ISU Gambling Megathread

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Lee- sucks, but I trust the staff historically at that position in terms of development

Hanika- was not that impressed last year tbh, and we have a ton of up and coming talent getting rave reviews

Remsburg- was often injured anyway

Dekkers- not a great season last year, supposed leadership issues

Brock- this one hurts the most. We have a lot of depth there, but it's unproven, and he was set to be a star

That's my optimistic analysis of why this won't impact our win total all that much. Add in predicted benefits from new coaching staff and incoming recruits and I am predicting more than 4 wins, potentially up to 7 or 8 if things really click. I'd say 6 wins is what I predict.

This may be over optimistic, but I don't really see a point in being all doom and gloom in August. I'm pumped to see this team gut it out.

The only real loss I see is Brock. Dekkers at best is a good arm and a weak mind. He'll drop down to whatever level is legal and look good against soft competition

Reactions: madguy30

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The only real loss I see is Brock. Dekkers at best is a good arm and a weak mind. He'll drop down to whatever level is legal and look good against soft competition

I actually think Lee is the biggest loss.

Orange is the real deal and a beast, but you really have to have good depth at the NG position. These big guys tire quickly. I think when Orange needs to come out, it will probably be Singleton, but it would have been nice to have a Lee/Orange rotation there…. and leave Singleton at DT.

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
Lee- sucks, but I trust the staff historically at that position in terms of development

Hanika- was not that impressed last year tbh, and we have a ton of up and coming talent getting rave reviews

Brock- this one hurts the most. We have a lot of depth there, but it's unproven, and he was set to be a star

That's my optimistic analysis of why this won't impact our win total all that much. Add in predicted benefits from new coaching staff and incoming recruits and I am predicting more than 4 wins, potentially up to 7 or 8 if things really click. I'd say 6 wins is what I predict.

This may be over optimistic, but I don't really see a point in being all doom and gloom in August. I'm pumped to see this team gut it out.
I thought we had less depth behind Lee, and RB is position that I think will depend more on the OL but defense is what they depend on as a Team

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have to think we'll at least be better in situations where a QB has to scramble or needs to just get an easy yard or two to keep a drive alive. Dekkers was the slowest QB we had since maybe Bandhauer. I have no idea what people were seeing preseason to tell us he was going to be a running threat.

He wasn't bad once he got downhill or to the sideline/first down marker but definitely not one to scramble for a gain or move the pocket.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I thought we had less depth behind Lee, and RB is position that I think will depend more on the OL but defense is what they depend on as a Team

Agree. RB will depend almost entirely on the OL. If the OL is good, our RBs are all good enough to succeed, and if the OL stinks, it isn’t going to matter who is at RB.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree. RB will depend almost entirely on the OL. If the OL is good, our RBs are all good enough to succeed, and if the OL stinks, it isn’t going to matter who is at RB.

And if the OL isn't good QB, TE or WR won't matter much either.

And one DL gone won't matter either since they'll be out there a bunch as it is.

So regardless of who's in or out, it ALL comes back to the OL.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I agree- but that’s not always how large bureaucracies work. Usually protecting the entity and those in power supersedes what is right and wrong. I was just curious what the thinking of the leadership was so far.
Based on CMC's character and team first attitude, culture building, and his love for his players and coaches, I feel strongly that he and his staff have done all they could do, at the time. They are probably doubling down now, and maybe not allowing as much 'freedom', in some way. But the players still ultimately have to make the right choices. You can't always spoon feed them.

As far as the players involved with this, it is their stupidity and foolishness that is on display. You can't stop players who say to themselves, "Everybody is doing it, why shouldn't I? I won't get caught. No one will find out." Now they are paying for it.

This is all on the players. If it somehow comes out otherwise, and the coaching staff is shown to have some culpability, I will be shocked.

I don't think that is going to happen. At all.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020

Mostly agree with you…

I think losing Hanika hurts…he played well last year and I was expecting him to have a Kolar-like year this year. Maybe we’ll have others step up- I’d really love to see a healthy Easton Dean have a breakout season.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
He wasn't bad once he got downhill or to the sideline/first down marker but definitely not one to scramble for a gain or move the pocket.
Dekkers’ decision making was slow. He would hold onto the ball a second or so too long, which in football is a long time. When he committed to scramble, it often was too late. He also had way too many turnovers, especially in the red zone.

I thought there was a chance he could had been replaced as the starting QB at some point this season. I’m excited to see what the young qb’s bring to the table

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anyone seen the current roster lately? Everyone mentioned, is still there except Lee…. Wonder if the game he was playing in has come around…. I think we might miss the depth there big time…. Just a theory at this point, hope this is it! DCI can f- off!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone seen the current roster lately? Everyone mentioned, is still there except Lee…. Wonder if the game he was playing in has come around…. I think we might miss the depth there big time…. Just a theory at this point, hope this is it! DCI can f- off!

Link and is it really recent?

And why does the DCI need to F off? They didn't do anything besides their job.

Last edited:

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Maybe this has been answered but are all scholarships (85) spoken for? I know these guys will retain their scholarships for the time being but how does that work for this fall and beyond? I don’t know how the portal necessarily works.

Reactions: t-noah

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Maybe this has been answered but are all scholarships (85) spoken for? I know these guys will retain their scholarships for the time being but how does that work for this fall and beyond? I don’t know how the portal necessarily works.
I am curious about this also, I am not against them keeping there scholarships until all matters are resolved, but can the AD move them into a general category so they don't count against the 85 limit. Pretty sure 4 are not returning to the team, so are those available?

Reactions: t-noah

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
We have no idea what the laws and procedures around book licensure are in other states. It's not apples to apples.
I'm going to take a wild stab at it here and say in SEC states this type of investigation, regardless of who's tipped off to what, would have a 0.0% chance of happening.

Same goes for Indiana (ND), Ohio (TOSU) et al.

What the DCI uncovered with their big "sting" operation is really nothing: Guys betting small amounts on Draft Kings. No conspiracy, no point shaving, no fixing games.

Basically, a complete waste of time and taxpayer money to screw over a few football players.

And where are the others? The geofence didn't catch any other non-athlete students? That's really hard to believe.

The DCI should be embarrassed by this. But I guess it's probably why they waited so long to release their "bombshell" findings. Because they're really insignificant IMO.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have to think we'll at least be better in situations where a QB has to scramble or needs to just get an easy yard or two to keep a drive alive. Dekkers was the slowest QB we had since maybe Bandhauer. I have no idea what people were seeing preseason to tell us he was going to be a running threat.
I'm not sure he was slow as much as he lacked instincts, vision, lateral quickness, and elusiveness lol. Straight ahead, he's fine, but that's not what football requires for a QB.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Mostly agree with you…

I think losing Hanika hurts…he played well last year and I was expecting him to have a Kolar-like year this year. Maybe we’ll have others step up- I’d really love to see a healthy Easton Dean have a breakout season.
Hanika showed some flashes, but Kolar was one of the best TEs in the country for 2 years. He wasn't going to approach that production.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not sure he was slow as much as he lacked instincts, vision, lateral quickness, and elusiveness lol. Straight ahead, he's fine, but that's not what football requires for a QB.

Whatever it was, game speed was like he was stuck in mud and it felt like we were constantly moving backwards from it.