Iowa v Iowa State Tailgate

twoEIGHTdoubleO

Nov 21, 2011
I need some advice on tailgating in Iowa City. I have a couple trucks and about 10-15 guys that will be hanging out most of the day for the tailgate, and I'd like to get something set up before we get to IC on Saturday morning. I have been to the game before, but never responsible for finding spots.

Questions:
Anyone know an IC resident that is willing to rent out their yard (close to Kinnick) -pm me?
What are the best cash lots to park in?
What time should I arrive (driving from the south side of Cedar Rapids -I know last time we got up at 4:30 and got on the road to arrive near Kinnick at 5am)?
Any other general tips (I am aware of the public urination and the fact that IC is super spread out)?

Thanks!

twoEIGHT

P.S. I heard Jake Lattimer is going to start opposite Julius Peppers for Chicago as a walk-on.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I swore off tailgating in Iowa City years ago due to the giant clusterF- nature of that stinkhole. However, I do know that Finkbine golf course is the popular tailgate these days - at least the one that is accessible to randoms like yourself.

That's all I've got. You could probably google it to find more information.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I need some advice on tailgating in Iowa City. I have a couple trucks and about 10-15 guys that will be hanging out most of the day for the tailgate, and I'd like to get something set up before we get to IC on Saturday morning. I have been to the game before, but never responsible for finding spots.

Questions:
Anyone know an IC resident that is willing to rent out their yard (close to Kinnick) -pm me?
What are the best cash lots to park in?
What time should I arrive (driving from the south side of Cedar Rapids -I know last time we got up at 4:30 and got on the road to arrive near Kinnick at 5am)?
Any other general tips (I am aware of the public urination and the fact that IC is super spread out)?

Thanks!

twoEIGHT

P.S. I heard Jake Lattimer is going to start opposite Julius Peppers for Chicago as a walk-on.

Sounds like you already know about tailgating in IC since you've done it before. Spots are hard to come by and are ******. This is a pic of friends of ours tailgating in hok land in the 70's: View attachment 13543

Last edited:

c'mon tank

Feb 4, 2008
I swore off tailgating in Iowa City years ago due to the giant clusterF- nature of that stinkhole. However, I do know that Finkbine golf course is the popular tailgate these days - at least the one that is accessible to randoms like yourself.

That's all I've got. You could probably google it to find more information.

I used to tailgate in the Finkbine lot with some Iowa friends. They informed me that the lot is now permit only. I cannot confirm.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Years ago, we parked in church parking lots, but they've gotten pretty commercial and I think are available only on a season basis. In 2010, we ended up in the public lot down the street from the dental college. Tight parking and crowded, but it was relatively close to the stadium. Didn't hassle anyone, and didn't get hassled.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
We did the softball fields last time, it was a million miles from the stadium, but we were able to get our group all in 1 spot.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I'm not sure if they still allow it, but when I tailgated there in '04 and '06, we were at a lot at either the dental college or law college, (not sure which one), but that was a public lot. I know a lot of people tailgate at the performing arts venue (Hancher?) and ride the shuttle to the stadium.

In general though, tailgating in IC is not conducive to visitors and for the most part, basically sucks as it pertains to traditional lot tailgating.

TedFlintKansas

Mar 5, 2009
thetailgatesociety.com
In general though, tailgating in IC is not conducive to visitors and for the most part, basically sucks as it pertains to traditional lot tailgating.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100 percent, I've had everything from full beers to a cup of **** thrown at me in Iowa City for these games. So needless to say I don't tailgate there anymore. But from what I remember, from 2000 to 2006 the best place to be was the Magic School Bus tailgates, I dont know if that is still an option though. With the magic school bus you dont have to bring beer, you can just buy it there.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Seems the consensus on tailgating for this game is: don't. Iowa City is an awful place on game day. Or any day for that matter.

I'll probably just watch it at a bar in Cedar Crapids, hopefully with as few tavern hawks as possible in the vicinity.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Seems the consensus on tailgating for this game is: don't. Iowa City is an awful place on game day. Or any day for that matter.

I'll probably just watch it at a bar in Cedar Crapids, hopefully with as few tavern hawks as possible in the vicinity.
QFT.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
You pretty much need to know someone who has got their spot all picked out and set up. Then you just park far away and walk into somones backyard and have fun. If you don't know anyone you are best off just cruising around with a backpack with snacks and drinks.