ISU vs Iowa

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Time to move on from Bucknell and on to Iowa. Last year, ISU took Iowa to the brink in Iowa City. This year, Iowa will be looking to get some revenge in Ames. There should be several competitive matchups, but ISU would need almost every thing to fall their way to make this a close dual. Here are my thoughts.

125 - Lee is just on another planet than Mackall. However, he still seems to not be able to wrestle a hard 7 minutes. I think this will be very similar to last year. Lee jumps out to a big early lead in the first. Very important that Mackall survives the 1st period onslaught without giving up the pin or tech. Mackall picks up a TD and some riding in the 3rd but Lee gets the major. 4-0 Iowa.

133 - not sure if will be Teasdale or Glynn, but I’m taking either by decision over Small. If it was Desanto I’d pick a tech. 7-0 Iowa

141 - I think that Parker is a very tough matchup for Desanto. He won’t tire and can wrestle the whole 7, and is disciplined enough to stay away from the dump/firemans. Also, he is a tough rider and Desanto is undersized. I take Parker by a 1 point win. 7-3 Iowa.

149 - early td or 2 for Lugo, but Degen is going to push the pace. Degen forces some scrambles and gets some riding time in the third. Degen wins a decision by a score of 10-7. 7-6 Iowa

157 - marquee match of the night. Carr is the Uber talent. Junior world champ and bluest of the blue chip recruit. Young is a savy veteran who is a grinder. He is also a returning AA and ranked #2. Man, if Carr wins this it will be hard to keep the expectations in check. I have Young winning a low scoring match. 1 td and some riding time. 4-2. Iowa leads 10-6.

165 - Marinelli is every bit of his nickname, The Bull. Think he gets a fall here 16-6 Iowa.

174 - Kemerer is a hammer who likes to attack. Just too good for Coleman in every position. Kemerer gets the major close to a tech. 20-6 Iowa

184 - no clue what Iowa is doing at this weight. Nelson Brands (who wrestled Carr this summer at 163) just wrestled for Iowa in the dual. He is undersized, but very tough. Whether it’s Brands or Cash Wilke, I like Colbray by a close decision. 20-9 Iowa.

197 - Warner is a returning AA. I haven’t seen a ton from Shapiro yet, but know he’s not at this level. The only question will be how close can he keep it. Warner by major. 24-9 for Iowa.

285 - Cassiopi is an absolute stud who loves to put people on their back. He pinned Gremmel last year. I think this year Gremmel stays out of the exchanges in order to stay off his back. Cassiopi gets the decision. Final score 27-9 Iowa.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sounds about right. I could see Carr winning but do think Colbray, Parker and Degen win. It won't be close unfortunately

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

cyucat7

Sep 3, 2015
Time to move on from Bucknell and on to Iowa. Last year, ISU took Iowa to the brink in Iowa City. This year, Iowa will be looking to get some revenge in Ames. There should be several competitive matchups, but ISU would need almost every thing to fall their way to make this a close dual. Here are my thoughts.

125 - Lee is just on another planet than Mackall. However, he still seems to not be able to wrestle a hard 7 minutes. I think this will be very similar to last year. Lee jumps out to a big early lead in the first. Very important that Mackall survives the 1st period onslaught without giving up the pin or tech. Mackall picks up a TD and some riding in the 3rd but Lee gets the major. 4-0 Iowa.

133 - not sure if will be Teasdale or Glynn, but I’m taking either by decision over Small. If it was Desanto I’d pick a tech. 7-0 Iowa

141 - I think that Parker is a very tough matchup for Desanto. He won’t tire and can wrestle the hole 7, and is disciplined enough to stay away from the dump/firemans. Also, he is a tough rider and Desanto is undersized. I take Parker by a 1 point win. 7-3 Iowa.

149 - early td or 2 for Lugo, but Degen is going to push the pace. Degen forces some scrambles and gets some riding time in the third. Defend wins a decision by a score of 10-7. 7-6 Iowa

157 - marquee match of the night. Carr is the Uber talent. Junior world champ and bluest of the blue chip recruit. Young is a savy veteran who is a grinder. He is also a returning AA and ranked #2. Man, if Carr wins this it will be hard to keep the expectations in check. I have Young winning a low scoring match. 1 td and some riding time. 4-2. Iowa leads 10-6.

165 - Marinelli is every bit of his nickname, The Bull. Think he gets a fall here 16-6 Iowa.

174 - Kemerer is a hammer who likes to attack. Just too good for Coleman in every position. Kemerer gets the major close to a tech. 20-6 Iowa

184 - no clue what Iowa is doing at this weight. Nelson Brands (who wrestled Carr this summer at 163) just wrestled for Iowa in the dual. He is undersized, but very tough. Whether it’s Brands or Cash Wilke, I like Colbray by a close decision. 20-9 Iowa.

197 - Warner is a returning AA. I haven’t seen a ton from Shapiro yet, but know he’s not at this level. The only question will be how close can he keep it. Warner buy major. 24-9 for Iowa.

285 - Cassiopi is an absolute stud who loves to put people on their back. He pinned Gremmel last year. I think this year Gremmel stays out of the exchanges in order to stay off his back. Cassiopi gets the decision. Final score 27-9 Iowa.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
125: Lee MD. As mentioned by OP, he will jump out to a big lead and then the rest of the match will be about even.
133: Glynn/Teasdale dec. I had some expectation for Small's abilities to beat Glynn, but after yesterday's dual, those expectations fell off.
141: DeSanto dec. Parker is tough. Has an engine. But, even under-sized, I think Desanto will just be too much. I hope I am wrong and Parker can stay out of the fireman's and grind his way to a W.
149: Degen dec. I think Degen will be Lugo's achilles heel again this year. His length and style match up perfectly with Lugo's weaknesses. Will look much like their matches last year.
157: Carr dec. I mean, why not? Young is honestly 1 of my favorite Hawks to watch. Nothing flashy but dude gets the job done. But, I like 1 upset or unexpected thing each Iowa/ISU dual, and this will be it.
165: Marinelli Fall. Not much else to say.
174: Kemerer MD. He is levels above Coleman. I like Coleman and think he can make a run at AA this year, but I also think Kemerer is a notch below only Mark Hall at this weight.
184: Colbray dec. It doesn't matter if its Brands or Wilcke. It'll be a similar type match. Brands does push the pace a bit more, but still provides nothing flashy or surprising.
197: Warner dec. Shapiro should be able to hang with Warner. He was an AA last year but he doesn't like to push the pace and gases out a bit, evidenced by his UTC match yesterday.
285: Cass dec. Gremmel will battle and hang in, but Cass is just better.

Team Score: 26-9. I see the toss ups being 141, 149, 157 and 184. The others are decidedly favored for the Hawkeyes.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Any guesses on how many hawk fans will be there sunday? I got my tickets but haven't been to an ISU/Iowa Dual in years. I am sure they will fill up the upper deck like cockroaches.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Any guesses on how many hawk fans will be there sunday? I got my tickets but haven't been to an ISU/Iowa Dual in years. I am sure they will fill up the upper deck like cockroaches.
There will be plenty in the lowers, too. They have outnumbered us the last few times in Hilton , hope this year is different.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
125: Lee MD. As mentioned by OP, he will jump out to a big lead and then the rest of the match will be about even.
133: Glynn/Teasdale dec. I had some expectation for Small's abilities to beat Glynn, but after yesterday's dual, those expectations fell off.
141: DeSanto dec. Parker is tough. Has an engine. But, even under-sized, I think Desanto will just be too much. I hope I am wrong and Parker can stay out of the fireman's and grind his way to a W.
149: Degen dec. I think Degen will be Lugo's achilles heel again this year. His length and style match up perfectly with Lugo's weaknesses. Will look much like their matches last year.
157: Carr dec. I mean, why not? Young is honestly 1 of my favorite Hawks to watch. Nothing flashy but dude gets the job done. But, I like 1 upset or unexpected thing each Iowa/ISU dual, and this will be it.
165: Marinelli Fall. Not much else to say.
174: Kemerer MD. He is levels above Coleman. I like Coleman and think he can make a run at AA this year, but I also think Kemerer is a notch below only Mark Hall at this weight.
184: Colbray dec. It doesn't matter if its Brands or Wilcke. It'll be a similar type match. Brands does push the pace a bit more, but still provides nothing flashy or surprising.
197: Warner dec. Shapiro should be able to hang with Warner. He was an AA last year but he doesn't like to push the pace and gases out a bit, evidenced by his UTC match yesterday.
285: Cass dec. Gremmel will battle and hang in, but Cass is just better.

Team Score: 26-9. I see the toss ups being 141, 149, 157 and 184. The others are decidedly favored for the Hawkeyes.

I wouldn't rule out Shapiro upsetting Warner either.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jmb1498

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've gone over this thing a few times, it's depressing that even if every possible thing goes our way (winning at 41,49,57,84 and potentially at 33 or some other really weird, unforeseen upset) and splitting 5 and 5, this thing really isn't gonna be close because of all the firepower and bonus points Iowa is gonna put up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All of your expert, realistic, informed opinions are dragging me down. :(

Anybody willing to post their predictions and results from last year along side their predictions from this year? I don't recall anyone predicting that last year would be close. :eek:

Hoping for some Hliton Magic! :D

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron