Is Iowa State missing out on this money grab?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What part of the article are you referring to? The neutral site games? Because those are driven by networks and ratings, and ISU it's not in a position to have one of those games, and likely never will.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So "bowl" games at the start of the season.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
At least that link shows the going rate for a G5 team playing at a P5 school is close to $1 million or maybe higher. That would be the price of playing 7 home games every year. Instead of home-and-homes we would spend about $1 million a year to add a home game every other year. That very well may be worth it but for now Pollard thinks it isn't.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
In the next few years, I think it would be better for the health of our football program to focus on winning more games (and getting bowl eligible) than it would be to go play @ Alabama as a sacrificial lamb just to collect a paycheck in the non-con.

Now, if and when we're in the top half of the big 12 for a couple years in a row, then I could see taking a chance - and paycheck - doing something like that.

• Funny
Reactions: cyched44

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
At least that link shows the going rate for a G5 team playing at a P5 school is close to $1 million or maybe higher. That would be the price of playing 7 home games every year. Instead of home-and-homes we would spend about $1 million a year to add a home game every other year. That very well may be worth it but for now Pollard thinks it isn't.
Are we even doing home and homes? Isn't it a 2-1 trade?

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I believe Toledo, Tulsa, and Akron were all home and homes. I just looked at the scheduled non con games through 2020 and I don't see a single road non con game other than Iowa. We still have an open date in 2019. I swore we previously had future road non con games, did something change?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
In the next few years, I think it would be better for the health of our football program to focus on winning more games (and getting bowl eligible) than it would be to go play @ Alabama as a sacrificial lamb just to collect a paycheck in the non-con.

Now, if and when we're in the top half of the big 12 for a couple years in a row, then I could see taking a chance - and paycheck - doing something like that.

These kind of deals are planned 5-10 years out.

Gary Stokan, the president and CEO of Peach Bowl, Inc., said there will be a proliferation of such agreements in the future between high-profile teams. Citing his organization’s games for the next three years, as well as a recently announced deal between Wisconsin and Notre Dame for games in 2020 at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field and 2021 at Chicago’s Soldier Field, Stokan said AD’s like the financial deals, coaches like boosting their schedule strength for the College Football Playoff selection committee, fans like games unlikely to be blowouts, players like the elite competition and TV executives like the prospect of high ratings.

“There’s not a downside,” he said. “Everyone wins in this type of format.”

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
No - We need to do whatever increases our chances of going to a 6-6 bowl game !! :)
PS: and we need to drop Iowa :) :).

".....Appalachian State coach Scott Satterfield gets a $10,000 bonus if his squad plays a Power Five team at that team’s stadium, which the Mountaineers will do Saturday at Georgia in exchange for $1.25 million..."

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Didn't we play Florida St. In KC?

I have no idea what you're talking about

giphy.gif

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

No, it's home-and-homes. We had at least one buy game series scheduled recently, I think, but it got cancelled. San Jose State got converted into a buy game, and it looks like we might have another coming up. Here is what has happened recently and what will happen in terms of that 12th game series.

Tulsa (Home '12, Road '13)
Toledo (H 14, R 15)
San Jose State (H 16, R scheduled but later cancelled)
Akron (R 17, H 18)
UNLV (H 20, R 21)
Ohio (H 22, R 23)
Arkansas State (H 24, R 25)

One interesting thing is we have a home game against Louisiana-Monroe scheduled for 2019. I don't know if there is a return game TBD, but if there is it wouldn't be until 2027 at the earliest. This means that instead of our current 6/7/6/7 rotation of home games per year, we will have a nice three-year set of 7 home games starting next year in 2018.

Edit: That ULM game is not listed on Cyclones.com, but it is on the site I looked to for future football schedules, so I am guessing it's probably too good to be true.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And paying UNI just $400,000 to come here is a huge bargain, as I've pointed out before.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
And paying UNI just $400,000 to come here is a huge bargain, as I've pointed out before.

FCS schools get paid less than G5 for buy games, so that's not a real comparison. In fact, that chart shows $400k is about average or maybe a little above average for an FCS buy game.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
FCS schools get paid less than G5 for buy games, so that's not a real comparison. In fact, that chart shows $400k is about average or maybe a little above average for an FCS buy game.
No, that's not a real comparison. Except for William and Mary at Virginia, the FCS schools that receive less than $400,000 are playing at non-P5 schools, and with smaller stadiums.
UNI is giving us a bargain.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
Neutral site games are a blast and there is a lot of money to be made for both schools. But until isu starts winning some games no one will be begging to see them play Clemson at Jerry World.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
No - We need to do whatever increases our chances of going to a 6-6 bowl game !! :)
PS: and we need to drop Iowa :) :).

..."

Losing to Iowa kinda of means ISU isn't going to have a good season in terms of wins anyway.:)