Joe Burrow and Others purchasing Iowa Farm Land

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Just saw this on twitter thought I would throw it out there. I don't live in Iowa anymore is $48k an acre a realistic price?

And for any farmers is a single digit return realistic here? A $5m purchase at 1% is a $50k per year return. Thats a hell of a return I would think on 104 acres of land. I guess maybe they will take land appreciation into account as well??

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Just saw this on twitter thought I would throw it out there. I don't live in Iowa anymore is $48k an acre a realistic price?

For farm land? No. That's development prices.

This will be a popular investment for athletes though. Raef LaFrentz bought some farmland in Mitchell County last year (north of St Ansgar near the MN border). I ran into him leaving the St Ansgar Casey's a few weeks later.

Random sidebar, but I just happen to see him out and about like 5 times a year. Granted, there aren't many 7 footers in Decorah, but it always surprises me.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Only way this is true is if it is a massive money laundering scheme, because there is no way this would be profitable for anyone.
Doesn't look like they're trying to make a profit...?

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
If the soil conservationists are correct and we only have 50-60 years of agricultural life left in the soil, it will be interesting (not in a good way) as to what land prices will do. I'm no economist but what happens to a commodity as it is about to run out/become scarce? It shoots up in value!

However, in this case the commodity doesn't really run out, it just dies and becomes non productive. I would assume that as we approach this event, food prices will skyrocket up to the point of the event and thus so will land prices, but then the land will become utterly useless and worthless after the event. Those who stored food away will become kings as the rest of us (or our children/grandchildren/great grandchildren) die a slow death of starvation.

Edit: this is all assuming we haven't completely ruined our water supply and are still around at all.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Would be interesting to see if the land is in an area that could be developed within the next 10-20 years as that is about the only reason you would pay that much an acre. It says northern Iowa so that is pretty vague. I know some farmland near my parents in Dallas county that recently went somewhere around the 12-14k an acre range but it is actually farmland and nowhere near somewhere that is going to be developed.

Also know some people that have been farming for multiple generations just west of Waukee that finally caved in and sold some of their land to a development with the condition that they would be able to farm some land that developer owns just south of them that they aren't building anything on yet so they still are able to keep farming roughly the same amount of acres they were before they sold them the land.

Reactions: agentbear

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For farm land? No. That's development prices.

This will be a popular investment for athletes though. Raef LaFrentz bought some farmland in Mitchell County last year (north of St Ansgar near the MN border). I ran into him leaving the St Ansgar Casey's a few weeks later.

Random sidebar, but I just happen to see him out and about like 5 times a year. Granted, there aren't many 7 footers in Decorah, but it always surprises me.
Raef LaFrentz has 4 sons that go to Decorah. Will be interesting to see how good they end up being.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron