Jeff Orr...Super fan?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I'm surprised that Travis Ford let him sit on the bench and then have to deal with fans storming the court being in his agitated state. Definitely could have exploded into something much worse.

I was thinking the same thing initially but I think that's a bit of hindsight being 20/20. The refs did not believe he needed to be ejected. He was still eligible to be playing. At the time the foul is called it's a one possession game if I recall correctly. What if OSU forces OT. Do you then go get Smart from the locker room to come back and play? If it doesn't at what point do you give up on the game and send him back to the locker room? If it was so bad Smart needed to be off the court the refs are the ones that messed up, not Ford.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I understand Smart's frustration. Also, if some fat douchey racist was yelling racial comments at me I'm not sure I would have been able to keep my composure. Should he have shoved the fan? No, but I completely understand why he did.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
I feel bad for Smart. He's not a bad kid, but if that guy dropped N bombs on him he should be banned from all Big 12 venues. We've all been to games where there is one big mouth that thinks because he buys a ticket then he can verbally abuse players.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm surprised that Travis Ford let him sit on the bench and then have to deal with fans storming the court being in his agitated state. Definitely could have exploded into something much worse.
It's hard to say if he saw exactly what happened, but yeah he could tell Smart was super ******, he should have just taken him off the court.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
lost in all of this, that fan technically iced the game for his team. OSU was down two, and Smart had just fouled the shooter. FT's were coming. if the Ttech player misses a FT or two OSU has the chance to tie with 6 seconds left. instead a technical and Ttech shoots a bunch of FT's and get the ball, the game is over.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Back in my day.....Jeff Grayer went up into the stands before a game against Mizzou to confront a group called....."The Antlers". Was saying garbage about his mother which if I recall was sick at the time. This TT fan reminds me a bit of those losers. And if he said what some think.....then he should consider himself lucky Smart just pushed him.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Travis Ford still doenst know what happened.

bclewis05

Feb 6, 2013
No idea what the guy said, but if he truly dropped the N bomb I would think those sitting around him would have heard it at as well and at the very least gave him some looks.

With that said, if the guy truly did say that.. he should be banned from all games.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Don't forget we had a fan get in Bill Self's face after the KU game last year, and that fan still gets an all access pass to everything ISU.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
lost in all of this, that fan technically iced the game for his team. OSU was down two, and Smart had just fouled the shooter. FT's were coming. if the Ttech player misses a FT or two OSU has the chance to tie with 6 seconds left. instead a technical and Ttech shoots a bunch of FT's and get the ball, the game is over.
How many fans can say they've single handedly won a game for their team? That guy is a super fan after all.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
No idea what the guy said, but if he truly dropped the N bomb I would think those sitting around him would have heard it at as well and at the very least gave him some looks.

With that said, if the guy truly did say that.. he should be banned from all games.
This is west texas we're talkin about here

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
I think you get the title SUPERFAN at Texas Tech after you attend 1 mens basketball game or 10 minutes of a womens game

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
What is strange to me is why such a "great fan" has such poor seats. You would think he would be center court first row or behind the bench. What happened was something that does not need to be part of the game. Booth the player and the fan should be held accountable for what they said/did. The player should miss games, I like Adrian Branchs 5 game ban from playing and the fan banned for a cuople years from ALL Big 12 games home and away.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Jeff Orr has hopefully seen his last TTech game. What a loser. Has been a loyal fan and nothing could punish him more than a life ban and I sincerely hope that is what happens. Anyone the age off Jeff calling names (especially a word as strong as the n word) to a 19 yr old kid is just ridiculous.

Granted, Smart shouldn't have reacted the way he did but you can understand in the heat of the moment like that where he is coming from.

4 game from suspension for Smart and a lifetime ban for Orr from all TTech athletics sounds about right. Jeff Orr's character is more stained after this incident than Smart's.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What's telling to me is that no one sitting around Orr had any kind of reaction or shocked facial expression when Orr supposedly said bad things to Smart. People who know him say he would never use the N word or something like "go back to Africa." Some have said he just called him a flopper. Smart has a history of inappropriate behavior, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's lying - making up the race card - to absolve himself from accountability.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It is also a possibility that Smart misheard him. Would love to know what exactly was said.