Iowa State Vs Iowa may not be on Dish

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
BTN, Dish Network at impasse, deal ends Aug. 31 | TheGazette

Just came across this looks like Dish is set to lose the BTN on August 31st

DISH has been working overtime to hold the line on fees for their customers. One of the worst things to happen in televised sports was the BTN, which is essentially a regional sports channel, muscling their way into national carriage.

I am sure, from DISH's standpoint, getting BTN cheap or dumping them to a paid sports tier will go a long way toward rectifying the situation. The SEC is building their own network now, and a precedent is being set for the future.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
DISH has it as essentially a regional sports channel already, you only receive it if you live within a B1G state or if you subscribe to the Sports Extra package. Likely why they only want to pay so much for it as they do not have it as a national channel.

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
DISH took away AMC, so they have commercials running about it... Needless to say, but the BIG10 network is pretty regional to make everyone have it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
When the BTN started Dish fought hard to put it on the sports tier only. For national providers with national price points, it would be difficult to be forced to put a channel on basic for certain regions.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Typical Dish. It's not the first popular channel they've done this with, won't be the last. I know enough people with DirectTv that I'm not worrying about missing the game and it will be funny to watch my Hawk roommate (who loves BTN) go crazy if they pull it for an extended amount of time

Last edited:

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
I would be quite ****** about this. I missed one of the NCAA basketball games because DISH was fighting with a local channel. It lasted all of 2 days, but the timing was perfect.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I don't care. Dish can drop the BTN all together, and I wouldn't notice it apart from this game. And I can go out or watch at a friend's for one game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The timing is on purpose.

The BTN has the most leverage in negotiations at the beginning of football season. It's obvious that's when they would prefer to have this fight.

If you want consumers to complain on your behalf, it better be when something they want to watch would be on.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
DISH took away AMC, so they have commercials running about it... Needless to say, but the BIG10 network is pretty regional to make everyone have it.

Correction: AMC demanded a huge rate increase and Dish told them where to go with it. These rate increases companies have been demanding more and more are a big reason all of our cable\sat bills keep going up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The timing is on purpose.

The BTN has the most leverage in negotiations at the beginning of football season. It's obvious that's when they would prefer to have this fight.

If you want consumers to complain on your behalf, it better be when something they want to watch would be on.

Yep, its just like when the local affiliates would demand a deal be reached right before the super bowl. They could extend it and make sure consumers are taken care of, but after then they lose their leverage.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
I was planning to drop the Sports Pack after the game anyway. I will just go to BWW and watch. Not paying a bunch more money for DirecTV.

Just switched to Cable from Directv. Really liked Directv - didn't like the fact it limited the number of tvs you could have by the amount you were willing to pay. Cable with all of the channels that I got with Directv cost about $40 per month LESS and we have it on a lot more TV's hooked up now. The downfall (kind of?) is that in the South they don't offer BTN on cable- oh well - one game potentially every two years and possibly a basketball game every other year that will have to find a buddy with Directv. Still get FOX Sports SW and an alternate channel that I think will play some games - should be covered for this year other than the one game on BTN

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I hope that no Cyclone fans call in to complain about this. The BTN and their strong arming of cable companies just about destroyed college sports from an ISU perspective.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I hope that no Cyclone fans call in to complain about this. The BTN and their strong arming of cable companies just about destroyed college sports from an ISU perspective.

Yup. In the creation of the BTN the seed was planted for the destruction of the Big 12 as we knew it. We are actually pretty fortunate things worked out well for ISU in the end.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

The main reason not to call and complain is because nobody made you pick Dish Network in the first place. Except maybe your wife. It's not the service a choice for anyone serious about watching sports. You order the ladies satellite service, you get what you get for sports. Besides, who would you call, Jim Delany?
:twitcy:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The main reason not to call and complain is because nobody made you pick Dish Network in the first place. Except maybe your wife. It's not the service a choice for anyone serious about watching sports. You order the ladies satellite service, you get what you get for sports. Besides, who would you call, Jim Delany?
:twitcy:

Aside from this, what else would dish not have? I know from the last basketball season that I would have gotten several more ISU games than I got with cable. Now that Sunday ticket is available for all, I don't really see the sports benefit of other providers.

I am looking at dish just because of the superior equipment and easier to use guide. If I am missing something that DTV offers then I might re-evaluate.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron