John Calipari to Arkansas

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think T.J. has nearly enough cache yet to land a job like that. I could see another Big 12 coach landing that job though, Scott Drew.
Sampson? Maybe even Self?

Kentucky is going to want a PROVEN winner there. They will throw a dump truck full of money at some folks that shouldn't be gettable.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know. He's got a pretty sweet gig now. He's good at it and I'm sure it pays well, and he's not going to recieve criticism if he loses more than 3 games in a season and doesn't win the national championship. Hard to see a guy wanting to deal with that just a couple of years after he left coaching because he didn't have the fire for it any more.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't know. He's got a pretty sweet gig now. He's good at it and I'm sure it pays well, and he's not going to recieve criticism if he loses more than 3 games in a season and doesn't win the national championship. Hard to see a guy wanting to deal with that just a couple of years after he left coaching because he didn't have the fire for it any more.

Wright seems happy as a clam as a broadcaster/"elder statesman" of the sport.

Reactions: Jer

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Kentucky landing Jay Wright would be a huge coup, coming up smelling like roses. I don't see it. But Drew could be it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He’s also sneaky old. Didn’t know that. But 8-10 mil per year is something.

Yeah, i'm sure he's got more than enough money to live comfortably, but 50 million dollars for a 5 year deal would be hard to say no to.

On a similar note, while I don't think he'll be on their lists (or necessarily that he'd even go), this does make me wonder when we'll hear about another extension for TJ

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, i'm sure he's got more than enough money to live comfortably, but 50 million dollars for a 5 year deal would be hard to say no to.

On a similar note, while I don't think he'll be on their lists (or necessarily that he'd even go), this does make me wonder when we'll hear about another extension for TJ
I feel like an extension is just customary after a great season and this was unquestionably a great season. Arguably the second best ever. I'm sure he will be on medua lists for UK, whether or not he's seriously considered. He's one of the hottest names in coaching.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I feel like an extension is just customary after a great season and this was unquestionably a great season. Arguably the second best ever. I'm sure he will be on medua lists for UK, whether or not he's seriously considered. He's one of the hottest names in coaching.
I think we don't hear a lot about him because he's not putting his name out, and/or people assume he won't leave. It will be interesting as time goes on to see how that holds up.

• Dumb
Reactions: RonBurgundy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, Kentucky seems like the type of school where the fanbase would demand that they would have to swing and miss at multiple proven final 4 type guys before they even considered TJ, even though most people who know college basketball know what an outstanding job he's done.

But yes, at minimum you'd think he gets a couple years tacked onto his contract for a year that probably only falls behind 2000 in overall success, and looking like it could be even better next year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A good point by Fran, Cal leaving could end up giving multiple coaches raises if they choose to stay where they are.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think we don't hear a lot about him because he's not putting his name out, and/or people assume he won't leave. It will be interesting as time goes on to see how that holds up.
I think fit matters too. TJs culture may not work at a place like UK. I'm not going to sell TJ short and say he can't adapt to fit with the type of player he would be expected to bring in at UK, but I don't think he could run things the way he is at ISU right now. There is a lot of talent that doesn't want to deal with that. I think it's why Hunter left just as much as the money based on some of the stories I've seen.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Sorry, just dumb to think JP won't take care of TJ and he would have any interest in leaving.

God, do we really have to start this **** with TJ already after years of CMC proving he is solid?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think fit matters too. TJs culture may not work at a place like UK. I'm not going to sell TJ short and say he can't adapt to fit with the type of player he would be expected to bring in at UK, but I don't think he could run things the way he is at ISU right now. There is a lot of talent that doesn't want to deal with that. I think it's why Hunter left just as much as the money based on some of the stories I've seen.

I was thinking of that athletic column from a couple weeks ago about how he run things and thinking the same thing. It'd definitely be a different type of program he'd have to adapt to. If anyone can it'd be him, but UK isn't exactly the type of place that's going to be all that accommodating towards the time that learning curve might take.

• Dumb

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sorry, just dumb to think JP won't take care of TJ and he would have any interest in leaving.

God, do we really have to start this **** with TJ already after years of CMC proving he is solid?

I mean, i trust what he says about wanting to be here. (And i'll preface the rest saying I don't think at all that he's leaving for this job and the rest of this post gets into hypotheticals)

But think of it strictly like a job. If someone came to you and offered to let you do the same job you're doing now for double or triple the money, you wouldn't seriously consider it, no matter how much you liked the current job?

JP will do what he can to keep TJ happy. But JP also can't compete with the kind of money a Kentucky can throw around if it ever came to that. And I don't think any of us could really judge what would be life changing money for most people.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I mean, i trust what he says about wanting to be here. (And i'll preface the rest saying I don't think at all that he's leaving for this job and the rest of this post gets into hypotheticals)

Then kind of dumb to be floating ridiculous stuff. Get back to us in 2-3 weeks when UK announces someone not named TJ.

But then again, you Rotters will stir up the pot.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Then kind of dumb to be floating ridiculous stuff. Get back to us in 2-3 weeks when UK announces someone not named TJ.

But then again, you Rotters will stir up the pot.

Its a message board, people discuss all kinds of things.

• Dumb