Iowa State Wrestling tournament

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
I'd add Chet Buss (Jr. 1A HWT for North Butler) to that list. He had 2 losses his freshman year. One was early in the season to a senior that placed 7th in 2A (lost 6-5) and the other was at districts where he got caught and pinned by another senior who went on to place 3rd at 1A (but that kid lost in the finals so Buss didn't even make state though he likely would have placed high). Since, he's won every match and has pinned all but maybe a handful of guys. This year I don't think he's wrestled beyond the 2nd period and will likely pin his way to a title. Barring something unforeseen he will graduate as a 3x state champ with 2 career losses at the toughest weight for a freshman to compete at. He's not a flub, as he's built and a phenomenal athlete.

He's also a first team all-state defensive lineman. He's probably flying under the radar a bit as North Butler isn't very good at football. Because of the latter I also don't think he does a lot of off-season wrestling though I may be mistaken.
When he was a freshman, he played WR in Fball and was around 250lbs.... their team (North Butler) sucked and putting him at WR was entertaining, but ridiculous. His dad went to U of I to play football.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
When he was a freshman, he played WR in Fball and was around 250lbs.... their team (North Butler) sucked and putting him at WR was entertaining, but ridiculous. His dad went to U of I to play football.
I help coach a little bit at a school that played North Butler last year. He threw a punch or did something like that and got ejected. Got that wrestling temper but holy cow he's built like a truck

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
Not sure. They never came out to the dials. North Carolina redknecks were the worst.
Not as bad as the smug, wacky parents here in California.

Lots of talented high schoolers out here, but nothing compares to the excitement of the Iowa state meet.

Aidan Noonan is headed to Wyoming, right? If so, it’ll be good to see him compete in the Big 12.

Reactions: cyclonenation5

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah, he put on 20-25 pounds and it would be unnoticeable.
Agree. A few years in a college weight program and he can be a ripped full size heavy at that height.

There will be a longer development, but his upside is pretty remarkable.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Was there any huge upsets, so far this year?
Was there anyone trying for their 4th title?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

The football teams were really good for Greene from the late 80s throughout the 90s (wrestling was really good in the last 90s as well), but really tailed off in the new millennium and have flat out sucked since the merger with Allison. Ironically the girls teams were a powerhouse (specifically basketball) despite the Greene teams being mostly pitiful for the previous decade. Now, aside from a few wrestlers, they aren't very good at anything (girls or boys).

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I help coach a little bit at a school that played North Butler last year. He threw a punch or did something like that and got ejected. Got that wrestling temper but holy cow he's built like a truck

His dad was a good athlete (all-state football) for Allison in the mid-90s. He's got a good bloodline for size and athleticism but it's probably hard for him to improve his skillset has he really doesn't get challenged much. North Butler certainly doesn't have anyone that can give him a go in their room.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Was there any huge upsets, so far this year?
Was there anyone trying for their 4th title?

Matthew Lewis (Centerville) is still going for his 4th title tonight. Think he's the only one who had the potential coming into the tournament. Anyone know why he's at 145 though? Early season he wrestled 132 regularly. I know Ayala bumped up one weight class, but that seems mostly to avenge his loss to Block as they'll meet in the finals tonight.

There are a few guys in the sophomore and junior classes who can win their 2nd or 3rd tonight to stay on track for 4.

Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I'd add Chet Buss (Jr. 1A HWT for North Butler) to that list. He had 2 losses his freshman year. One was early in the season to a senior that placed 7th in 2A (lost 6-5) and the other was at districts where he got caught and pinned by another senior who went on to place 3rd at 1A (but that kid lost in the finals so Buss didn't even make state though he likely would have placed high). Since, he's won every match and has pinned all but maybe a handful of guys. This year I don't think he's wrestled beyond the 2nd period and will likely pin his way to a title. Barring something unforeseen he will graduate as a 3x state champ with 2 career losses at the toughest weight for a freshman to compete at. He's not a flub, as he's built and a phenomenal athlete.

He's also a first team all-state defensive lineman. He's probably flying under the radar a bit as North Butler isn't very good at football. Because of the latter I also don't think he does a lot of off-season wrestling though I may be mistaken.

Is this Richard Buss's grandson? *ick was a big grain farmer around Clarksville back in the 80's & 90's when I was managing/merchandising the Elevator in Clarksville, Waverly and Waterloo. I bought a lot of grain from him and he was a real nice guy.

I can't believe it won't let me type Rick with a D!!

Reactions: NWICY and cyputz

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is this Richard Buss's grandson? *ick was a big grain farmer around Clarksville back in the 80's & 90's when I was managing/merchandising the Elevator in Clarksville, Waverly and Waterloo. I bought a lot of grain from him and he was a real nice guy.

I can't believe it won't let me type Rick with a D!!
You can’t be a **** but you can be a bag of dicks.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
3A getting interesting heading into the placement matches.

CLASS 3APTS12
3​
Waverly-Shell Rock141.55
1​
2​
Waukee138.04
2​
2​
Southeast Polk125.02
4​
0​

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not as bad as the smug, wacky parents here in California.

Lots of talented high schoolers out here, but nothing compares to the excitement of the Iowa state meet.

Aidan Noonan is headed to Wyoming, right? If so, it’ll be good to see him compete in the Big 12.

There was nothing like the Iowa state meet at Vets. Just complete chaos and extremely loud.

Reactions: CycloneDaddy