ISU vs. Iowa Post game thread

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the game was a great moral victory and an amazing team effort. The first half was far sloppier than the second half and it started off as one of the ugliest games I've ever seen but the team started to recognize and analyze a little more than I think they have all year and pulled out a good W. It'll be interesting to see how a long break works into the remainder growth they're capable of. Hopefully this is a game they can analyze and build on.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really liked how ISU did come out a couple time and pressed Iowa. The pressure that ISU had when WM was coaching really changed a few games. Too bad they couldn't do both, press and run, plus be able to play under control when they had a lead. The OU game that they lost a 10 point lead in something like a minute and a half left was astronomically horrible.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Both teams are pretty bad. Both teams are very even. ISU had a great win today, and I personally hope they can some how get some momentum and confidence and use it in Big 12 play. I was impressed with how the Clones fed off the crowd today - they got momentum in the game it was just not possible for Iowa to really get into a rhythm after that.

Great win for ISU, it was a hard fought game on both sides! I think you play this game 10 times, and each team wins 5. A lot of young players, a lot of young talent, and it won't be long before the Iowa-ISU rivalry becomes big enough to actually mean something again.

"Both teams are pretty bad"? I hate when we play bad teams in our "Super Bowls". It's happened five times this year alone. Should we not schedule Iowa anymore?

:no:Just kidding! :biggrin:It's so much fun.:yes:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Yes, there were a bunch of recruits in for the game. They sat very close to me behind cyclone alley on the west side. They were there with Chizik and several of our coaches. The recruits appeared to be very impressed and a great time, except for one guy who wore a burnt orange jump suit, dark sunglasses, and had a Stevie Hicks hair cut - he just slept through most of the game, if that's possible. He looked like a Univ of Iowa gansta recruit.

I saw that guy outside before the game. He was staring up into the sky looking at the snow. My guess is that he probably hadn't seen it before, because he certainly was fascinated with it.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We have two easy W's or you would think before the Las Vegas tourney. If we can build some momentum before we play Purdue that would be great for this team. But if we lose one of them then it gonna be bad news.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i didnt read ever single post.. but im going to give credit to som1 that has not gotten any lately.. and honestly he hasnt desevred it.. but im going to give credit to Haluska.. the guy played pretty good Defense today.. now the ref screwed him on a couple of calls.. but overal he looked alot better.. he does need to get that shot to fall.. but today it was his D that stepped up..

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
i didnt read ever single post.. but im going to give credit to som1 that has not gotten any lately.. and honestly he hasnt desevred it.. but im going to give credit to Haluska.. the guy played pretty good Defense today.. now the ref screwed him on a couple of calls.. but overal he looked alot better.. he does need to get that shot to fall.. but today it was his D that stepped up..

Totally agree. He's always hustling, and he does really work hard on the defensive side of the court. Of our guards, I think he's the best at moving without the ball, and like Wesley, he's pretty smooth with the pullup jumper off the dribble. He did hit a shot today, and there wers ome times where he was really pumped up. Good to see that kind of intensity.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I saw that guy outside before the game. He was staring up into the sky looking at the snow. My guess is that he probably hadn't seen it before, because he certainly was fascinated with it.

:biglaugh:

Good stuff. But when you think of it, very true. They are just kids after all and probably have not experienced too much.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
One of the greatest things I saw today was Wesley Johnson moving around much better since he came off his injury. This 9 day lay-off should do wonders for him.

The 2nd greatest thing was the look of sqHawkeye fans as they showed highlights of the beat down we put on them back in Sept. It was a look of pure humiliation and I loved it. Did anyone else notice this? It was hilarious. My cousin (Hawk fan) said it was like twisting the knife you've already stabbed us with very slowly.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I heard that Kelly chant on the radio...any reason why? Did he say something before the game or during the game that got the students going? Just curious.

Why not? :wink:

I'm not sure anyone really knows why we were doing that... I know some people were yelling at him about wearing a t-shirt insted of a tank-top... a few minutes later he was putting the ball in and a handful of (different) people started chanting his name... others slowly picked it up and pretty soon we had our new target.

Like I said it was kinda weird not having a Piere Pierce or a Adam Huluska... so we just had to make due this year :yes:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
The 2nd greatest thing was the look of sqHawkeye fans as they showed highlights of the beat down we put on them back in Sept. It was a look of pure humiliation and I loved it. Did anyone else notice this? It was hilarious. My cousin (Hawk fan) said it was like twisting the knife you've already stabbed us with very slowly.

They did the same thing in Carver last year.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This is exactly how we can enjoy our season. We realistically know that we wont win many games come Jan, but right now we can just take each victory and enjoy it.

No need to worry about what went wrong.. it really isnt going to matter much anyway this season. At the same time we can really enjoy pulling off a couple upsets:)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You were impressed with Peterson but not with Haluska? Get a clue. Haluska is the second best defender on the team right now, he is playing pretty good ball over these past couple games.

Haluska picked up at least a few fouls today on reach ins because he can't keep his guy in front of him. I have no idea why people keep saying he's a good defender.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Haluska picked up at least a few fouls today on reach ins because he can't keep his guy in front of him. I have no idea why people keep saying he's a good defender.

Haluska got called for a couple fouls today at the end of the game because of the disparity in fouls and free throws.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great win for ISU, it was a hard fought game on both sides! I think you play this game 10 times, and each team wins 5.

What? ISU lead for 30 minutes of this game and the second half never got closer than the four point difference at the 20:00 mark. ISU lead by around 10 for the entire second half. Brackins missed a lot of bunnies and Thompson missed some uncontested layups. ISU honestly should have won by more.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Wow...I missed that quote earlier from SH. For a guy that seems to have the betting thing down (top credit guy on CF), you certainly lack some sports knowledge - or - just let the homer in you come out to play all too often.

I don't think Iowa would score much over 50 in any 10 games against our team - as long as we played defense like that each time. If you had Freeman, you might sniff 60.

Keep in mind, we still don't have a 100% healthy Wesley and Clark. And both of them had pretty good performances.

ISU is a far better team than they looked Wednesday night against Drake. Tonight, I saw more of what this team is. Still going to struggle on offense but hustle like hell and play tough, gritty defense.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Freeman played out of his mind. He has consistently SUCKED his entire career at Iowa. Yes, he did rattle in some threes in their last game, but lets not get crazy over him.

Well maybe he does help when you are looking for that hand checking, out of control ball handler, throw it out of bounds, fast break brick three launching type.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Agreed. It isnt effort.... just lack of athletic ability.