ISU's "bizarre" 2017 loss at Kansas State was "defining" in a sense for Matt Campbell's Cyclones

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'll never forget that day. It's the day I got banned on here for saying Snyder was nothing but respectful towards ISU after the game and knew he got away with a win.

That game pales in comparison to the Rhoades debacle two years earlier though with how mad I've been at a sporting event.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Rob, I think you have the quotes around the wrong word. It should be "loss" rather than "bizarre".

At least that is my opinion. If any game deserves an asterisk, it is that one. I have never heard so many disinterested observers volunteer that a team got totally hosed as I did after that one.

That being said, it has got to be what you love about Campbell. He used what they learned there during the Liberty Bowl. While they were reviewing Montgomery's TD that they called a fumble Campbell was telling his team that he hoped this review would go against his team. Why? Because it was an opportunity for them all to prove that they were better than they were in Manhattan and they wouldn't let bad breaks put the nail in their coffin. The review did go against them and both the defense and the offense stepped up to the challenge, stopped Memphis, and salted the game away with a game ending drive.

That is a leader of men.

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and Jerms

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I thought for sure my now wife (we were dating at the time) was going to break up with me because I was absolutely distraught when those flags got picked up. Man that one still stings to this day

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'll never forget that day. It's the day I got banned on here for saying Snyder was nothing but respectful towards ISU after the game and knew he got away with a win.

That game pales in comparison to the Rhoades debacle two years earlier though with how mad I've been at a sporting event.
I never really understood why fans cared about the Rhoads debacle. That game cemented his fate. We were finally free and could start fresh again. Had we won that KSU game, I think Rhoads might have been back in 2016.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There screwed us at WVU that same year. Butler caught a pass, the defender tried to tackle him, and Butler broke free and was clear to the endzone for the win. But the refs had called him down or stopped. He wasn't, it was a VERY bad call. So yeah, we were really close to 10 wins that year, maybe eleven if we don't **** ourselves against Iowa that year. Oh, and even in that game the refs screwed us late in the 4rth Q. Vanderberg grabbed and pulled our defensive back from getting to an overthrow. It was offensive PI all the way. That would have backed Iowa way up and probably would have iced the game.

Out of all the recent heartache against Iowa, the 2017 game is probably the one I’m still not over. Had them dead to rights, couldn’t close it out. Just think if we had switched the defense then instead of before Texas.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I never really understood why fans cared about the Rhoads debacle. That game cemented his fate. We were finally free and could start fresh again. Had we won that KSU game, I think Rhoads might have been back in 2016.
It was a big deal because it was the most inept coaching I've ever seen. It ended up being the best thing that ever happened to ISU football but at the time people were having a meltdown.

I remember being there around K-State fans and they were just as shocked that any coaching staff could be that stupid.

• Agree
Reactions: Clones123

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I will also add the the KSU fans before the game were super friendly. Got a lot of "Welcome to K-State" and they had nothing but good things to say about ISU and Campbell.

But as soon as they won, they were complete ********. Yelling in our face, telling us to have fun going back to Iowa. It was a complete 180 and we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The K State game was bad, but I think the correct call was made in the Oklahoma State game.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
This game, that moment, and the blarge against Michigan State all rank up there for me. Hard to pick one, as all had me steaming (might be the blarge due to the consequences, and the fact that it made me mad for years).
The blarge cost us a chance at a national championship. Not saying we wouldve won that Michigan St game for sure, but that call ensured we didnt. And that was the de facto title game imo, both teams were much better than everyone else in the elite 8

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't know how any ISU fan can look at either of those and not be pissed... same as the texass fumble/strip by JG at the goal line..
I just showed little JM the video of CPR going apeshit after that game. He was like "wow, our old coach was an angry man" lol