cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Headline kind of speaks for itself here:

In before Mevis is signed by the team former known as the Washington Redskins

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I don’t understand why you would write this article. I’d expect this sort of trash over on a hok fan site- not on ours.

Not sure what Mevis did to you last year (maybe he stole your girlfriend or took your parking space), but using your column to make fun of one of our own is pitiful.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
It’s the freaking Jags. They figured Lazard was just a practice player material. So hopefully Mevis can land somewhere soon and be able to play. But the jags are just a sh*t show organization but thanks for giving Lazard a chance.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It’s the freaking Jags. They figured Lazard was just a practice player material. So hopefully Mevis can land somewhere soon and be able to play. But the jags are just a sh*t show organization but thanks for giving Lazard a chance.
I mean, he's an undrafted kicker who missed a bunch of fg attempts in camp. That probably would have got him shown the door at a lot of teams. The Dave Campo angle is just a small part of the story that's kind of humorous. It's not the reason he got cut.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don’t understand why you would write this article. I’d expect this sort of trash over on a hok fan site- not on ours.

Not sure what Mevis did to you last year (maybe he stole your girlfriend or took your parking space), but using your column to make fun of one of our own is pitiful.

All he did was link the article. It has already been in the 2022 NFL preseason thread and one other thread about it. So it's not like it was a big secret.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
All he did was link the article. It has already been in the 2022 NFL preseason thread and one other thread about it. So it's not like it was a big secret.
I understand that…but why post the links on here to make one of our players look bad. If it’s out there- no need to post it here.

It was in poor taste and should be removed. Let other sites mock our players- no need to pile on here. Seems like common sense to me.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I understand that…but why post the links on here to make one of our players look bad. If it’s out there- no need to post it here.

It was in poor taste and should be removed. Let other sites mock our players- no need to pile on here. Seems like common sense to me.
I guess I'm not seeing how the story is mocking him.

He missed several field goals. One of them happened to hit a coach. He got cut. There isn't exactly a ton of editorializing being done there. What line(s) from the story are so far out of bounds, in your opinion?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I'm guessing it was more his performance that made him look bad than the article.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I've seen the news about Mevis half a dozen times between here and Cyclone Alert. Complaining about this "article" is going to draw more attention to it than anything.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021

Your take is in poor taste and should be removed for lack of critical thought.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020

It was factual, it happened. What else do you want here? To shove it under the rug?

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
I guess I'm not seeing how the story is mocking him.

He missed several field goals. One of them happened to hit a coach. He got cut. There isn't exactly a ton of editorializing being done there. What line(s) from the story are so far out of bounds, in your opinion?
You’re right- this isn’t exactly a hard-hitting investigative journalism piece here…this is more akin to junior high: something bad or embarrassing happens to one of our players, so instead of saying nothing, Connor felt the need to play the ‘did you hear about Mevis?’ game. You’re right- it wasn’t journalism, there was no journaling, it was an immature re-posting of an embarrassing story about one of our players. In my opinion, that’s what’s out of bounds. Loyal Sons forever true…and that’s how he’s treated by our ‘journalists’, or in this case, our re-posters, on our site? That’s sad.

By my recollection, guys getting cut typically don’t make the featured articles section on CF. So, that tells me there’s either a personal ax to grind against a player (maybe Mevis did steal somebody’s girlfriend), or you’re piling on a kid who just lost his dream job- which is immature and sounds like junior high nonsense. Either is completely out of bounds for a fan website that is supposed to celebrate Cyclones and their achievements, not mock them when one comes up short.

Where I’m from, if something bad happens to a family member, you shut your mouth and support them, not join in with the rest of the haters.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
It was factual, it happened. What else do you want here? To shove it under the rug?
Uh- yes. Is it normal practice to make stories out of guys getting cut on CF? I don’t recall many feature articles of guys being cut. Is CF running articles on guys when they are arrested, quit the team, coaches getting a divorce, or recruits decide to not pick Iowa State after an OV?

I don’t think it’s normal practice and it feels like they’re mocking one of our own…and that’s not right. Let everybody else trash our players, but we should be building them up. How about doing some journaling- how about calling Mevis to get his take, what his next step is. I could’ve respected that. Not some ‘did you hear about how bad Mevis did’ nonsense.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa

Dude, he's doing his ******* job. It's that goddamn simple. Don't be a ****.