ISU does not renew Dillinger's contract / implications for other coaches?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It is kind of surprising to me as well. ISU has only had women's soccer as a conference sport for 18 years. Again, if this coach lost her job for performance, is there a reason to expect ISU to be better in women's soccer, or is this a general reflection of the AD's expectation for all sports? Should it be "easy" to be a top-tier Big 12 women's soccer team? It's an honest question.

I wouldn't think so for the same reasons it's not easy to be a top-tier football team. The best players in the state of Iowa don't stay here for women's soccer and getting the talent to Ames is not appealing with the climate, location, program history, etc.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
She was told her contract was not being renewed over the weekend and is being relieved of her head coaching duties effective immediately. Her contract runs through December and she will be paid through then.

It would suck not to be able to coach in your first birth to the big 12s though.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It is kind of surprising to me as well. ISU has only had women's soccer as a conference sport for 18 years. Again, if this coach lost her job for performance, is there a reason to expect ISU to be better in women's soccer, or is this a general reflection of the AD's expectation for all sports?
This was Calli Sanders' call all the way, apparently, and Pollard just signed off on it. Dillinger said she received a text from Sanders on Saturday evening for a meeting the next morning, where she was fired by Sanders. I guess now that we have a decent soccer facility, the athletic department expects a better record in the Big 12. I don't know what expectations should be at a school like ISU. The softball coach better watch out...

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
It is kind of surprising to me as well. ISU has only had women's soccer as a conference sport for 18 years. Again, if this coach lost her job for performance, is there a reason to expect ISU to be better in women's soccer, or is this a general reflection of the AD's expectation for all sports? Should it be "easy" to be a top-tier Big 12 women's soccer team? It's an honest question.

Yes - the Big 12 is an incredibly weak soccer conference. The conference has never (including before the Big 12) had a College Cup (final four) participant, including A&M, Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado.

NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do you reward a coach who in 6 years averages 1 win per season in the conference? The standard in the Big 12 is to at least make the conference tourney, and Dillinger only did it this year. Throw in she was 0-6 against Iowa (they are 13-5-1 this year), often getting blown out, and only beat two ranked teams in six years. You don't dump the kind of money into a non-revenue sport to have it be the habitual whipping boy of the conference like we have in soccer and softball.

As Tornado Man says and I agree, the softball coach needs to be on watch, because they have been terrible for years, and when your in-state rival has had a winning program for years, you can't use the weather as an excuse as to why you can't get talent, which is the same for soccer.

It also wouldn't surprise if a couple of others aren't on the hot seat.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Would not be surprised if her or her husbands attitude/personality had anything to do with this.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Congrats on being the one who had to make the "who cares it's not basketball/football" post. You should be "proud".

In all seriousness, from a business standpoint, is there really an incentive to fire a mediocre coach in a non-revenue sport that almost nobody follows as long as she's not making too much money and representing the university well? I'll just jump to wild conclusions that she was demanding too much money.

I'm probably the worst person to ask, though. I think non-revenue sports are stupid wastes of tax payer money that could be better spent.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
In all seriousness, from a business standpoint, is there really an incentive to fire a mediocre coach in a non-revenue sport that almost nobody follows as long as she's not making too much money and representing the university well? I'll just jump to wild conclusions that she was demanding too much money.

I'm probably the worst person to ask, though. I think non-revenue sports are stupid wastes of tax payer money that could be better spent.

Have to have 6 to be D1

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think non-revenue sports are stupid wastes of tax payer money that could be better spent.

Can we get a sticky on CF for this? No state dollars support any part of the ISU Athletic Department.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
ISU women's soccer peaked when we had that girl that later ended up on Real World.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Past players hated her!!! Lots of local players transfer or quit.

Rumor flying on a soccer message board is after the loss at TCU players went to Callie Sanders and complained about her, and her assistants threw her under the bus too.

2013 Hot Seat or Getting Warm Seat | Page 12 | BigSoccer Forum

One thing I found interesting after all this happened was this past summer my children attended the Drake soccer camp and one of our assistants worked it. Granted, he used to coach at Drake, but why on earth would you ever let an assistant work at another schools camp that you compete against.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
One thing I found interesting after all this happened was this past summer my children attended the Drake soccer camp and one of our assistants worked it. Granted, he used to coach at Drake, but why on earth would you ever let an assistant work at another schools camp that you compete against.

wha?? This is kids flippin' summer soccer camp. Why do you find this so odd?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Is intelligence, or at least being well-informed, too much to ask? If you don't have a clue about something, don't open your mouth and let the whole world know about it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Bring Ben Madsen back to be the head coach. He will eventually leave if he is successful but he is good and a great guy.

ISUav8r

May 7, 2012
Ames
From players, many freshman this year have quit.
Coach said she might quit she couldn't decide if it was worth the time commitment yet.
The players were at practice when they announced that the coach had been fired and all the upper classman cheered.
They were told that she had said inappropriate things, which other posters have eluded to.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
From players, many freshman this year have quit.
Coach said she might quit she couldn't decide if it was worth the time commitment yet.
The players were at practice when they announced that the coach had been fired and all the upper classman cheered.
They were told that she had said inappropriate things, which other posters have eluded to.

People would be amazed at the amount of players who have left this program over the past six years.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If her first name was Phyllis, I would say keep her. Cuz that would be awesome.