ISU Gambling Megathread

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm going to take a wild stab at it here and say in SEC states this type of investigation, regardless of who's tipped off to what, would have a 0.0% chance of happening.

Same goes for Indiana (ND), Ohio (TOSU) et al.

What the DCI uncovered with their big "sting" operation is really nothing: Guys betting small amounts on Draft Kings. No conspiracy, no point shaving, no fixing games.

Basically, a complete waste of time and taxpayer money to screw over a few football players.

And where are the others? The geofence didn't catch any other non-athlete students? That's really hard to believe.

The DCI should be embarrassed by this. But I guess it's probably why they waited so long to release their "bombshell" findings. Because they're really insignificant IMO.
I'm not interested in living in a society where crimes aren't investigated when reported to the DCI but ymmv...

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm going to take a wild stab at it here and say in SEC states this type of investigation, regardless of who's tipped off to what, would have a 0.0% chance of happening.

What the DCI uncovered with their big "sting" operation is really nothing: Guys betting small amounts on Draft Kings. No conspiracy, no point shaving, no fixing games.

Basically, a complete waste of time and taxpayer money to screw over a few football players.

And where are the others? The geofence didn't catch any other non-athlete students? That's really hard to believe.

The DCI should be embarrassed by this. But I guess it's probably why they waited so long to release their "bombshell" findings. Because they're really insignificant IMO.
I can appreciate the sentiment. For us though, it is no 'what ifs'. Our guys were caught. What they did was against the rules.

I'm sorry it happened to them. However, they should have known better, and we as a fan base, will have a few less players to route for.

I'm kind of ready to just move on. There won't be any 'equal' investigations and punishments in other states.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Why should the DCI be embarrassed for doing what the DCI is supposed to do?

Are you advocating for allowing gambling? NFL players get held to account when they do it.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'm not interested in living in a society where crimes aren't investigated when reported to the DCI but ymmv...
There's a difference between prosecutorial discretion and prosecutorial abdication.

Perhaps some of the deeply offended might take it up with the people who passed the criminal and sports gambling statutes.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Story on online gambling

Some takeaways
1. Suicide rise tied to online sports gambling.
2. Draft kings fined for targeting underage.
3. Class action lawsuits expected by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iluvteak

CyrenAlert

Jul 20, 2023
The ones who should he embarrassed are the supposed team leaders who allegedly couldn't keep from violating a very clear and well articulated rule. There is no ambiguity.

And, as been pointed out up thread, the DCI did not hold a press conference or something. They reported to whom they were supposed to report. The prosecutors in Johnson and Story County made the criminal charging decisions here.

Zero indication has been given that this was a "sting" operation--what is being reported and what is present in the public court records is quite to the contrary. If you don't know what the words you use mean, you might consider looking them up.

I'm sure the timing had nothing to do with what they thought public opinion would be regarding the "significance" of what the investigation found.

Where are the others? Are you suggesting that where the investigation determined that non athletes or athletes at other schools had allegedly committed Tampering With Records that said individuals weren't charged? Link?

The DCI didn't screw over a few football players. The only ones who screwed over the few football players were allegedly the football players themselves.

Your concerns about investigation of similar crimes in SEC states may be valid. Of course, the applicable laws are different, which could make it less likely that such information would be available.

Having said all of that, tldr I know, I'm not suggesting a person can't disagree with the charging decisions or anything else.

How you can let pass players betting on their own teams I cannot fathom, but so it goes.

I agree with pretty much everything you stated...and I think it is fortunate that this was not something bigger or involving much higher dollar amounts that would cause the integrity of the games to be questioned. Hopefully we will be able to look back on this and find that these cases provided evidence and warning to future student-athletes of what can happen when they think no one is watching.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The ones who should he embarrassed are the supposed team leaders who allegedly couldn't keep from violating a very clear and well articulated rule. There is no ambiguity.

And, as been pointed out up thread, the DCI did not hold a press conference or something. They reported to whom they were supposed to report. The prosecutors in Johnson and Story County made the criminal charging decisions here.

Zero indication has been given that this was a "sting" operation--what is being reported and what is present in the public court records is quite to the contrary. If you don't know what the words you use mean, you might consider looking them up.

I'm sure the timing had nothing to do with what they thought public opinion would be regarding the "significance" of what the investigation found.

Where are the others? Are you suggesting that where the investigation determined that non athletes or athletes at other schools had allegedly committed Tampering With Records that said individuals weren't charged? Link?

The DCI didn't screw over a few football players. The only ones who screwed over the few football players were allegedly the football players themselves.

Your concerns about investigation of similar crimes in SEC states may be valid. Of course, the applicable laws are different, which could make it less likely that such information would be available.

Having said all of that, tldr I know, I'm not suggesting a person can't disagree with the charging decisions or anything else.

How you can let pass players betting on their own teams I cannot fathom, but so it goes.
Your argument sounds better than mine!

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Get a grip. We're not talking about a murder here, JFC.

All kinds of things don't rise to the level of sting operation because there are many more serious crimes to focus on. At least one would think so.

I'm still waiting for the jaywalking bombshell in Campustown to drop. Hopefully the DCI is on that one. :D

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Story on online gambling

Some takeaways
1. Suicide rise tied to online sports gambling.
2. Draft kings fined for targeting underage.
3. Class action lawsuits expected by the end of the year.

Saw that story this morning. Even though I didn't anticipate doing much gambling myself, I was all for legalized gambling a few years ago; might as well regulate and tax the activity that was already taking place underground anyway, I figured.

But what I didn't anticipate was how thoroughly gambling would permeate the sports culture in the US. It's just everywhere - endless advertising, mentioned in game broadcasts, all over social media, and on and on. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and the bill for our lack of restraint is coming due.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and Kinch

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Saw that story this morning. Even though I didn't anticipate doing much gambling myself, I was all for legalized gambling a few years ago; might as well regulate and tax the activity that was already taking place underground anyway, I figured.

But what I didn't anticipate was how thoroughly gambling would permeate the sports culture in the US. It's just everywhere - endless advertising, mentioned in game broadcasts, all over social media, and on and on. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and the bill for our lack of restraint is coming due.
I read an article many years ago that claimed that the reason pro baseball gained gained popularity in the 1900s was partly due to the large number of ways one could bet the game. Sports and gambling seems to have been linked from early on.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

All kinds of things don't rise to the level of sting operation because there are many more serious crimes to focus on. At least one would think so.

I'm still waiting for the jaywalking bombshell in Campustown to drop. Hopefully the DCI is on that one. :D
So when the DCI was made aware of an Iowa baseball player gambling, they should have ignored? Unless the Iowa DCI is staffed with first rate fortune tellers, they had no idea what they were going to find. A few small bets or players throwing games. They found something in between, many of the players betting on THEIR OWN games. That has never been OK in US team sports.

Remember, this was happening about the same time as the Alabama baseball coach getting busted for gambling. So no way the DCI ignores or does a halfway investigation.

Reactions: NWICY

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I’m still shocked at the dollar amounts bet. Betting on your own games is an automatic disqualifier but these guys were betting $6-$8 per bet on average. No one is throwing a game for $8. Still very, very stupid and they deserve the consequences but these bet amounts are laughably low.
What if I make 1,000 $5 bets and one $5,000 bet? My average is $10 but one of those bets does have a non-trivial amount of money for most people. I've never done online betting so I'm not sure if they will even take a bet that is so far outside your normal betting, but if they did I could see it drawing some attention to investigate if something weird is going on. That probably isn't what happened here and I don't believe any results were compromised in any of this, but the fact that people are talking about it is exactly why there are such draconian rules for athletes.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

IT WASN'T A ******* STING OPERATION!

The book's software detected suspicious activity and the book reported it to the DCI because their LICENSE SAYS THEY HAVE TO. The DCI referred the info to the county attorneys to decide on charges which they elected to pursue because THESE PEOPLE BROKE THE LAW.

I would imagine the books are reporting things to the DCI that transpire the exact same way all the time but we just don't hear about them because the people being charged aren't athletes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron