ISU/Baylor on ESPNU right now

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Got smashed in the 4th and now getting smoked in the 5th. :(

Edit: crushed 15-6 and drop to 2-5 in conference. No NCAA this year?

Last edited:

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
What is going on with this team.

Serve receive is the key to being successful...and we struggle mightily for longer stretches than a veteran team should.

Is CJL really not comfortable spelling Capezio with Miranda after several unforced errors?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not related to last night's ISU game, but I went to watch Piper Mauck in Roosevelt's first regional game last night. She definitely looked the part. Roosevelt had one talented hitter and then a few other that could make plays occasionally. I can only remember one time all night where she had a non-perfect set, and that still resulted in a kill. She can set any position with ease, including getting the middles involved, which is very important at ISU. She also has a knack for dumping on two, not only with power, but also placing the ball where nobody can get it. Her blocking was good, not elite, but I think some of that can be attributed to her waiting for the other blockers.

Roosevelt handled SE Polk fairly easily, taking sets one and three by 7+ points, and set two by 2 points on a Mauck kill after an overpass by SEP. I thought SE Polk was a pretty good team coming into this match so I was somewhat surprised in the final score. Roosevelt will take on Dowling next Tuesday which should be a very good match.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I had to leave the house and get my workout ~7:30 last night. The fourth set was just starting at that point. At least I got to see the best part of the match. Disappointing the girls couldn't close things out last night. :(

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Serve receive is the key to being successful...and we struggle mightily for longer stretches than a veteran team should.

Yep. Stats tell you all you need to know. Side-out percentage: 4th set - Baylor 86%, ISU 51%; 5th set - Baylor 50%, ISU 20%.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
The first half of the season was fairly unexpected by ISU standards. The substitution patterns were searching, and the play was below what we have come to expect. Why couldn't coach whitle the roster down to players that could compete in the XII? That should have been done before conference play started, IMO. Now we're past that.

The team that beat TCU 3-0 at their place is what I've expected. Letting TCU and Baylor win at Hilton for the first time for this team should be inexcusable. We have more talent. That should say something. I hope that the @TCU win helps them turn a corner. Even with all our service errors we still won in a sweep. I hope the girls know how good they can be, and determine to go out and finish. This is going to be hard to get to an NCAA berth. They can go on a four (4) match win streak into the UT match in Hilton. But, it starts with beating KSU tomorrow. Please, do it ladies. It's on national TV, sort of. Set the tone for the week and the football game.