NFL: Jamaal Charles listed as second string

Dave19642011

Aug 6, 2011
Inwood, Ontario
Depth Chart: Here We Go Again…
The Chiefs have released their first unofficial depth chart of 2011 and, once again, the initial slotting is generating plenty of chatter. Most notably, Pro Bolwer Jamaal Charles is listed as the second-string running back behind Thomas Jones.
“I know the depth chart is like Christmas for you guys,” Haley joked. “You want that depth chart, but I will say again that it doesn’t carry nearly as much weight in our meeting rooms, our team rooms and our player rooms. The guys understand what their task is right now.
“Really, I wouldn’t put too much into it across the board.”
Here’s my take – it’s a non-issue, especially at this point in the preseason…and don’t look past the word “unofficial” being attached to it. Look no further than the Chiefs final depth chart of 2010 for plenty of examples.
- Chris Chambers was listed as a starting wide receiver, but ended up being a healthy inactive in the Chiefs playoff game vs. Baltimore.
- Tony Moeaki was listed as the second-team tight end, but started all 15 games he played in.
- Barry Richardson was listed as the second-team right tackle despite starting all 16 games for the Chiefs (15 of at right tackle).
- Kendrick Lewis was listed behind Jon McGraw at safety, but started 10 of the 12 games he played in.
- Jamaal Charles finished 2010 listed second on the depth chart and his year turned out just fine .
Fear not, Charles is not struggling through a sub-par camp and his stock with the Chiefs brass isn’t falling.
- Jamaal Charles finished 2010 listed second on the depth chart and his year turned out just fine .
Fear not, Charles is not struggling through a sub-par camp and his stock with the Chiefs brass isn’t falling.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Todd Haley doesn't care for depth charts, plus as someone said he was 2nd string all last year too.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Another example of an average at best football player turning out to be a fantasy stud for reasons beyond explanation or comprehension.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
So here's my fantasy predicament... I get one keeper. Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Dead serious.

Last year's stats:

Rushing Yards: Charles - 1,467; Johnson - 1,364
Receiving Yards: Charles - 468; Johnson - 245
Touchdowns (all touchdowns count the same in my league): Charles - 8; Johnson - 13
Fumbles lost: Charles - 2; Johnson - 2

I can't imagine that Charles will rack up that many yards again with only 5 rushing touchdowns. Additionally, TJ's yards/TDs dropped from 1402/14 in 2009 to 896/6 in 2010. I don't know that I see him getting back to those 2009 levels, so Charles will once again be carrying most of the load on a rush-heavy team.

If Johnson gets his contract extension could he be in line for a let-down year?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Another example of an average at best football player turning out to be a fantasy stud for reasons beyond explanation or comprehension.
Just imagine what he could have been if his TD numbers were more closely aligned with his yards. Second in the league in rushing yards (if this is "average at best", well ok then), T-23 in the league for rushing touchdowns. Dwayne Bowe had 15 TDs last year which hurt Charles's TD numbers and, of course, Thomas Jones is going to get some red zone touches as well.

In any case, there's no way that ratio holds. Either his yards go down or his TDs go up.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I expect the Chiefs offense to be even more dynamic this year with the additions of Breaston, Baldwin, and McClain. Charles might not get more TD's just because of added weapons and McClain taking short yardage duties.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
He will need more carries this year. I can't see him averaging over 6ypc again ...

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I expect the Chiefs offense to be even more dynamic this year with the additions of Breaston, Baldwin, and McClain. Charles might not get more TD's just because of added weapons and McClain taking short yardage duties.
Good points.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
He will need more carries this year. I can't see him averaging over 6ypc again ...
Yeah, it's not likely for him to have that average again and I really don't see his touches increasing. What intrigues me is that he was ble to rack up that many yards on a team that was 30th in the league in passing... Teams knew either he or Dwayne Bowe was getting the ball and he still had a ridiculous average. If they can manage to improve their passing game, will that open up more running lanes for him?

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Yeah, it's not likely for him to have that average again and I really don't see his touches increasing. What intrigues me is that he was ble to rack up that many yards on a team that was 30th in the league in passing... Teams knew either he or Dwayne Bowe was getting the ball and he still had a ridiculous average. If they can manage to improve their passing game, will that open up more running lanes for him?

Because that is how good Charles is if he gets any amount of a seem he is gone for 15 yards of more. Someone early called him an average player he is far from average he is for sure one of the top 4 backs in the league right now.