ISU Football New Years Resolution

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What changes are you guys wanting to see next year?

I have 5.

1. A competent offensive line.

2. Faster starts to football games. We scored a grand total of 6 points in the first quarter of our 5 losses. No, 6 isn't the average. It's the total. For comparison, we scored 64 points in the first quarter of our 8 wins.

3. Take this offseason to figure out how an offense that works. I'm happy with averaging nearly 27 points a game, but I thought it was pretty disappointing when we had the QB, HB, and WR combo that we had. It almost seemed like we had to have our backs against the wall at times for us to get the ball to Butler or learn that maybe running it right up the gut with David against 8 men isn't a great idea.

4. Basing this simply off his speed, create a formation that allows Re-al and Purdy to be on the field together frequently next year. CMC is the genius at creating this stuff, so I'll leave it up to him. If you have a weapon, use it.

5. I want Assalley to take whatever he did the last month and keep doing it. I'm not sure if it was because we were indoors or what, but he looked great last night.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Better and unbiase TV announcers, those 2 last night were Terrible! ESPN needs to quit having all the bowl games, they have let most of their good announcers go?! All about the almighty buck! Fox could also do some of these bowl games! Refs seemed to be against us most of the game too!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I totally agree with Assalley. From the my perspective, it even seemed like Wazzu was trying to jump over the lineman when was kicking.

We were also really spoiled by Kirby’s punting a few years back. Our punting needs to get a lot more consistent thru the year.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
What changes are you guys wanting to see next year?

2. Faster starts to football games. We scored a grand total of 6 points in the first quarter of our 5 losses. No, 6 isn't the average. It's the total. For comparison, we scored 64 points in the first quarter of our 8 wins.

3. Take this offseason to figure out how an offense that works. I'm happy with averaging nearly 27 points a game, but I thought it was pretty disappointing when we had the QB, HB, and WR combo that we had. It almost seemed like we had to have our backs against the wall at times for us to get the ball to Butler or learn that maybe running it right up the gut with David against 8 men isn't a great idea.
ght.[/QUOTE
Good post. The first quarter stat is shocking...I knew it was bad, but that bad? wow. It is almost the opposite of the McCarney years, if you remember those. We would often have these wonderful first drives of scripted plays...everyone would be like "why can't we play the whole game like this?" To their credit, the coaches he had then scripted some good first drives.....then the wheels would fall off.
With all the 1st down handoffs, again, last night I keep thinking CMC is just using early drives to set up plays later....but to a fault. We do need to throw our best offense out there earlier though....obviously.

That was a catch.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Not a lot I remember when ISU really sucked all the time.

Just continue to build the program with better recruiting classes.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Improve the offensive line. Hoping we start to see some of the young hosses play like Hudson, Ramos, and Downing come along. They need to be road graders to make our system work.

We need to spice up the playcalling a bit. Too often we run 1st/2nd down and hamstring ourselves. Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't.

PAY Heacock. That was a masterful performance. Next guy up (Uwazurike, Harvey going down didn't phase us).

Utilize our TEs more in the passing game. Love our 2 TE sets, but we can really take advantage of them more.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
1. OL improvement. Some of these redshirt freshman and sophomores next year need to be recruiting hits and not misses.

2. Better special teams all around.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
We need better:

Offense
Defense
Special teams

Upgrade these three things by 25% and I would be happy.

Find young competent officials. The game is to fast for the old fat blind guys.

• Funny
Reactions: INTENSE_CY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Triple option offense like Army. O-line can take that narrow stance and fire off the call.

Our RBs should be outstanding and Purdy can run.

Other than that I'll just enjoy this ride

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Consistent punter that gets used very little.

The other stuff....I trust CMC..

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
1) OL development from both player execution and improved coaching.

2) First down play calling is too predictable early in the game. We have a great young talent at QB. Call his number.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
5. I want Assalley to take whatever he did the last month and keep doing it. I'm not sure if it was because we were indoors or what, but he looked great last night.

Great post. Mostly agree with all of it. Wanted to focus on 5, because I also put his prowess last night down to playing indoors.

Didn't someone earlier in the season offer to build a giant root over JTS? If we could have that thing in place before next September, I feel like we'd have a huge advantage in the kicking game.

• Funny
Reactions: Naddafinga

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron