Jelani Hamilton enters portal

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For these freshman at top 25 programs, if you start and excel you're a borderline draft pick. If you aren't that good right away you don't play much and automatically hit the portal. It's such a slim margin.

The rare thing seems to be decent playing time as a freshman and just so-so but good enough to start next year for sure and keep progressing.

I don't blame them at all but it's a different world now. I wonder if a conference like the MWC, A10 or American isn't the ideal. Good enough to show out for your next stop (or the league if you're a total phenom), but not so good you risk not playing heavy as a freshman.

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
For these freshman at top 25 programs, if you start and excel you're a borderline draft pick. If you aren't that good right away you don't play much and automatically hit the portal. It's such a slim margin.

The rare thing seems to be decent playing time as a freshman and just so-so but good enough to start next year for sure and keep progressing.

I don't blame them at all but it's a different world now. I wonder if a conference like the MWC, A10 or American isn't the ideal. Good enough to show out for your next stop (or the league if you're a total phenom), but not so good you risk not playing heavy as a freshman.
I just wouldn't want to be a player considering transferring down to a one bid league like the Valley. If you take one transfer seeking playing time, and your coach does a poor job of building the team around you, you probably never garner enough attention without the NCAA tournament to get back up to the level you left.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I think Omaha stays. King is gone (as are Rob jones and Ward). Watson and Omaha can split time at the 4. I don't see a reason where Omaha has to go anywhere. His physical tools are nba level. It is clearly worth it for him to develop at ISU.

Don’t get your hopes up. There’s already reports he’s gone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I just wouldn't want to be a player considering transferring down to a one bid league like the Valley. If you take one transfer seeking playing time, and your coach does a poor job of building the team around you, you probably never garner enough attention without the NCAA tournament to get back up to the level you left.

Yeah, and you never know when the great mid major conferences go to a down cycle.

So far the worst move seems to be someone in a starring role on a P6 winning team transferring laterally to a similarly successful P6 team...if the goal is to make the NBA/WNBA, you see a lot of players whose stats flatline or go down with the lateral move. They're giving up a set spot in the rotation on a winning team and a staff who had them on track to improve for the unknown.

If the goal is to just make a million a year in college instead of 100k or 300k I'm sure "mission accomplished" the minute they ink the deal even if their career tanks...but it seems like quite a risk if the big picture goal is setting up a pro career.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I think Omaha stays. King is gone (as are Rob jones and Ward). Watson and Omaha can split time at the 4. I don't see a reason where Omaha has to go anywhere. His physical tools are nba level. It is clearly worth it for him to develop at ISU.
The mins he played in Big12 tourney I saw no tools. He may be athletic but he made zero plays on either end, and looked out of position on Def a few times. Vs expectation of player with NBA anything. Not saying this can not change, and I am still hoping he lives up to billing as ISU could use that next year

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Don’t get your hopes up. There’s already reports he’s gone

It would be very interesting if he does, I can't imagine a P6 collective opening the wallet. I could see a lot of mid majors thrilled at the idea or maybe other P6 that would put him on same development schedule he'd be on at ISU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Wtf! So what exactly is going on now? Guys show up in the fall and if they aren't good enough to break the rotation as an 18 year old then they're done?

I thought Hamilton was in line to get alot of minutes once Jones and Gilbert were out of eligibility and he was redshirtig this year to save him for 4 here.
I think you have to take into account the agency of the player in this. This coaching staff is going to be honest with them and tell them where they are at in their development, and what is likely for year two. Unless he was an early blooming superstar, he's not getting in front of these three guards next year. If we are adding experience at guard, he may not get in front of that one either.

I hate seeing anyone go because my favorite thing in college sports is watching freshman go from potential to its realization over the span of 4 or 5 years, but slow development is not really going to be a thing if you want to stay at the top (unless you have a ton of potential and are really patient).

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
It would be very interesting if he does, I can't imagine a P6 collective opening the wallet. I could see a lot of mid majors thrilled at the idea or maybe other P6 that would put him on same development schedule he'd be on at ISU.

There will be a lot of Nebraska smoke. Maybe even WVU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think you have to take into account the agency of the player in this. This coaching staff is going to be honest with them and tell them where they are at in their development, and what is likely for year two. Unless he was an early blooming superstar, he's not getting in front of these three guards next year. If we are adding experience at guard, he may not get in front of that one either.

I hate seeing anyone go because my favorite thing in college sports is watching freshman go from potential to its realization over the span of 4 or 5 years, but slow development is not really going to be a thing if you want to stay at the top (unless you have a ton of potential and are really patient).

As a big NBA fan...back in the late 90s to early 00s era of "one and done" a huge problem was they'd draft these high school kids, they'd get almost no production from them, then sometimes the next team would get them at a better value as a free agent and they become an All Star as a 5th/6th year player now in their early to mid 20s instead of a teenager. Jermaine O'neal is the easy one to look at, did very little for team that drafted him, dominant all star for first team who signed him as a free agent after rookie contract, Portland might have been better off drafting a lower ceiling proven college guy instead of a kid.

Check the jump right after his rookie contract for new team, then super star second year with new team...as he becomes 22 or 23

Seems like college basketball is suddenly experiencing the same thing 25 years later.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There will be a lot of Nebraska smoke. Maybe even WVU

Everybody likes him, but if the collective has a choice of paying the 4 guys who were at or near All Big 12 level they have to do what they have to do. Also two of those guys are still underclassmen and one is for sure a 4 year player no matter how good he is because lacking NBA size.

Apr 19, 2006
If Omaha stays he needs to get on the Matt Thomas feet agility training post haste. Matt didn't start out great on defense. He made himself into a very good defensive player mainly due to his development of his feet.
Twitter
I guess I didn't realize he played in 20 games. I wonder how much we paid him to come here. No different then playing the stock market. Some payoff and others don't.

Although when we don't have deep pockets the bigger bets hurt more when they don't pan out.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

If I were that next tier (A10, Valley, WCC, AAC). That's exactly how I'd position myself. Come give me two years, we'll get you minutes if you work hard and then you can transfer up.

Worst case is you don't make the jump and have a solid career in a league with a shot to get multiple bids.

Every level is going to have to adapt or die.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A midmajor player doesn’t need the tournament to get attention.

This isn’t the 90’s. There’s film on all these guys, and staffs are intentionally tracking and tampering targets all year.

A big chunk of high school recruiting now is to establish connections needed for when they transfer

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If I were that next tier (A10, Valley, WCC, AAC). That's exactly how I'd position myself. Come give me two years, we'll get you minutes if you work hard and then you can transfer up.

Worst case is you don't make the jump and have a solid career in a league with a shot to get multiple bids.

Every level is going to have to adapt or die.
Yep, everyone feeling bad for mid-majors but there is definitely new opportunities now for them as well. Go get the good but not top freshman that you never had access to before and have em for a couple years and find high major guys that couldn't quite cut it (like Pav) and snag them.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Yep, everyone feeling bad for mid-majors but there is definitely new opportunities now for them as well. Go get the good but not top freshman that you never had access to before and have em for a couple years and find high major guys that couldn't quite cut it (like Pav) and snag them.
I totally agree.

I'd bet more high school players that are not "elite" but still fairly highly ranked, like 100 to 150 ish that would have taken offers from P5 teams will do it differently. They go to the A10, MVC, AAC, or whatever and show out. Then transfer up.