ISU/Stanford Postgame Thread

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Just not quite enough umph in us to get over the hump tonight unfortunately, but what a way to fight till the end!

Brilliant gameplan by Bill I think here. I haven't read the game thread, so I don't know what all's been said, but 40-odd points or not, this game comes down to rebounding, and a few missed 3's. If we grab even 10 more rebounds, that's 10 shots they don't take, and we do. If that keeps them from scoring on half of those, and we score on half of those instead, that's a 20 point swing. Now I realize it doesn't work out exactly like that, but you get the idea.

Someone was gonna get appel's points somehow - and holding them to just 10 points less could have given us a shot.

Some of those rebounds combined with a little bit better shooting from the arc, and this could have been monumental.

Absolutely LOVED following and travelling to watch the women's team this year!!!! What a great season for our girls!

Been nice posting with all of you regular WBB supporters as well! Been a great time :yes:

Reactions: spk123

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
We ran out of legs...when the legs get tired the shooting goes. Great job by the girls all the way through the tourney. Go Cyclones!

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
The rebounds and the post play - just no way to contain and overcome that tonight. Great run for the Cyclones!
Yeah I wish it went the other way, but I can't hang my head right now.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
As someone in the game thread said...last time we played them we keyed on Appel. She had 6 points and we lost by 39.

We tried the opposite tonight and tried to make her beat us and she did.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Congrats on an awesome season though!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great year. We did our best and that's all you can ask for.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We finally played Appel tougher in the second half. That took awhile to adjust.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Bill chose NOT to double team their big girl. It would of been nice if Weiben would of used one of her fouls to go for a block and bust her between the eyes. She would have had to shoot thru tear filled eyes all night.

Also don't under stand why in the second half we were trying to work the ball in instead of pick their *** to death for the three. They would of fallen sooner or later.

How about Running them in the ground??? The big girl could hardly get up and down the court, lets "take her wind away." The Paris girl would beat Appel up bad. She would be physical enough.

We need some bangers... for next year. Very proud of Bills team however. He does MORE with LESS as opossed to Connecticut who does more with more.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I don't understand how we could be content with letting Appel do that. I know she is tough but she only averaged 16 points a game. It isn't as if she was thay unstoppable. There had to be a better gameplan than letting her catch the ball uncontested 3 feet from the basket and going one on one.

The better team won. ISU had a great season and should be proud.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Absolutely a great season...this group of Seniors leaves a great legacy. And this can only help BF draw more and more great players.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Appel is a beast. Absolutely unstoppable. We need to get someone that big, and im no just talking height.

If you have ever seen Anna Prins, we have nothing to worry about. She is unlike any post we have ever had. She makes Angie Welle look small.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Great game plan by BF! Even though Appel scored 46, that wasn't really what killed us.

It was the lack of rebounding and the poor 3 point shooting. If we would have shot 40 to 45 on threes, we would have been right in that game. Most knew that is what it would take for us to win. I tihnk BF saw this and drew up a plan. Unfortunately Appel was red hot and we were ice cold. Either way good game plan and I am proud of the girls. Go Clones!

Reactions: MidwestZest

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
How about Running them in the ground??? The big girl could hardly get up and down the court, lets "take her wind away." The Paris girl would beat Appel up bad. She would be physical enough.
disagree with this a little bit. as the broadcasters pointed out, she was the first standford girl down the court on lots of possessions. I think she was very quick, and very fit. Def more fit that courtney paris, who does have troubles getting down the court sometimes

I don't understand how we could be content with letting Appel do that. I know she is tough but she only averaged 16 points a game. It isn't as if she was thay unstoppable. There had to be a better gameplan than letting her catch the ball uncontested 3 feet from the basket and going one on one.

The better team won. ISU had a great season and should be proud.
Doesn't really matter though if she has 46, or if three players have 15 15 and 16. Their tall lengthy guards killed us last time. At least we knew where the ball was going. We just needed better rebounding.

Dead on about the better team winning though. I hope they give UCONN a run for their money!!!!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Also don't under stand why in the second half we were trying to work the ball in instead of pick their a$$ to death for the three. They would of fallen sooner or later.

Did you watch the game? We didn't have room to shoot many open threes, and thus had to put the ball on the floor or pass inside. This just in: Stanford ain't Michigan State or Ball State...

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I also think Bill had a great gameplan in place. It's pretty much like the one Bill Self used against us when Brackins went off for 42. The only difference is that we were unable to execute on the offensive end. And like mentioned previously, rebounding. We just couldn't get our hands secured on the ball. Bill is a great coach, he brought this team farther than I thought they would go in this tournament.

Nicky isn't a bad post player, but in order for us to compete with the big guns of women's basketball, we will need a stronger post player to compliment our ability to shoot from the outside.

Congrats to the team for fighting the way they did!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Great season, no complaints. It was going to be a tough game and it was. I'll take a shot at the final four every year.

It's a lot different than the disappointment over the men's team in 2000 because that team could have and should have won the national title, if not for, well...ahem, getting robbed.

This team did its best and I really appreciate the effort.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Great season by the girls. No one should forget that.

Better team won tonight. If our offense had been a little more on the spot (we even missed a lot of simple 2s on those backdoor cuts) and snagged a few more rebounds we would have had a chance.