Iowa State will beat Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere
Guys, lay off Waco... I love Ames, but plenty to make fun of...but more importantly, Waco is a pretty alright place, have done business down there for 15 years, it growing and developing...Brazos is great and plenty to do...never been to game, but town is good and ladies are quite nice in certain areas...if u want a laid back town bar restaurant, go to Georges, have a Big o and a burger

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Waco's population is more than double the size of Ames. Waco's population growth rate is 4X Ames' growth rate. And of course the State of Texas growth rate in population is over 6X greater than Iowa's.

Cheap illegal labor. Yeah, that bubble's not gonna burst. :D

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
And ames is any better? Nope.

Ames is a much nicer city than Waco. It routinely wins awards for being one of the best small cities to live in in the United States.

The Baylor campus is really nice, but the rest of the town is a dump.

Ames is small, but it's nice. Most of the people who rip Ames have never been here.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Sammy, don't let them get to you. I've been to Ames many times. Nice little town, but sort of dying like the rest of the upper midwest. Anyone knows where the real growth is located. Hell, ISU can't even keep it's graduates in Iowa. Most move to Texas.

Waco's population is more than double the size of Ames. Waco's population growth rate is 4X Ames' growth rate. And of course the State of Texas growth rate in population is over 6X greater than Iowa's.

Ames grew from 52,000 to 60,000 between 2000 and 2010. Try again.

Ames, and Central Iowa in general, isn't dying at all. The Des Moines metro is constantly at the top of "Best City for...." lists, and that growth is helping Ames.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
The Cyclones WILL, beat Baylor!

jafar_king.jpg

Reactions: isulive2train

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Saturday night can't get here fast enough. If last weekend's debacle is making me miserable, I can only imagine how amped up the players and coaching staff are to get on the field and turn things around.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Baylor averages like 45 points a game...

ISU....about 20ppg (if you just include regulation of Iowa Game)

Thatis all I need to know about this game. In Waco...

Baylor 37 - ISU 17
Our offense is a B- . But when you count the Penalties and Turnovers....about a D+ which leads to the Defense giving up points.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
The biggest key to the game is ISU needs to do everything they can to shut down kendal wright. The second half of the TCU and KSU games wright got doubled or the defense shaded to him. When that happen Baylor didn't do anything on offense. Make the other WR beat you or RG with his legs. Take out their best weapon and ISU can win.

But then again saying take Wright out of the game is easier said then done.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Dude are you seriously going to use that list as a reference? Fargo, ND! Sioux Falls, SD!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, keep on doing the town smack. I guess that means you know you are going to be destroyed on Saturday!!!!! hahhahahahahahahaha!!!!

Seriously man, you have no room to "lol" any other town. Waco is to Texas what Waterloo is to Iowa... nobody who isn't from there wants to claim it as part of the state.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Guys, lay off Waco... I love Ames, but plenty to make fun of...but more importantly, Waco is a pretty alright place, have done business down there for 15 years, it growing and developing...Brazos is great and plenty to do...never been to game, but town is good and ladies are quite nice in certain areas...if u want a laid back town bar restaurant, go to Georges, have a Big o and a burger

completely agree and this whole debate is silly. Both places have nice things and people.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Seriously man, you have no room to "lol" any other town. Waco is to Texas what Waterloo is to Iowa... nobody who isn't from there wants to claim it as part of the state.

Exactly.

You can call Ames "small" and accuse it of lacking large scale culture, but you can't call it a dump.

Waco is by almost all reports, a dump. Although BU's actual campus is nice.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Oh man. All of this Ames vs. Waco smack reminds me of the Ames vs. Manhattan arguments. Then, KSU became a new "rival" of ours. If Mizzou leaves, we lose a rival. I think this only means one thing:

Baylor will be our new rival. :twitcy:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Manhattan >>>>>>> Waco

Manhattan is just really, really rural. It's not bad, there's just sheep grazing across the street from BSFS. It's even less cosmopolitan than Ames, but its a lot nicer place than Waco.

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
Iowa State WILL BEAT Baylor... too bad Chris Williams sold out for channel 13 to predict a Baylor victory 41-30.... really ??? :mad:

Oh well.... rather pass on the $$$ and say... STATE will WIN !

Confidently !

GO STATE !
Rhoads Crew - on Facebook

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Yeah, just like down in Norman, after the Utah loss last year.

I don't mean to be an ***, but there is as much history that says we get blown out of this game as there is that says we show up to play.

I just haven't seen any hope that we stop the ******* mistakes. It's a pattern that's tough to break.

And then we beat texas the next game, im hoping baylor replaces texas this year

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
We shut down one of the best receivers in the country when we played Iowa. I think ISU will come ready to play this game and is capable of doing the same against Baylor.

1- I agree that you will come ready to play and will have a very good chance at beating us.

2- Shutting down McNutt was a great effort by your D but to a certain extent played into utilizing your strongest personnel. You had one elite corner in LJ to match with one elite WR in McNutt. Their formations rarely used multiple WR and their running game didn't really utilize the option run plays we do. This makes it apples to oranges. If LJ is shutting down our outside WR thats fine and good but what happens to your safeties and nickel defender? Shutting down a WR in a 2 wr power handoff offense is quite different than stopping a spread pass & option run team in terms of how you defend them.

Your best personnel is 4 line, 3 backers, and 4 dbs. Your backers are great taking on blocks and having them and your safeties near the line takes some pressure off your smaller DEs in the run game.

A team attacking you with 4 WR changes things as now your DEs have less help in the run game and you either have 1 LB on the field or give up coverage flexibility with 2 LBs as the 2nd won't run with Wright or Reese.

3- Your base defense is probably better at defending Iowa than TCU would be. However their DL and safeties probably match up better against us. If RG3 had simply missed his difficult deep throws for TDs against man coverage you would have had similar results to what TCU did to several teams last year. If you also take away the 2 WR passes that we tricked them with for 55 yards you get the following:

58.6%
5.33 per play and more pedestrian results.

Take our game against them last year and give us the 3 bad drops for 30 yards to start off. Then give us the wide open deep route where our slot had burned their safety on what would have been a 73 yard bomb RG3 flat out missed.

It goes from 263 yards and less than 5 per play to 366 and 6.5 a pop.

The TCU D is still very good. Both BU and SMU had guys open last year and protected the QB pretty well in 2010 vs the Frogs but simply kept missing the throws. RG3 is much improved throwing it and SMU has a more accurate QB and the results are pretty self explanatory. They replaced 2 safety starters and 2 DL who with experienced backups who were semi starters recently. They replaced 1 corner with a top JUCO guy. The overall talent is still very good and their best DL guys are still there with Maponga and Yendrey.

June Jones on TCU's defense compared to last year before their game:

To outsiders, TCU looks vulnerable this year. Not so for SMU head coach June Jones, who said the Horned Frogs look as tough as ever.

"They look exactly the same to me," Jones said. "They've done a great job with their schemes [on] both sides of the ball, and just recruiting and plugging in new bodies."

SMU and TCU to renew old rivalry Saturday | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

4- Our offense is probably the first offense you will see this year that will attack you in a similar fashion to how Tech and Utah went after you. UConn and Iowa use power run mainly, UNI doesn't throw it much, and Texas will only occasionally go with the spread plays as they do a little of everything with Harsin.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92
Status
Not open for further replies.