John Calipari to Arkansas

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
For all the talent Cal has had in his career, to only have 1 title is damning to his actual in game ability.

and that year he got incredibly lucky that he basically had an all star team in the NBA playing for him. I could have coached that team to a National Title. They were that talented.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
He may or may not be interested...but the boosters at UK will not be interested in paying $18 million for TJ to leave ISU...I mean, we LOVE him...and I think he would be a home run hire for UK! But I am guessing whoever is planning to pay a buyout for their new coach to leave their former job...will not look at $18 million for TJ as a good thing? I am guessing they see themselves as hiring the any coach they want...no matter what job that person may currently hold!
1712589754234.png

All i am saying is that Oats is in the same boat. I would argue TJ's resume is the larger deterrent than the buyout for UK. If TJ had Oats's Final four. The buyout would be no problem. I would take TJ over Oats but I am biased as a Cyclone. I think at the end of their careers, TJ will be considered the better coach. At this point of their careers though, Oats has done more.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Didn't Frank Vogel go to Kentucky for a bit? His seat is getting a little warm in Phoenix.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Does Oats have any connections to UK or is it just one of those, good coach in our conference so we want him? Can't imagine bama would be happy about losing their coach so I expect their boosters to open their wallets.

If I was UK i would go after Scott Drew.
Scott Drew would be Perfect for UK.
Let's make it happen!
:)

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
IMO this is all on Cal. His resistance to grow and adapt to modern recruiting and his distain for NIL would certainly turn off some of today's best athletes. The transfer portal and NIL has "aged" the college game. IMO recruiting is still the lifeblood of success but now there are more avenues for recruiting other than just high school seniors and Cal just didn't seem interested in changing with the times.
Agreed, he's just not a great fit now. Arkansas won't be much different imo

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Kentucky wanted him gone. Win win for both fanbases. Not sure why Arkansas would want him honestly. Arkansas is a great job.
Oh how times have changed. I remember when Eddie Sutton said he ’would crawl to Kentucky’ in order to take the job when was the Arkansas coach.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Oh how times have changed. I remember when Eddie Sutton said he ’would crawl to Kentucky’ in order to take the job when was the Arkansas coach.
He found out real fast how much of a pressure cooker that Kentucky job was. Had them on probation within a few years. Kentucky is still arguably the top job in college basketball. I think Arkansas is a way better job now than when he was there in the 70s even though he went to a Final Four. Great facilities, lots of $$$, good tradition, and great fans.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
He found out real fast how much of a pressure cooker that Kentucky job was. Had them on probation within a few years. Kentucky is still arguably the top job in college basketball. I think Arkansas is a way better job now than when he was there in the 70s even though he went to a Final Four. Great facilities, lots of $$$, good tradition, and great fans.
Arkansas is a great job that has never taken advantage of their resources. It's not UK, but UK Is one of the top jobs in the country and if they make the right hire they will continue to be. I won't be surprised if this ends up good for both schools. Cal needed a fresh restart and to readjust the age of the players he recruits (maybe go 50/50 with HS and transfers) and UK also needed a fresh restart. Will probably end up a really good move for the SEC, especially if they can keep Oats at Alabama.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Scott Drew would be Perfect for UK.
Let's make it happen!
:)
Disagree.

If we want to I have a league that prides itself on being the best basketball conference in the country, we want to hold on to our best coaches. Drew certainly is one.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't see it as a big "FU" to Kentucky, I see a coach that was tired of the fan base and the university and a university and a fan base tired of the coach. The guy has won a lot of games, but I am sure he was tired of the getting second guessed, they have been disappointing in the tournament the past few years, and he would like to coach in a place that was happy to get a coach that could win them games.
Sometimes you need a fresh start, and he will get that Arkansas.

I also see it as a guy who has not been able to adjust to this new age of college basketball. A team of 5 star freshman isn’t guaranteed to be better than a team with older, less talented players. Roster creation and roster management (I.e. what TJ and others do) >>> rolling out a bunch of talent and hoping it works.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Drew is one of those that Kentucky should throw a bunch of money at to try and get him to come, but like Otz, is he happy where he's at and doesn't particularly want to leave?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If they win tonight they are without a doubt a college basketball blue blood. 6 titles in 30 years qualifies.
Believe it's 6 in 25 years. If UCONN wins tonight believe they will have the 3rd most tiles of all-time (Behind UCLA & Kentucky). Pretty crazy for a school from Storrs, Connecticut.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cal was close to getting fired at Kentucky. Now he has new contract and a pay raise somewhere else.

Tang's agent floats his name out there for the Arkansas job (even if Arkansas wasn't interested) and he gets a raise.

I should have been a sports agent.
The buyout for Cal was about 33 million if he was fired, he accepted a little less money at Arkansas than he was making at Kentucky but the new contract has incentives that can raise him over what he was making at UK.

Without a doubt Fran at EIU would jump in a NY minute with a similar contract to what he is getting at EIU and a chance to start over. A coach can stay at a school too long, and I think Cal was just tired of the fan base.