is iowa state fun?

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
im going to be a freshman and am moving in in two weeks. what should i expect?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yes, its fun. Especially, the first week when everybody moves back to Ames before classes start. Craziness that week as everybody is happy to be back and in full party mode without the worries of studying and homework.
It might be a little stressful moving into your dorm, because its so busy and clustered, but once you get settled in you will have a great time.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
im going to be a freshman and am moving in in two weeks. what should i expect?

When you move in, make sure to keep your door open for the first few days (or all the time). It's a really easy way to meet people - met a bunch of guys to play basketball with my first couple days.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Best five years of my life. Is it hard work? Yes. (It should be, that's the point. Don't forget that.) Is it fun? Hell yes, if you want it to be. Every school on the planet says that they are unique, but I can say that I was able to have a combination of experiences at Iowa State that I literally never could have found at any other school. Now that I'm looking at graduate schools, I have even more appreciation for all the great things I had at ISU.

Study hard, play hard. That motto carried me through a lot.

(And don't pay any attention to the stupid things people are inevitably going to recommend in this thread. "Hurr durrr drink a lot lololol" is not worth the mental effort.)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Absofrigginlutely fun. The last 3 years have been the best 3 of my life. Get involved. Live a little. Realize you're going to **** up at some point, and your parents won't be too shocked as long as its nothing too terrible.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Is water wet?

The place is a blast. The first weekend the freshman girls are out in skirts and every house has a party. As fall progresses, the leaves on campus turn and football tailgaiting is king with games galore as everyone enjoys the last remains of fall before the deep freeze. Snow soon follows, but that just keeps campus blanked in beautiful white slumber and makes house parties even more fun as 200 people cram into a small house to stay warm and drink. Snow soon melts and VEISHEA arrives. People are back outside and the skirts return as well. Soon its summer and you can't wait to go back to Ames after spending 3 months in the real world. In between all these skirts and house parties, you have sleeping in class, sudoku, and mindless memorization to pass some final exam.

It is the greatest place in the world, just be sure not to fail out right away. Thats important.

Meet new people, find someone thats 21 to buy beer, and stay as long as you can.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTN5NHfwlQ]YouTube - Those Chubby Cheeks[/ame]

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
also im living in larch...is that a good dorm to be in? the coed floors are nice.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Don't forget why you're there. If you want to spend $10k on a one year drinking vacation, you might as well travel the world rather than go to Ames, IA.

That being said, don't stress out too much. Work hard and show the professors you care and things will take care of themselves.

I graduated a few years ago and while the money is nice, the real world sucks compared to college.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
also im living in larch...is that a good dorm to be in? the coed floors are nice.

Door open. Meet people. Sit in the den on your floor and **** around. Eat with the people on your floor. Go to the rec. Go out on weekends. Be intelligent during the week.

Don't start skipping class the first week or you'll set a trend and be on probation by second semester. Learn the bus routes if you don't wanna walk. Orange serves pretty much all of campus. Before classes start, figure out where all of your classes are and walk to the places if you don't know.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
is iowa state fun?
It is all about what YOU make it. You have to remember that the academic part of college comes first. At the same time, you have to be able to balance things, most importantly your time. I read somewhere (and I'll try to find it to post it here) that the number one reason students flunked out of college was the lack of managing their time usefully. I'm not trying to tell you this to scare you, I'm saying it to inform you. This is coming from a guy who flunked out of Iowa State.

Honestly, I didn't manage my time of school and fun. It wasn't that I had too much fun, it was that I didn't have enough. I didn't attempt to have a social life when I was in college. It ultimately drove me nuts. Then it was the end of the semester and I was mad at myself for not trying harder.

Just remember: Manage your time. Have fun and remember what comes first, the academics.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Door open. Meet people. Sit in the den on your floor and **** around. Eat with the people on your floor. Go to the rec. Go out on weekends. Be intelligent during the week.

Don't start skipping class the first week or you'll set a trend and be on probation by second semester. Learn the bus routes if you don't wanna walk. Orange serves pretty much all of campus. Before classes start, figure out where all of your classes are and walk to the places if you don't know.
This.

Also go to club fest. There are so many organizations and clubs to be a part of.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's also a multi-faceted question (or a question w/ multi-faceted answers? :biglaugh:) ... depends if you're talking about social/academic/atmosphere expectations ... or "other."

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Don't be afraid to ask your CA questions. They know a lot about ISU and are definitely willing to help. Be involved with the floor activities.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Don't be afraid to ask your CA questions. They know a lot about ISU and are definitely willing to help. Be involved with the floor activities.
This.

The people of Iowa State are more than willing to help you, but you have to make sure to ask for it.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I'm going into my junior year and these have been the best two years of my life. Yeah the school work sucks but the experience outweighs that tenfold. Make sure to meet lots of people, the more contacts you have, the more parties you have to attend on the weekends:wink:. My first year I ended up spending a little more time having fun than I did doing homework. Depending on your major, mine is engineering, you can't do this sort of thing. Really try to figure out some good study habits, it took me until sophomore year to figure this out. But lastly, go out and have fun. There is nothing better than working hard on school work all week and rewarding yourself with some major partying on the weekends.