It's time we stop putting up with the disappointment

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I really couldn't believe the friends I have who were so excited when this season was about to start. We should win five games, six if we get our annual surprise win.

I tried to explain that we started with the same players as last year, many left, we had a combined one start on the O-line, and would be lucky to beat San Jose State and Kansas. I was called negative. I am sure it's those fans that are now blasting the caoches and players.

We gave Hoiberg time to rebuild, because he is Hoiberg. We need to give Campbell some time too.

Every thing you said is correct, but getting our asses handed to us by Iowa is bound to put everyone in a bad mood. As ISU fans we all hate losing to Iowa, their fan base is just too obnoxious.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I'm shocked that there are 60,000 people in the state of Iowa who still pay for this **** program.

Give up. I did it and couldn't be happier. Plus I save a ton of money. The OP is right

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I love this team, coaches, and this university. But, as much as MC realizes his team needs to stop disappointing fans, we need to stop accepting and making excuses for disappointment after disappointment. I'm tired...tired of waiting for our time, tired of waiting to dominate anyone, tired of dreaming of having a smidgen of the success that Iowa has had. It's a dog eat dog world and I'm tired of always wearing milk bone cyclone underwear. Win games you should win! Be in games no matter what! I teach my children about the unforgiving world they must succeed in yet I stand with fans who continue to accept below average. No more. My family is out. My kids are choosing to go elsewhere for college because of the constant disappointment that I can no longer defend. My over decade of season tickets from over 5 hours away will end this season. I just no longer believe. And to those 'see ya later' fans...bite me! Enjoy your seat backs in that empty stadium in 3 years.

Hoping to be revived from this headache!
CCyFan

You know, you are right! I am no longer accepting this. I await your command on what "stop accepting" means I should do. I can't wait to get started with my non-accepting!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Every thing you said is correct, but getting our asses handed to us by Iowa is bound to put everyone in a bad mood. As ISU fans we all hate losing to Iowa, their fan base is just too obnoxious.

I was at the game last night and for the first time ever in mymany visits to Iowa City they were respectful both before and after the entire game. I was shocked. I was on the West Side of the stadium this year, maybe that matters.

The bar is very low for me with respect to Hawks.

Reactions: The_Gent

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No. As all do, they are choosing their education based on many factors, of which the athletics environment is one with football being a large part. Anyone who doesn't believe that it impacts kids choices please explain then why it is a multi-billion $ industry with astounding coaching salaries universities are ever willing to pay in an attempt to achieve success.

Must be a small minority of asshats that choose a university based on football success, considering ISU has a larger enrollment than Iowa...

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I love this team, coaches, and this university. But, as much as MC realizes his team needs to stop disappointing fans, we need to stop accepting and making excuses for disappointment after disappointment. I'm tired...tired of waiting for our time, tired of waiting to dominate anyone, tired of dreaming of having a smidgen of the success that Iowa has had. It's a dog eat dog world and I'm tired of always wearing milk bone cyclone underwear. Win games you should win! Be in games no matter what! I teach my children about the unforgiving world they must succeed in yet I stand with fans who continue to accept below average. No more. My family is out. My kids are choosing to go elsewhere for college because of the constant disappointment that I can no longer defend. My over decade of season tickets from over 5 hours away will end this season. I just no longer believe. And to those 'see ya later' fans...bite me! Enjoy your seat backs in that empty stadium in 3 years.

Hoping to be revived from this headache!
CCyFan
I warn you that you sound like you are choosing a very rough path. Good luck to you, as not many have succeeded at what you are thinking about doing. Iowa State and being a Cyclone gets into your blood. There is no known cure for it and trying to get rid of it is harder than trying to get off of heroin.

Being a Cyclone fan requires sacrifice, dedication, hard work, perseverance, undying loyalty, and fortitude. Qualities that fans of more entitled programs will never know nor learn. We all could have chosen to be fans of Michigan, Notre Dame or Alabama, etc. but what would that have accomplished? We could sit back in our seats on Sunday morning and feel smug and good about ourselves, without so much as breaking a sweat, nor ever having set foot on campus. That's taking the easy way out; the easy path, custom-made for lesser individuals.

Cyclone fans have chosen the path less traveled, the steeper, the harder, the rockier path, that builds character and whose greatest reward serves to build character and those desirable qualities that help us succeed in everyday life.

Let's take a look at the "easy" path ahead of you. First off, you'll have to change your cyclonefanatic user name or better yet, cancel your membership. Next you'll have to gather every bit of Cyclone gear that you have and destroy it or get rid of it. No more hanging out on any Cyclone or ISU forums or websites. Find other activities on the fall that will keep you busy and keep you from thinking about ISU or the Cyclones. Tell your Cyclone friends that you can no longer be their friend, as any little thing that reminds you of ISU will tempt you to backslide into the Cyclone fold again.

You will need outside support in order to stay on your chosen path. You may have to find or start a Cyclone Anonyomous group of others who are trying to rid themselves of being a Cyclone. You will always have to remember to never, never give into the urge to just "watch a little of a Cyclone game" as you will think you can handle "just a little" but that's just the beginning to becoming a Cyclone fan again.

Good luck in your endeavour and the choice of which path you will take!

FSD

Jul 5, 2015
Asset to market. Not decision for going to school there. There is a difference.

Did you read the article, it is not about being located in a given "market". Here's quotes from the articler, see highlight words, "sales tool = "marketing" & "marketing by" = selling:

"What's the downside of not using football to maximum advantage as a marketing tool? Well if the out of state student numbers are reversed, what you see in black becomes red. In the prior example, if WSU had a reduction of 400 out of state incoming students the revenue for the freshman class would fall by over $ 5 million annually, and result in a loss of over $21 million over the 4 year undergraduate span. Only one FBS school (University of Alabama Birmingham) has dropped football in recent years, and this was based off a highly questionable report; the sport was quickly reinstated.

The marketing by state schools to attract out of state students is controversial as some believe the schools are abandoning their mission to provide affordable and quality education to state residents simply to get more revenue. However given the widespread cuts in state funding, the additional support received by increased numbers of students paying out of state rates is needed by many public universities to keep tuition affordable for in-state students. It's simply a reality of today and even for non-profit institutions, if there's no margin, there's no mission."

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Did you read the article, it is not about being located in a given "market". Here's quotes from the articler, see highlight words, "sales tool = "marketing" & "marketing by" = selling:

"What's the downside of not using football to maximum advantage as a marketing tool? Well if the out of state student numbers are reversed, what you see in black becomes red. In the prior example, if WSU had a reduction of 400 out of state incoming students the revenue for the freshman class would fall by over $ 5 million annually, and result in a loss of over $21 million over the 4 year undergraduate span. Only one FBS school (University of Alabama Birmingham) has dropped football in recent years, and this was based off a highly questionable report; the sport was quickly reinstated.

The marketing by state schools to attract out of state students is controversial as some believe the schools are abandoning their mission to provide affordable and quality education to state residents simply to get more revenue. However given the widespread cuts in state funding, the additional support received by increased numbers of students paying out of state rates is needed by many public universities to keep tuition affordable for in-state students. It's simply a reality of today and even for non-profit institutions, if there's no margin, there's no mission."

And again, using your athletic programs to market your school to potential out of state students makes absolute sense. But one would be a moron to choose a school BECAUSE of the success of its football program, as opposed to it as a fit to the major the potential student wants to get a degree in. I'm sure there are people that actually do that, since it sounds like that's the decision of the OP and/or his children. But those people would also be morons.