Iowa's Green Big 10 player of the year

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008
Doak Walker = maybe
1st team All-American = maybe
Heisman Finalist = top ten, but not top five to be invited.

I would still list the top five as:

Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Michael Crabtree
Colt McCoy
Mark Sanchez

You don't have to be top 5 to be invited, actually, but one of your picks is laughable. Mark Sanchez? LOL

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Mark Sanchez will not be invited to NYC, nor should he

Maybe or maybe not but he is the QB for a 1 loss team that gets plenty of media coverage and has a history of players winning the heisman. We can not say the same for Iowa and the thing is, sports writers look at that kind of coverage and history when they cast their ballots.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No doubt. I just think this is the best OU team that Stoops has had and they know they need to make a statement to jump Texas in the BCS standings. It has the makings for an epic beating

Really? I think the 2001 BCS championship team would disagree with you...

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008
Maybe or maybe not but he is the QB for a 1 loss team that gets plenty of media coverage and has a history of players winning the heisman. We can not say the same for Iowa and the thing is, sports writers look at that kind of coverage and history when they cast their ballots.

How do you know what sports writers look at when they cast their ballots?

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Humor me and argue for Maclin and Moreno over Greene.

I love the internet bullies around here ... DolphLundgren!!! Read the post a little closer and you would notice that I placed those names against Sanchez, not Greene.

My argument is this, Iowa plays in the Big 10 which is not as strong as it used to be. Iowa does not play on national television, unlike many of the other players listed. Finally, Iowa has no history of heisman and Iowa, IMO, has not portrayed and advertised Greene as a heisman finalist unlike many other players listed.

I currently live in Missouri and just moved here from Oklahoma and nobody in either state has really heard of Greene. That is what I am getting at!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hunter still has one VERY high profile game. He already has 1434 yards. Lets say he has 150 yards rushing and another 40 receiving against Oklahoma. He could very well be in the argument for best running back, especially against a top 10 rushing defense....

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Really? I think the 2001 BCS championship team would disagree with you...

I'm sure they would. I hope they would. Just like the 80's Lakers would argue that they were better than the Lakers of 7 years ago.

It's all an opinion. OU's defense was better in 01. But their offense is 10X better this year. Bradford is a way better QB and their RB's are great

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I love the internet bullies around here ... DolphLundgren!!! Read the post a little closer and you would notice that I placed those names against Sanchez, not Greene.

My argument is this, Iowa plays in the Big 10 which is not as strong as it used to be. Iowa does not play on national television, unlike many of the other players listed. Finally, Iowa has no history of heisman and Iowa, IMO, has not portrayed and advertised Greene as a heisman finalist unlike many other players listed.

I currently live in Missouri and just moved here from Oklahoma and nobody in either state has really heard of Greene. That is what I am getting at!

Iowa DOES have Nile Kinnick - that IS one more Heisman than a lot of schools have, including ISU...

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Greene is a very good back. If he is the best player in the Big 10, good for him and Iowa. Heck, I say you hawks give ol' KF another big raise. Put him just over Stoops and Saben.:biglaugh:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Hunter vs Greene

Hunter 210 1434 6.8 15 catches for 140 yards.

Greene
278 1729 6.2 8 catches 49 yards.

If Hunter had the same carries as SG he would have 1897 yards. He also has a receiver on his team with 1200 receiving yards. That guy is totally under appreciated.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Greene is very good and probably is the best player in the Big 10. Now, the real question is how much credit best guy in a very bad conference get? And the Big 10 is very bad. IL lost to a MAC team, WI should have lost to Cal-Poly! Heck Iowa was is real trouble at home against a horrible ISU team.

I know the national media just loves to try and figure out a way to have a Big 10 team in the BCS games, but every time the Big guns in the Big 11 have a chance to do something they fall on their faces. Ohio state was murdered by USC. Penn State was completely outclassed by Iowa. Without all the turnovers that game would not have been close.

Greene is very good and he would be at least good even behind the ISU line. I hope he gets all the awards he deserves, because he has really done a lot in a short period of time. Heisman is out of reach this year and I just don't think a guy that like school all that much is going to stay at Iowa another year when he is getting lots of looks from the pros.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Greene is very good and probably is the best player in the Big 10. Now, the real question is how much credit best guy in a very bad conference get? And the Big 10 is very bad. IL lost to a MAC team, WI should have lost to Cal-Poly! Heck Iowa was is real trouble at home against a horrible ISU team.

I know the national media just loves to try and figure out a way to have a Big 10 team in the BCS games, but every time the Big guns in the Big 11 have a chance to do something they fall on their faces. Ohio state was murdered by USC. Penn State was completely outclassed by Iowa. Without all the turnovers that game would not have been close.

Greene is very good and he would be at least good even behind the ISU line. I hope he gets all the awards he deserves, because he has really done a lot in a short period of time. Heisman is out of reach this year and I just don't think a guy that like school all that much is going to stay at Iowa another year when he is getting lots of looks from the pros.

1. The Big 10 has 1 auto-bid, didn't you know? There is no "figuring it out."

2. Iowa won that game by 1 point, it's hard to say that Iowa outclassed Penn State. The Hawks made the plays they had to make when they had to make them.

It's funny to read Cyclone fans trying to downplay the recognition that Greene is getting. Saying things like he only got all those yards because of his o-line, and even then only because he played in the Big 10, the Big 10 sucks, etc. The guy ran for 100 yards in every single game this year. More often than not, he was the best player on the field in every game. He didn't go to spring practice, didn't play last year, and his only goal going into this season was to make the team.

Why do you people feel the need to qualify everything the young man has accomplished? Why can't you look at his body of work and appreciate it for what it is? Or is that too hard?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Hunter vs Greene

Hunter 210 1434 6.8 15 catches for 140 yards.

Greene
278 1729 6.2 8 catches 49 yards.

If Hunter had the same carries as SG he would have 1897 yards. He also has a receiver on his team with 1200 receiving yards. That guy is totally under appreciated.

And if Greene had as many carries as Javon Ringer, he would have over 2200. I can play with stats too.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
i wouldn't mind seeing EIU in the Capital One Bowl so all the fans can see Cy win the All-American Mascot award. And ISU will be the best in honestly the only thing that matters and that is who has the better mascot

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
his only goal going into this season was to make the team.

Why do you people feel the need to qualify everything the young man has accomplished? Why can't you look at his body of work and appreciate it for what it is? Or is that too hard?

Well my friend that's what the start of this thread was all about if you had cared to look back.

We're Cyclone fans and it always mystifies me why Hawk fans are on a Cyclone site. I'm never over on yours...