NBA: Jeff Hornacek has been fired

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Would he have? I don't think JP was shopping in that price range.

He may be out of a job, but Jeff is not in the soup line. He will have no trouble getting another job.

True. But I think JH would have gotten a 5-6 year deal worth $2 mil annually (at least) here at Iowa State.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
my point is that they've left. To me, it doesn't matter how or why. 6 coaches in 20 years is a great way to have an unstable program that can't recruit. That's exactly what we have.

Its good that some of those coaches left. But it still isn't a good thing for the program.

The unstable program that can't recruit that you're referring to has been to 4 straight NCAA tournaments. Something that hasn't ever been done in the history of Iowa State Basketball. (and yes, the disclaimer that if Orr was working with a 64 team field he prolly would have made more tourneys, but still, the fact stands).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Bummer for him, but not exactly surprising after he narrowly avoided getting fired last month. NBA coaches are basically hired to be fired. It's rare for a coach to last more than five seasons anywhere, even the good ones. Right now I think there are only about a half dozen guys who have been with the same team for five or more seasons.

He'll land somewhere else. I think he did a good job in Phoenix, but poor roster management and injuries to key players eventually caught up with him. Didn't help when Morris went in the tank after they traded away his brother.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Only concern is how this effects the pricing on my old Jeff Hornacek trading card.

Up or down from the 50 cents that it is valued at?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Bummer for him, but not exactly surprising after he narrowly avoided getting fired last month. NBA coaches are basically hired to be fired. It's rare for a coach to last more than five seasons anywhere, even the good ones. Right now I think there are only about a half dozen guys who have been with the same team for five or more seasons.

He'll land somewhere else. I think he did a good job in Phoenix, but poor roster management and injuries to key players eventually caught up with him. Didn't help when Morris went in the tank after they traded away his brother.

Seems a lot of his downfall was brought on by the GM and Hornacek not being on the same page. The Dragic-Bledsoe-Thomas pg rotation was handled terribly and Dragic forced his way out and the Suns then turned Thomas and the Lakers top 3 protected pick into Brandon Knight and a Cavs first round pick. They had the odd Chandler signing, and Morris cap space trade to chase Aldridge at the last minute on something that seemed like a long shot at best. It's a weird team right now, some decent pieces but doesn't seem like they have a real good handle on what direction they want to head going forward.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
True. But I think JH would have gotten a 5-6 year deal worth $2 mil annually (at least) here at Iowa State.

JH is going to get fully paid out on his NBA contract (like all fired coaches do), I don't think he cares about $10M from Iowa State when he's going to get something like $6M from the Suns for not coaching (being unemployed).

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Jeff Hornacek out at Phoenix.

unfortunately for him its official. Any chance he becomes an asset to ISU, or do we stay away from the too many cooks in the kitchen scenario after what happened in football? either way, hope he lands on his feet.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Re: Jeff Hornacek out at Phoenix.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    918.1 KB · Views: 271

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

A) What's the "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem that happened with football? B) What's that have to do with basketball?

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI

A) head coach and a recent formerly a head coach butting heads. B the same guy signs off on putting him on the payroll.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

Lands on his feet? I don't think the guy will be getting in the welfare line anytime soon.