Iowa was getting pressured in regards to ISU/B1G

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Thought this deserved its own thread - in the actual audio of that Ohio State athletics council meeting back in December for which Gordon Gee is getting heat - Iowa State was brought up

https://soundcloud.com/sportsillustrated/ohio-state-president-gordon-1

Go to about the 11:35 mark and Gee mentions that Iowa was facing "tremendous pressure" in regards to ISU and the Big Ten, but there was no interest on the Big Ten side.

Thought this was quite interesting, actually.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Makes sense on both sides. I'm sure that if the Big XII had fallen apart and the B1G had snapped up a few schools Iowa would have been forced by the state government to advocate for us to be one of them.

And from the B1G side literally the only single thing they care about is TV markets you bring. And ISU doesn't bring any TV markets that you don't already get with Iowa. So we wouldn't be attractive to them at all in that respect.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Does not surprise me at all. There was a point where we were face down in the water, and I'm assuming there was various people around the State calling officials in Iowa City to put pressure on getting ISU a look. Im also not surprised that there was no interest from the Big 10.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Also, remember, this is after the grant of rights and everything with the Big 12. It's from just a few months ago, not when we were going thru the other two summers of realignment craziness.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Also, remember, this is after the grant of rights and everything with the Big 12. It's from just a few months ago, not when we were going thru the other two summers of realignment craziness.
Wow crazy that the actual c comment was the story. There is a lot there. Sounds like they eventually plan on going after missouri and kansas and are worried about the political pressure isu would place if they tore into the big 12.
They are some arrogant S.O.B.s in the B1G

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Quote:

"We had to deal with some of those in-state rivalries [with regard to expansion]. One of the problems we face is that Iowa has tremendous pressure about Iowa State. We're not interested in Iowa State. We are interested in Missouri and Kansas eventually, I think."

This does not surprise me - I am certain that government officials and Regents were putting heavy pressure on UI to advocate for ISU in the Big Ten. I would imagine that UI made a halfhearted case knowing that it wouldn't go anywhere, anyway.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In addition to the arrogance (perhaps justified arrogance about cash),he is in completely ridiculous denial about the quality of Big Ten football.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just when I think I couldn't hate the B1G and Jim Delaney more than I already do.

If the B1G is serious about KU and MU, they should bring in MU now with no penalty from the SEC and lay the groundwork for KU down the road after the Grant of Rights expires.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just when I think I couldn't hate the B1G and Jim Delaney more than I already do.

If the B1G is serious about KU and MU, they should bring in MU now with no penalty from the SEC and lay the groundwork for KU down the road after the Grant of Rights expires.

They'd be dumb to lock in at 16 adding that much bad to average football to an already bad football conference.

If I were them I'd stay at 14 if one of the two isn't a football power in a new recruiting region. I wouldn't have gone to 14 for Rutgers and Maryland though. It's going to take quite a non-conf for a Big Ten team to crack top 40 SOS.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
looks like the B1G has plans to continue to be egomaniacs and cause further troubles with our conference in the future. Hopefully the BigXII is out in front on the KU issue before that time comes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
looks like the B1G has plans to continue to be egomaniacs and cause further troubles with our conference in the future. Hopefully the BigXII is out in front on the KU issue before that time comes.

If I were a KU basketball fan I'd be terrified of going to the Big Ten and having to play 5 on 5 instead of 8 on 5. I can't see Big Ten officials giving them dead ball 3 pointers and fixing crucial games for them against MSU, Mich, Indiana and Ohio State.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I hate the Big Suck, they just do not know when to stop ruining the college game do they? If that actually happens where in the hell is Iowa State going to go?

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
If/when B1G takes Mizzou AND KU over ISU (with the veil of academic BS), ISU should be prepared to pressure politicians to remove tax exempt status from college athletic departments, and if that fails, sue the B1G?????

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
If/when B1G takes Mizzou AND KU over ISU (with the veil of academic BS), ISU should be prepared to pressure politicians to remove tax exempt status from college athletic departments, and if that fails, sue the B1G?????
We lose a lot of muscle when harkin and grassley go.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If I were a KU basketball fan I'd be terrified of going to the Big Ten and having to play 5 on 5 instead of 8 on 5. I can't see Big Ten officials giving them dead ball 3 pointers and fixing crucial games for them against MSU, Mich, Indiana and Ohio State.

Also, why would KU basketball want to go the the Big 10 when the Big 12 conference tournament is in Kansas City and the Big 10s are played in Chicago and Indianapolis?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We lose a lot of muscle when harkin and grassley go.

I'm actually worried about this. But as long as nothing happens with the GOR then 2026 is a long ways away and it is impossible to know what the college sports landscape will look like then.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is in Iowa's best interest for the Big 10 to go after Kansas and Missouri. If ISU can't find a viable landing spot, This would essentially take ISU off the board for major college athletics and leave Iowa as the lone major D-1 program in the state. They will no longer have to compete with ISU for fans and recruits.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The B1G are a bunch of idiots. All they see is TV markets and this leads them to add schools like Maryland and Rutgers that are going to further drain the quality of the conference. No one is going to get excited about a Minnesota vs. Maryland matchup. I don't care if it is theoretically adding TV markets, it's also turning the B1G into a total joke.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The B1G brand is diluted and they did it all in the name of money. Adding Nebraska was a solid addition, then they got greedy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron