It was just another game today

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
For me though, it was a lot more. I had the unfortunate experience of suffering a massive heart attack at about 2:45 AM last Monday morning. The ER team that took care of me considered it a "personal best" just to keep me alive. I've had two procedures during the week including a couple of stents and a "leadless" in-heart pacemaker, which is next level technology, and I will need another procedure soon. Point of my post however was that with all the turmoil I've been through my ISU fandom provided a much needed diversion from reality. The game today gave me something to look forward to--my release from the hospital--in time to see the next game. A game with very little importance to what actually mattered to me and all the people pulling for me, but just the diversion that I also needed. Been cheering since I graduated from ISU in 1976. Man, what a fun time it is to be a cyclone.

Monday is just another game--or is it?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For me though, it was a lot more. I had the unfortunate experience of suffering a massive heart attack at about 2:45 AM last Monday morning. The ER team that took care of me considered it a "personal best" just to keep me alive. I've had two procedures during the week including a couple of stents and a "leadless" in-heart pacemaker, which is next level technology, and I will need another procedure soon. Point of my post however was that with all the turmoil I've been through my ISU fandom provided a much needed diversion from reality. The game today gave me something to look forward to--my release from the hospital--in time to see the next game. A game with very little importance to what actually mattered to me and all the people pulling for me, but just the diversion that I also needed. Been cheering since I graduated from ISU in 1976. Man, what a fun time it is to be a cyclone.

I wish you nothing but the best on your continuing recovery, and a Cyclone victory Monday.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

This is the wildest post I think I’ve ever seen on cyfan. And I mean only respect. Holy hell man, glad to see that you survived all that enough to watch today’s game then post. And all the best going forward with your health.

Your story reminds me of one Billy Packer or another announcer shared during ISU’s Big 8 tourney championship game vs Kansas in 1996. Some lady delivered a baby then checked out of the hospital early and rode down to the game in KC. Respect.

Reactions: CycloneOE and NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Hoping for the best for you.
Being a Cyclone fan can certainly be hard on your heart at times.;)

Reactions: CycloneOE and NWICY

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Wishing you the best! I remember watching the Ejim 48 point game from a hospital with my family on some crappy tiny TV. That season provided a great escape from reality. ISU might not win on Big Monday but it sure is fun having TJ and the team in the top ten with a real shot at winning the conference. I think they can do it!

Reactions: NWICY

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Your post made my day, we’re in the same decade. A lot of anonymous random stuff gets put out there on CF but occasionally a post like yours makes everybody pause to put things in perspective. Good luck.

Reactions: CycloneOE

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Hang in there, we need you!
I truly appreciate all the well wishes sent my way--it can be overwhelming at times. I was raised in an environment where men weren't supposed to cry but that went out the window the last few days. I've always approached life that when delivered tastefully a little humor can do wonders for the spirit. JP4CY's response really struck my funny bone as the first thing that came to mind was Dr Pepper's "transfer portal" commercial in which the quarterback requested the fans' "other hand" after the fan stated "we really need you" but was refused because that was his Dr Pepper hand and quarterbacks could be replaced. Thanks JP4CY for the moment. Thanks again everyone. Everybody needs to keep things in perspective but let's do this Monday night. Proud to be a Clone!