ISU Urban Exploring Thread Redux

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Should have gave him the idea to put up a sign with a phone number for tours. He could probably make $10 a person to show them around.

Seriously. He could make some good money renting the place for parties!

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
stopping by to revisit one of my favorite CF threads of all time. shame that the OG was closed and there's been little activity in the last 5 plus years.

Reactions: wxman1

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
stopping by to revisit one of my favorite CF threads of all time. shame that the OG was closed and there's been little activity in the last 5 plus years.
I just stumbled across this thread and read the original from beginning to end. I was a student during the bulk of the original thread and my friend group did some exploring during that time. I hadn't heard of The Shrine before and I wish I had because we would have been all about checking it out. Does anyone know if it is still standing? The old thread is full of broken links and 404 errors being 10-15+ years old and all. I'm pretty sure I've found it on Google Maps, but there isn't street view down that road. I'll have to drive through the next time I'm in the area.

I lived in Wallace hall when it was single occupancy and Wilson was mostly empty. The commons between the buildings was used for mail, computer lab, and a C-store, but the upstairs dining area was locked and used for storage. We gained access to the dining portion one night and checked it out. Inside was mostly dining equipment, tons of table cloths and probably a thousand of those plastic trays. Towards the loading dock there was a room with lockers and on the floor between the lockers was blatantly an area where someone would sleep. At time time we thought maybe a janitor would sneak in and take a nap during the day. Looking back now, I bet someone was living in there. I also wonder they were in the building and hid when they heard us coming.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
I was able to track down some aerial photos from 1995. Definitely an interesting structure.

1000x.jpg
1000x.jpg

Reactions: ISUAgronomist