Is it bad....

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
If I have a Mechanics test tomorrow after noon and I have no desire to study. It's one of those tests that you get anywhere between 30-70 percent on teh final and you get a C. All I wanna do is sit on here, and read Cyclone Fanatic and not study. It's my last final of 5 this week.

Anyone else have this problem?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Yes.

But, I am fighting the urge to not study (Mechanics) by heading off to the library to meet with some friends to study. Good luck.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Mechanics wasn't that bad if I recall. Ours was 4 show your work problems and if you've studied the old tests, it's similar. Just wait til you get to Concrete or Steels design :wink: (unless you dont have to take those)

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Mechanics isn't that bad, I have Sturges, the only thing that beats me is you miss 1 little number and you get docked 5 points on the test. I have to take those later on, and I hear those are horrible. Got structures and formwork next semester so it outta be a grand old time

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I use to laugh at all my engineer friends in college because they were always studying. 6 years after graduating they all make about twice as much as me and now they laugh at me. Moral of the story ... study now and enjoy the riches later.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Mechanics isn't that bad, I have Sturges, the only thing that beats me is you miss 1 little number and you get docked 5 points on the test. I have to take those later on, and I hear those are horrible. Got structures and formwork next semester so it outta be a grand old time

I had Sturges when I took that class, although it was about 4 years ago now (Graduated in 2005). What a horrible experience. :sad:

I considered myself a pretty good student, did good in all my classes. But Sturges was a different beast.

Leroy owned my a**. It didn't matter how much I studied, Sturges brought the pain and never used vasoline. My cornhole still hurts :twitcy:

Maybe Mechanics wasn't my thing, but I know at least a few of my engineering friends and I would agree that he made us fight for our engineering lives.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Mechanics wasn't that bad if I recall. Ours was 4 show your work problems and if you've studied the old tests, it's similar. Just wait til you get to Concrete or Steels design :wink: (unless you dont have to take those)

Try taking Steel Design, Senior Design, Highway Design, & a graduate level traffic engineering class the same semester. Yikes!!

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Do they still have the combined Statics and Dynamics class?? When I went to school in the early-mid 90's I had Sturges also, but the class met 5 days a week and combined the two.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Do they still have the combined Statics and Dynamics class?? When I went to school in the early-mid 90's I had Sturges also, but the class met 5 days a week and combined the two.

The Mechanics class I took (in 2002) was a combined Statics and Mechanics (for 5 credits) class, we met 5 days a week, and I had it with Sturges. I believe spring 2003 was the last year they offered the combined class, at the time I graduated, Statics, Dynamics and Mechanics were all separate 3 credit classes, your couldn't take any of them combined.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Yes.
I'm trying to study for law school finals, Constitutional Law tomorrow (Wednesday) and Wills and Trusts Thursday. Each test accounts for 100% of my grade in the class. Yet I still find myself posting on CF... :twitcy:

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
The Mechanics class I took (in 2002) was a combined Statics and Mechanics (for 5 credits) class, we met 5 days a week, and I had it with Sturges. I believe spring 2003 was the last year they offered the combined class, at the time I graduated, Statics, Dynamics and Mechanics were all separate 3 credit classes, your couldn't take any of them combined.

So is the Mechanics class 'Strength of Materials' that also has the 1 credit lab?

I believe they were EM 324 & 327 when I took them back in the early 90's.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Finals week was always during my birthday, so it could be worse! This was especially problematic when I turned 21.

At least I was only a Psych major.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Finals week was always during my birthday, so it could be worse! This was especially problematic when I turned 21.

At least I was only a Psych major.

That was my problem in high school (along with the fact that swim team practice started the same week)

In college, it's usually around the time period of papers/reports/last round of exams before finals (case in point I spent my 22nd birthday working on a take home test that took the whole night and the next day), I was working on a paper preceeding my birthday this year... drove to Kansas very early the next day so i coudln't stay out this year

November/December birthdays suck :confused: (You also have to throw in the proximity to Christmas and people's tendancies to lump the two together...)

As for the actual subject of this thread, I swear someone could drop dead in Sturges's class and he'd keep going like nothing happened. :eek: