Jay Jordan’s “The Sunday After”: Iowa

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Didn't see a discussion on here for Jay's most recent piece.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2018/09/jay-jordans-the-sunday-after-iowa/

Another great article by Jay.

One observation on the first clip in the article is he critiques Kempt for not working through his progression, but as you can see the snap less than perfect, resulting in a lost .5 second of focus. This could have thrown him off to begin with but didn't pay that close attention during the game to see if Kempt needed to consistently drop his head to get the ball.

When you only have 2.5 seconds to throw a ball, .5 of a second is a critical amount of time.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Jay really sells himself short, ya it may have been a day late but certainly not a dollar short. For the life of me I don't know why we didn't hit our playmakers with short crossing routes and screens as well as attacking the holes over the LB's. Didn't test them at all.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to bump to see if it could generate more discussion among people who know football. This analysis is really interesting.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Other than the first drive, my feelings are the offense was too conservative and lacked imagination. Why didn't Butler get targeted more? Where were the bubble screens and the RB screen game? Where were the adjustments to get the ball to our best matchup? The staff was good at this last season, I find it hard to believe all this left when Manning left.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Can ISU hire Jay as a game day offensive consultant? Guy seems to see a lot of stuff that other do not.

The good thing about that game is that ISU fell on it's face offensively and still could have won it with a couple good plays.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Other than the first drive, my feelings are the offense was too conservative and lacked imagination. Why didn't Butler get targeted more? Where were the bubble screens and the RB screen game? Where were the adjustments to get the ball to our best matchup? The staff was good at this last season, I find it hard to believe all this left when Manning left.

Are first drives scripted?

Didn't need imagination. Have athletes go to the open areas, and get the ball to them quickly and let them go from there, which multiple players can, like Jones.

Butler was targeted but not in routes that suit his strengths and the play was designed in a way that the whole stadium could tell where Kempt was throwing.

• Agree
Reactions: jay moe

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is a great analysis, as usual.

Really shows how poorly CMC called this game, which was pretty evident. We didn't really even make Iowa play defense..... at least not forcing them to cover the entire field.

Have to hope we get this straightened out. Maybe CMC is on the phone with Manning this week asking for suggestions?

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Feel bad for the players, feels like the coaching staff wasn't prepared for adjustments.
When we have success moving the ball, the other team adjusts, and we get caught unprepared it makes me feel like we didnt expect success? Did we not plan for defensive adjustments?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is a great analysis, as usual.

Really shows how poorly CMC called this game, which was pretty evident. We didn't really even make Iowa play defense..... at least not forcing them to cover the entire field.

Have to hope we get this straightened out. Maybe CMC is on the phone with Manning this week asking for suggestions?
Did you see the Memphis game? He better not be calling Manning.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The positive is there's improvements to be made, that can be made.

They'll start this week even if it's a 31-20ish loss.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Did you see the Memphis game? He better not be calling Manning.

We scored a lot more than 3 points that game... and we won the game and a bowl trophy. A lot better than CMC's game one performance last Saturday.

Let me clarify though... I love CMC and believe he will possibly go down as the best thing to ever happen to ISU football. He's an awesome head coach.

I'm only calling him out about one bad game, this past Saturday. His play calling was really poor, and he probably thinks that too now after watching film.

I'm still confident he can turn it around and have this offense clicking again.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We scored a lot more than 3 points that game... and we won the game and a bowl trophy. A lot better than CMC's game one performance last Saturday.
It wasn’t a lot better on offense. Memphis just made more mistakes than Iowa. L It was also Game 13 against a worse defense and with Lazard.

I get that you’re depressed, but even depressed people use logic.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Outstanding analysis!! Although it kind of bums me out because it confirms a couple of things that thought I saw during the game:
1) Not much progress made by the OL over last year.
2) Failure to properly attack the Iowa defense, and failure to make offensive adjustments after Iowa made a defensive adjustment.

Hopefully, just first game rustiness. The OU game will be telling...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I really enjoy these articles (and podcasts) with Jay, really insightful football talk. Thanks Jay and please keep them coming.

Also, I think we all agree our "OC by committee / CMC" didn't really seem to work worth a bent ****. BUT, I think CMC will see that and look for ways to fix it. He appears to be pretty self-aware and looking for continual improvement. So hopefully this will get better soon.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I will also add, I love the addition of the video clips. Really allows you to see what he is describing. Since Woody isn't doing videocast anymore I am glad we still have something that fills the void.

Woody's take also sounded like there wasn't much ISU could have done better.

Jay's take is proof of the opposite, with visual evidence.

Wish he'd go into the play that Kempt got hurt. It was a classic example of not checking down or dumping off to DM to at least get positive yardage/a first down and avoid the sack.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
There's really no reason why every passing play, Montgomery (or whoever RB is) doesn't first chip to help our tackles buy a split second of pass protection, then run an easy route to the flats or shallow middle against a LB. If teams respect that, it should open up the intermediate coverage gaps to our downfield receivers like Jay explained. If teams don't cover that, it's an easy checkdown pass for positive gain getting the ball to our best playmaker. Same could be said with our TE's, however they aren't as dynamic with the ball.

Heck, get into 2 back shotgun sets where we can chip on both sides, then send them out as safety valves. Jones and Milton could be dangerous starting back there with more open field.

I think we all understand the OL will not be great this season, or at least a slow work in progress. The gameplans should be centered around helping them perform their best, not put the most pressure on them as Jay mentioned.

No doubt in my mind Iowa's DL will be one of the best we see. I can't say the same about their back 7. What I expect from OU, like most years, is a lot of blitzing and getting after our OL/QB. We have to either anticipate that with blitz-burning passes, OR for once could we just get out of the 4/5-wide and utilize more max protect? Believe it or not we can still pass the ball with only 2 or 3 available receivers....

Defensively, we have to hope we tackle Sermon well, contain Murray in the pocket, and we can't give up too many big passes downfield to their big target Lamb or speedy Brown. And of course they need to be helped by better punting and offensively production.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas