Johnny Orr Passes Away

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Having the band play the tonight show theme without Coach pumping his fists would suck.
I'd like to let the Michigan game be the final time it rings throughout Hilton. Seems perfect considering the opponent that day.

I agree. What a great LIVING tribute. We couldn't have asked for a better last game. His two schools, ISU win. Fred coaching. I think a moment of silence might be better.

rich4cy

Apr 11, 2006
In 2006 Johnny Orr helped me find my biological parents. Who at the time we thought was a former player. Sitting in my dorm room in willow. I called Johnny for any info he had on the former player. He told me the whole recruiting story of the player and how he had lost contact after he left. We spoke for 30 minutes. I was ready to give up. He told me not to give up and he would help by any means he could. 2 hours later I was on the phone with my biological mom.

I'm blown away.

Thank you Johnny

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
In 2006 Johnny Orr helped me find my biological parents. Who at the time we thought was a former player. Sitting in my dorm room in willow. I called Johnny for any info he had on the former player. He told me the whole recruiting story of the player and how he had lost contact after he left. We spoke for 30 minutes. I was ready to give up. He told me not to give up and he would help by any means he could. 2 hours later I was on the phone with my biological mom.

I'm blown away.

Thank you Johnny

..incredible.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Johnny.jpg
It was so good to see Johnny in October at the State Center banquet. He was still lighting up rooms.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Truly a sad day for all of Cyclone Nation and college basketball to hear of Johnny's passing. Prayers to his family. I wonder if there is any way we can get a statue of him outisde of Hilton similar to like what we have for Jack Trice. The man was a legend for ISU and his memory will be continued on through the magic that he created in Hilton that we all enjoy today.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Very glad he got to be at Hilton a few weeks back to see the ISU - Michigan game. Very happy he was introduced with Fred the way he was at that time. great coach, even better person. He will be missed by all.

It's Johnny's court whether they put his name on it or not.

CtownCyclone

I got one more silver dollar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Truly a sad day for all of Cyclone Nation and college basketball to hear of Johnny's passing. Prayers to his family. I wonder if there is any way we can get a statue of him outisde of Hilton similar to like what we have for Jack Trice. The man was a legend for ISU and his memory will be continued on through the magic that he created in Hilton that we all enjoy today.

Doesn't he already have a statue in Hilton?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Very glad he got to be at Hilton a few weeks back to see the ISU - Michigan game. Very happy he was introduced with Fred the way he was at that time. great coach, even better person. He will be missed by all.

This...I am very happy I was there to say how much we appreciated/loved him.

Rest in peace Johnny!

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

Amen...amen...and aaaaaamen.

While I never saw a game Johnny Orr coached, I know just how much he means to Cyclone fans, and more, his influence on where this basketball program is now.

Thank you, Johnny.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
This is so sad. It is somewhat fitting, though, that there is a game tonight. I have to believe Coach would want the place packed and loud. I had chills at the Michigan game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This...I am very happy I was there to say how much we appreciated/loved him.

Rest in peace Johnny!

The good thing is that Iowa State has done a great job over the last few years of honoring Johnny. The statue in Hilton is exactly how I remember him and is about the best tribute that he could have.

I was out of town a few years ago when they dedicated it and it made me sick knowing I missed that game. So I was thrilled when they announced he would be at the Michigan game.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is so sad. It is somewhat fitting, though, that there is a game tonight. I have to believe Coach would want the place packed and loud. I had chills at the Michigan game.

Thjs. He'll at least get a proper sendoff tonight at Hilton. While I never wanted this day to happen I'm happy it was during the season and on the day of a home game so we can all show our appreciation.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Thjs. He'll at least get a proper sendoff tonight at Hilton. While I never wanted this day to happen I'm happy it was during the season and on the day of a home game so we can all show our appreciation.

Slam me if you want...

Win or lose (Dear lord, we'd better be winning)...can we get a "Hilton Magic" chant for the final minute of the game?

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
Re: Johnny Orr passed away?!?! being reported by Cotler

Very sad to hear this. Johnny is a big reason I'm a Cyclone. I was in school from '83 to '88 and Hilton was absolutely nuts. Johnny will be missed greatly.