IPA and Pale Ale Discussion

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
75 and sunny this weekend which means its IPA/Pale time while I work out in the yard.

Looking for suggestions to get out of my normal rotation of hoppy selections.

Discuss!

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I am hopping to find a few of these for saturday.
attachment.php

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 629

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I know this thread is about pale ales and IPAs but I really like hefeweizens when the weather warms up. Sierra Nevada makes a really good one called Kellerweis.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
can't go wrong with Surly. Furious or Todd the Axe Man. Light Speed and PsuedoSue from TG are good too. And if you want to go cheaper, I think New Belgium's Citradelic is very good for the price.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
CYCLNST8 is right, I've had several Odell beers in other states, they just came to Iowa. Great beers to try.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
We're expecting 8-14" of snow this weekend, but that will not stop me from drinking IPAs. A few nights ago I had the Melvin IPA from Jackson Hole, WY. It was absolutely fantastic and might be my new favorite. I really want to do a blind taste test between it and Pliny the Elder to see what I like better. I have a feeling Melvin would win. It has a very similar hop profile to PtE, but a maltier, sweeter finish that is really enjoyable.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
CYCLNST8 is right, I've had several Odell beers in other states, they just came to Iowa. Great beers to try.

Odell is really the local favorite in Fort Collins. I've found that more residents (myself included) prefer them to New Belgium or any of the other breweries here. It's also a really cool place to visit. They are constantly putting out small batch exclusives in their tap room that can't be found anywhere else. They have a really cool outdoor beer garden with a fire pit for the winter and a stage for live music.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm going on a work trip, next week, to a part of the country in the Three Floyds distribution area. I plan on bringing home plenty of Zombie Dust.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
IPAs - Really love Little Sumpin Sumpin, Stone, Boulevard Single Wide IPA and Boulevard The Calling IPA. Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA, and White IPA are both good. For something a little different - Firestone Wookey Jack - it's a Black Rye IPA. OK, I really just like about all IPAs.

And all throw in a plug for Boulevard 80 -Acre. It's a "Hoppy Wheat Beer." Kind of a mixture of IPA and Wheat Beer.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I really like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA. It's more mainstream than micro but still very good.

It probably makes a difference if you plan to "work, out in the yard" or "work out, in the yard"

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
IPAs - Really love Little Sumpin Sumpin, Stone, Boulevard Single Wide IPA and Boulevard The Calling IPA. For something a little different - Firestone Wookey Jack - it's a Black Rye IPA. OK, I really just like about all IPAs.

And all throw in a plug for Boulevard 80 -Acre. It's a "Hoppy Wheat Beer." Kind of a mixture of IPA and Wheat Beer.

What's the benefits package like, at Boulevard? Is it a good place to work? :jimlad:

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
ODell is fantastic. Heading to Denver tomorrow and thinking of swinging up to Ft Collins for a brew tour. Missed ODell last time out there.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I kind of dig the case of cans of Founders all day IPA. Decent IPA and it is relatively inexpensive and I just like drinking out of cans when I am mowing the lawn.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm going on a work trip, next week, to a part of the country in the Three Floyds distribution area. I plan on bringing home plenty of Zombie Dust.

Thursday is the delivery day in my area (Schaumburg, Roselle, Itasca) for ZD. Be prepared, if you want to get it, to be there on a Thursday. Sometimes it's still around by Friday afternoon, but not much longer than that. I suppose it depends how close you are to the brewery, but ZD is not usually produced in mass quantities. In general the 6 packs of 3Floyds usually go pretty quick. The Bombers tend to have the longest shelf time.

Back on topic: I don't know, it's probably blasphemy for a lot of craft beer drinkers, but Sierra Nevada PA is still my go to summer afternoon beer. It just touches all the needs of my palate without being too filling or too intoxicating.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
IPAs - Really love Little Sumpin Sumpin, Stone, Boulevard Single Wide IPA and Boulevard The Calling IPA. Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA, and White IPA are both good. For something a little different - Firestone Wookey Jack - it's a Black Rye IPA. OK, I really just like about all IPAs.

I think Little Sumpin Sumpin is also technically a hoppy wheat ale rather than an IPA. I enjoy them both.