Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
In context, he was demythologizing the NCAA tournament selection process. They don't sit in a room smoking cigars and trying to come up with interesting (or payback) matchups. They rank the teams and the computer determines the matchups based on all the rules.

And when you think about how many rules there are and how many conflicts they have to avoid, it becomes obvious they'd have to use a computer. Even what would seem like small changes could quickly spiral into violating a bunch of rules they're trying to follow.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer and 1UNI2ISU

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Great interview with Pollard. He was on for most of the first hour. Here are some of the topics:
  • He has been here 18 years, longer than any other AD or President in the Big 12.
  • "Big 12" name is liked by the incoming schools.
  • Raising some of the parking lots 8 feet.
  • Doesn't appreciate the dark, concrete design of the ISC.
  • Very cooperative with the We Will Collective.
  • ISU/EIU football game looks good for the future.
  • ISU/Drake/UNI basketball games don't make sense in terms of risk/reward for the NCAA tournament.
  • NCAA tournament matchups are made by a computer.
Clue me in on the part about not appreciating the concrete design of the ISC. Does that include Hilton? Cause it's kind of the same look.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
"Doesn't appreciate the dark, concrete design of the ISC."

A damn truth bomb. Maybe that was cool in it's time, but it hasn't aged well at all.
I might be alone but I like the brutalist look and actually think it does age well, I think it blends in well with any modern looking expansions they have in mind. I mean CY Stevens won building of the century for crying out loud. Definitely needs some remodeling/fixing up but I still like all of it.

Also add more elevated walkways, I like those too

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
And when you think about how many rules there are and how many conflicts they have to avoid, it becomes obvious they'd have to use a computer. Even what would seem like small changes could quickly spiral into violating a bunch of rules they're trying to follow.

Yeah. Maybe 25-30 years ago they'd be sitting in a room trying to figure it out, but nowadays it's got to be a computer program.

There's a pretty interesting video that I think NFL films put out about how the NFL schedule is currently made (and how it used to be made). They basically put all sorts of ranking criteria and rules (number road games in a row, distance traveled, high profile teams in prime time, what networks got what games, etc) and then have some massive computer just continually run scenarios until they get a couple of the high scoring one.

Crazy to think that it just used to be a couple of guys sitting in a room starting at a board with a bunch of tags on it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
CY Stephens is a dump. I couldn’t believe how crappy it was when I was in there a month ago. Several rows were taped off from the roof leaking I think. Carpet is frayed and torn. Seats completely worn out. Terrible bathrooms. It needs either a massive renovation or torn down.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
CY Stephens is a dump. I couldn’t believe how crappy it was when I was in there a month ago. Several rows were taped off from the roof leaking I think. Carpet is frayed and torn. Seats completely worn out. Terrible bathrooms. It needs either a massive renovation or torn down.
Renovations and remodeling are happening, including new ADA restrooms near the sw entrance.
Just curious - what event were you there for?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
You just don't tear down a "Building of the Century" with several architectural awards. It was an unbelievable work at its inception and even today stands above most similar auditoriums. The AD took over its finances and from the little I've heard there's a plan going forward for renovation. If it's structurally viable, I say, give it some time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You just don't tear down a "Building of the Century" with several architectural awards. It was an unbelievable work at its inception and even today stands above most similar auditoriums. The AD took over its finances and from the little I've heard there's a plan going forward for renovation. If it's structurally viable, I say, give it some time.

Well they tore down this beauty to build Madison Square Garden. Bulldoze CY and put up condos with a small theater attached

article-0-1659C4B4000005DC-673_964x779.jpg

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Stands above most other buildings in design only. I would prefer they renovate. I have a lot of good memories in that building, but the condition it's in right now is embarrassing.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yeah. Maybe 25-30 years ago they'd be sitting in a room trying to figure it out, but nowadays it's got to be a computer program.

There's a pretty interesting video that I think NFL films put out about how the NFL schedule is currently made (and how it used to be made). They basically put all sorts of ranking criteria and rules (number road games in a row, distance traveled, high profile teams in prime time, what networks got what games, etc) and then have some massive computer just continually run scenarios until they get a couple of the high scoring one.

Crazy to think that it just used to be a couple of guys sitting in a room starting at a board with a bunch of tags on it.

For 24 years, between 1981 and 2004, a husband-and-wife team put together the entire MLB schedule all by themselves.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936328

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I might be alone but I like the brutalist look and actually think it does age well, I think it blends in well with any modern looking expansions they have in mind. I mean CY Stevens won building of the century for crying out loud. Definitely needs some remodeling/fixing up but I still like all of it.

Also add more elevated walkways, I like those too
I think the old plans to expand the Hilton concourse, more windows around it and some Cardinal and Gold lighting and accents would make Hilton look even better.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
We should still be playing UNI and Drake. It’s weak for us and for Iowa not to play them. If there were fewer games like in football, then maybe. As a fan, I’ll take the slightly lower chance of going to NCAAs to see games I care about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron