Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'll say that yesterday was as loud as I've heard in at least a few years. But it used to be that it would get that loud for a majority of the conference games. I feel like we're a ways away from that yet, but we're getting closer. Hilton always gets loudest when ISU is making a run and is getting back to defend after a big shot. We're just not consistent enough offensively to string many runs together.

The game Saturday was as much fun as I've had in Hilton in quite awhile. At least since that TH/THT team. Funny, about 10 minutes in, it was pretty much the opposite.
I noticed that and said something almost immediately yesterday. Amazing audio level for a crowd without two “end zones” of students. Cyclone Alley now has a higher bar.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
The magic is never gone. Does it always show up or happen of course not. But it’s always been there for all the coaches beginning with Orr. But I definitely will say some coaches recognize it for what it is better than some and TJ definitely is one. SP cared about it some but didn’t respect Hilton like he should have .

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
The magic is never gone. Does it always show up or happen of course not. But it’s always been there for all the coaches beginning with Orr. But I definitely will say some coaches recognize it for what it is better than some and TJ definitely is one. SP cared about it some but didn’t respect Hilton like he should have .
TJs the one amping the crowd up half the time!

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
A few thoughts re saturday atmosphere… Baylor went on a nice run following the first timeout of 2nd half and a very enjoyable juicy wiggle. I was miffed for a few minutes by that. Crowd was still hyped so kudos to Baylor.

Scott Drew timeot after ISU hit a 3 to make it something like 9-10 in the first half was a typical good timeout by Drew, he immediately took the lid off the boiling over pot and Baylor stretched their lead immediately following.

Lastly, some of my best life moments are “let’s go state” loud and in unison, 14,500 strong, while the players take the floor for the tip. Seems we’ve lost that, it’s still prompted by cheerleaders, I’d love to see that be a known trademark if you will. Ranked team, sell out, big energy, I wanted more on Saturday

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Just wait until the next year or two,..when we hope to see "Magic" as a tactic of being lucky to survive become "Magic" as a means of full-throttle domination.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Back in the day the crowd seemed to energize the players. Since 2010ish it seems the opposite. Same in Jack Trice. We only get loud on 3rd down.
The Covid year showed a lot about JTS. The OU game was loud when you consider the crowd there and it was that way for a good chunk of the game. May have only had 12k for fans but it was the 12k that are vocal and get into it. Proved there are a lot of quiet fans that attend the games. Also didn’t have the early leavers.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well it's a hell of a lot closer to being back when we don't have a coach that calls a time out whenever we are gaining momentum. That was the most frustrating thing.

Crowd got into it pretty well for the Baylor game I thought
The old Prohm defensive timeout except we always gave up a bucket on the very next play.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I wouldn't complain about a hornet's nest that just gets after teams as they get their asses kicked vs. the crowd needing to will the team to the win.
This is the right line of thinking. When I think of Hilton Magic it’s the crowd getting loud when an underdog Cyclone team is starting to fall behind and wills the team, then goes nuts when it actually happens. The crowd’s energy incites the run.

I don’t know that we’re back to that yet but I hope we can get there. It requires several thousand people to walk into Hilton with a chip on their shoulder. It was easier when we had a personality like Johnny Orr. He was one of a kind for all time so I’m not sure we’ll ever have “that”Hilton Magic again.

Matthew-10

Nov 13, 2006
Hilton Magic is really when we are the underdog and not expected to win. Started under Orr, but really was the belief we could beat anyone at home. Sometimes I feel like it’s more media generated anymore, but when it’s alive, there really aren’t many atmospheres better! When Orr came out of the tunnel, it was on and he made you feel it!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is the right line of thinking. When I think of Hilton Magic it’s the crowd getting loud when an underdog Cyclone team is starting to fall behind and wills the team, then goes nuts when it actually happens. The crowd’s energy incites the run.

I don’t know that we’re back to that yet but I hope we can get there. It requires several thousand people to walk into Hilton with a chip on their shoulder. It was easier when we had a personality like Johnny Orr. He was one of a kind for all time so I’m not sure we’ll ever have “that”Hilton Magic again.

Hopefully there's no reason to get there, i.e. ISU not feeling like they're the underdog.

It's a loud venue to begin with and it will be loud when it's needed.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I feel that the magic is tied to offensive explosions. I'm still wary that this team is going to have a few outright clunkers shooting the ball this season that the magic won't remotely be able to overcome. 1 or 2 of them will occur in Hilton and ISU will get smoked at least once at home.

Did Fred ever get blown out in Ames from season 2 on? Probably not since he averaged only about 1 Hilton loss a season.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The Covid year showed a lot about JTS. The OU game was loud when you consider the crowd there and it was that way for a good chunk of the game. May have only had 12k for fans but it was the 12k that are vocal and get into it. Proved there are a lot of quiet fans that attend the games. Also didn’t have the early leavers.
I was at that OU game and you are very right. Although I think it was north of 30k fans.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron