ISU picked to finish 2nd in Preseason Big 12 VB Poll

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Texas Tabbed To Win 2011 Volleyball Title - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Texas Tabbed To Win 2011 Volleyball Title
Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

The Texas Longhorns have earned the top spot in the 2011 Big 12 Preseason Volleyball Poll, as selected by the league's head coaches. This marks the third time UT has been picked as the preseason favorite (2008, 2009).

Texas, who advanced to its third-straight NCAA semifinals appearance in 2010, garnered seven of the nine first-place votes, tallying 63 points overall. Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own team.

Iowa State, who received two first-place votes, along with Oklahoma tied for second with 53 points each. Texas A&M and Missouri placed fourth and fifth, respectively, while Baylor sits in sixth just two points behind the Tigers. Kansas, Kansas State and Texas Tech round out the final three spots.

In 2010, the 'Horns compiled a 27-6 overall record along with an 18-2 mark in Big 12 play, finishing fourth in the final AVCA poll. Appearing in their seventh overall NCAA tournament, UT defeated 16th seeded Purdue in the Austin Regional before falling to national champion Penn State in the semifinals. The Longhorns ranked as high as No. 2 last season and were never ranked lower than 13th. Texas returns nine letterwinners from the 2010 squad, including All-American and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Rachael Adams, plus seniors Michelle Kocher, Amber Roberson and Sydney Yogi. Jerritt Elliott, the 2010 Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year, returns for his 11th season. UT has claimed four Big 12 titles (1997, 2007, 2008, 2009) in the league's 16-year tenure.

Big 12 teams open the season the weekend of Aug. 26, while conference action is slated to begin on Sept. 21.

2011 Big 12 Volleyball Preseason Poll
1. Texas (7) - 63 pts
2. Iowa State (2) - 53
2. Oklahoma - 53
4. Texas A&M - 43
5. Missouri - 32
6. Baylor - 30
7. Kansas - 22
8. Kansas State - 20
9. Texas Tech - 8

Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year
MB - Rachael Adams, Texas (SR)

Preseason Big 12 Newcomer of the Year
OH - Hannah Willms, Iowa State (r-FR)

Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year
MB/OH - Khat Bell, Texas (FR)

Preseason All-Big 12 Team
MB - Torri Campbell, Baylor (JR)
S - Alison Landwehr, Iowa State (JR)
MB - Jamie Straube, Iowa State (JR)
MB - Kaitlynn Pelger, Kansas State (SO)
MB/OH - Brittney Brimmage, Missouri (SR)
S - Molly Kreklow, Missouri (SO)
S - Brianne Barker, Oklahoma (SR)
RS/OH - Suzy Boulavsky, Oklahoma (SO)
MB - Sallie McLaurin, Oklahoma (SO)
MB - Rachael Adams, Texas (SR)
OH - Amber Roberson, Texas (SR)
OH - Kelsey Black, Texas A&M (SR)
S - Allie Sawatzky, Texas A&M (SO)
OH - Amanda Dowdy, Texas Tech (SR)

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I think we will be good enough to finish 2nd and maybe beat texas at least once. I'm curious as to who will start. Who do you guys think will be in the starting line up?

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Destinee Hooker is finally gone from Texas......seemed like she was there for a decade. With her gone, I think ISU really can challenge for the Big 12 title.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Destinee Hooker is finally gone from Texas......seemed like she was there for a decade. With her gone, I think ISU really can challenge for the Big 12 title.

Uhhh, she was gone from Texas last year.

And Landwehr 1st team all Big 12? Did I miss something last year? She seemed like one of the weak links and was extremely inconsistent setting.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Uhhh, she was gone from Texas last year.

And Landwehr 1st team all Big 12? Did I miss something last year? She seemed like one of the weak links and was extremely inconsistent setting.

Four setters from a 10-team league on the first team. I realize many are using the 6-2 system now, but that's a lot.

I think we can finish 2nd, and with an exceptional year even challenge Texas. That would take Wilms emerging as a star, Hockaday getting back to full form, Landwehr truly taking charge, and Hahn fitting into Maas' back row kneepads sneakers.

I worry most about MU and OU. Maybe partly because I watched a lot of their players in high school, and I think MU's Molly Kreklow will evolve into one of the nation's best setters. Also, watch out for freshman Jade Hayes with MU. She has the potential to step in right away and be effective on both the back and front rows.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
According to Coach Johnson, Hahn will be libero and has made significant progress over the spring.

Did you hear what she said about Hannah Willms. Christy said she improved her whole game, but it sounded like she wasn't going to play that much. Is that what it sounded like to you?

BirdDog

May 23, 2011
Willms will eventually be THE OH, maybe not at the beginning of the season - is more athletic than Hockaday. Somewhat worried about a back-up setter if something happens to Landwehr. Will the freshman DS from Ankeny also do some setting?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Did you hear what she said about Hannah Willms. Christy said she improved her whole game, but it sounded like she wasn't going to play that much. Is that what it sounded like to you?

It sounded like she might not play much as she is still "learning" the game, but she also said she has an incredible upside.

My guess is her position might very depending on match ups.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Willms will eventually be THE OH, maybe not at the beginning of the season - is more athletic than Hockaday. Somewhat worried about a back-up setter if something happens to Landwehr. Will the freshman DS from Ankeny also do some setting?

On the facebook photos of the first practice, Taylor Goetz from Ankeny was setting with Landwehr. My guess is Taylor wont set if she doesn't have to, kinda like Pratt from last year. Christy will probably wait for next year for more setting options, because we have two good setters coming in.

Will

Aug 17, 2011

From the media interview with Johnson it sounds like Willms has a lot of work to do in all categories. To be an OH, defense is very important. I was impressed with her offense in the Spring but defense was lacking. Sometimes on the court she looked confused and even ran into her own teammates. Maybe that is what Johnson was talking about when she said it takes more than a great athlete to be a great volleyball player. If we don't see Willms get too much court time this year we certainly will next year.

oldvbguy

Aug 18, 2011
Don't see Jenson getting a lot of love here. She stepped in for Hock last year and had a great season. Led team in aces, second in kills, played great defense. Made a nice 1-2 punch with Henson. Her all-around game should keep her in the starting lineup this season.

Will

Aug 17, 2011
Don't see Jenson getting a lot of love here. She stepped in for Hock last year and had a great season. Led team in aces, second in kills, played great defense. Made a nice 1-2 punch with Henson. Her all-around game should keep her in the starting lineup this season.

Jenson is definitely a contender for a starting spot but I think we are all looking for a Henson. I don't see a Henson in the mix this year unless Hockaday can step it up. Willms apparently needs more time.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Jenson is definitely a contender for a starting spot but I think we are all looking for a Henson. I don't see a Henson in the mix this year unless Hockaday can step it up. Willms apparently needs more time.

I think OH will be more by committee this year, and that's probably a good thing for ISU. Relying on Vic last year so much was a weakness and defenses keyed on her. She still did the job, but she would have been more effective if there was offensive balance. Jenson is really good, but I am hopeful Hockaday returns to form. Sounds like coach thinks she can get there, but isn't quite there yet. Also sounds like Hurt and Matlock will be contributing as well.

More than anything, I think Hockaday's loss last year had more effect on team chemistry as she was a leader on the court. I think her returning to the floor will be a boost for the youngsters.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
If not mistaken this has to be the deepest team ever. This will allow everyone to be fresh when someone is having an off night we have alternatives.

Last edited: