Isheem Young enters transfer portal

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sex sells, and it doesn't need to be good sex. Any reasonably attractive female with respect to her environment, athletes for example, has marketable sex appeal. Danica Patrick for example. And America generally prefers younger women in terms of sex appeal.

That is false. I don't think most social media followers care, or know, where these women go to school, or if they are even athletes, That is not how social media works. These influencer women don't amass followers because they're getting fact checked. Social media is rather fake.

It may be more true for a football or MBB player, but your argument is weak. You are expanding the box too far. The building I am sitting in only can exist due to the centuries of development funded by tax payers. The building pays taxes and we call it good. Thousands of workers can only earn money due to similar infrastructure. So they pay taxes too. Many industries and private companies would not that exist if not for taxpayers at some point. Professors at UT make more at UT than UT-Dallas due to it being UT and the state funding behind it. Should they make the same as UT-Dallas?

Danica Patrick operated in a sport that had actual fan interest and at a high level. I'm not arguing a basketball player on the US Womens national team has no marketing value without a university brand. I'm arguing the average student athlete doesn't if they're out there 4-5 levels below the major league without "Iowa State University" on their jersey and instead have "Cedar Rapids Thunder presented by Hy-Vee" on their jersey.

Is the WNBA widely popular? Why would 2-3 levels below the WNBA be popular?

Womens college basketball would not have a market without brands that are funded by people actually paying to go to school and often tax payers. College football and mens basketball wouldn't even have it. They'd be AA baseball.

If a hot chick is making money on instagram with sexy photos she's not going to fail or succeed because she's playing minor league basketball in Grand Rapids.

ChamplinCyclone22

Dec 17, 2020
The stipends are also a new addition that NCAA did a few years back to try to head off NIL. And the fact that they are making more now that they’re allowed to is proof that their value is higher than what the NCAA cartel set it at.
You can change your avatar because that’s never happening again with the way college athletics is trending

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU and HFCS

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
If the kid can go make more money at another school I’m all for it. You don’t like it? Isu needs to step it up. Capitalism
The Nfl's a for profit business but they have a salary cap. This makes it fun for most fans.

This, whatever this is, has zero to keep the fans coming back. And it is about the fans to a large degree. If I wanted to watch a product where the players get paid the most, i'd be an nfl fan.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The NCAA didn't "legalize" anything. The NCAA permitted NIL. The states put the laws in place. Read the NIL law at the link above. The law doesn't permit the NCAA to put any guard rails in place...
But i'm saying now that they need to... otherwise it's all about an SEC super league.

What makes college football cool is that it is a national sport. This is bad for the sport, for sure.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The Nfl's a for profit business but they have a salary cap. This makes it fun for most fans.

This, whatever this is, has zero to keep the fans coming back. And it is about the fans to a large degree. If I wanted to watch a product where the players get paid the most, i'd be an nfl fan.
Just because it’s a funny fact the NFL was actually a tax exempt non profit untill 2015

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't think people have thought about what is going to level this all out in under 5 years. Once non-revenue sports(in particular female athletics) start the lawsuits the landscape will change FAST.

Not really sure what they can sue over, if no one wants to pay you too bad.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
guessing your vacays will take you beyond Nebraska, since you'll have more money to spend
“You can be anywhere you want in the world, meet different people and learn more than a hundred things in a matter of minutes… all you have to do is READ!”

Reactions: Blandboy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Have you been to southern California? There might be a few girls in Big 12 sports as cute as the checkout girls at the the grocery store.

Almost none of these female athletes would be marketable because of their play without the tax payer and alumni supported brand on their jersey. Same is true of nearly every male athlete with the exception of a few dozen football and basketball players, maybe a handful of college athletes who got olympic exposure.

I'm not crushing dreams to compete, but top level elite-in-the-world womens pro sports struggle to survive. How on earth would 4th or 5th tier female athletes be scoring endorsement deals without the brand of a university?

It's a symbiotic thing. It's going to change and/or go away.

So how old are these girls at the supermarket check out? Old enough that you won't do jail time?

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Why does it need to be? Would you tell your friend in college not to leave for 20k? 50k?

He may not be getting life changing money, but soon guys like him will be.

He is a top college safety. Top college football programs spend millions each year just hoping to land a guys that could develop into players like him, then even more money trying to develop them. He's easily worth 100k just in cost avoidance. Add in his market value, and it would be cheap for a booster to spend 200k on some bs NIL scheme to land him.
I am fine with NIL but it should be prohibited until you have been at school for 2 years and have an actual brand or likeness to sell. (Or 1 and a junior for transfers). This would shut down the crazyness

• Disagree
Reactions: drmwevr08

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Danica Patrick operated in a sport that had actual fan interest and at a high level. I'm not arguing a basketball player on the US Womens national team has no marketing value without a university brand. I'm arguing the average student athlete doesn't if they're out there 4-5 levels below the major league without "Iowa State University" on their jersey and instead have "Cedar Rapids Thunder presented by Hy-Vee" on their jersey.

If a hot chick is making money on instagram with sexy photos she's not going to fail or succeed because she's playing minor league basketball in Grand Rapids.
It is not different for the successful female college athlete on social media. They are not successful because of the team they play for. Some of the biggest in that space I know of play for teams with little support. But they are attractive and are good at making material.

Think about it. There is a reason why they are non-revenue sports. Not many people care. But now all of a sudden you think people care, and the successful social media stars are because they play for a team no one supports, rather than why most social media influencers are successful? No, on social media, these female athlete influencers are their own brand.

There is also the fact it doesn't matter, even for the MBB and CFB player, in which they likely are getting NIL due to a brand that has some indirect connection to tax payers.

Reactions: CyTwister