Jok Eye-Poke

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a serious question for Iowa Stte fans: Why do you boo so much? Nearly every time the whistle blows and the resulting call is not in ISU's favor, the fans boo. Are the majority of fans not knowledgeable about basketball? Is it the "herd" or "mob" mentality? Are the refs just that bad at every single game? I'm genuinely curious, because literally every Iowa State basketball game I have ever watched is filled with constant booing from the fans, more so than any other sporting even I have ever seen.

If it helps you get several calls a game why not, its a nasty place to play and it influences officials.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines
Maybe this has already been said (didn't read the whole thread) but I think our fans were booing the fact that the ref stopped play for the guy with the ball being hurt. I've seen players sprain ankles, or in Derrick Rose's case, tear ACLs with the ball and not have play stopped. I don't disagree with the decision either way.

Or Georges play another couple minutes in the tourney with a broken bone in his foot.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
If you thought there was very little booing tonight that kind of illustrates my point- there was a lot of booing tonight, on numerous occasions towards calls that were clearly correct. Again, it's not something that I just observed tonight but rather over the course of several years. I suppose you can chalk it up to "passion" or "engagement" if you'd like. I'm just genuinely curious.

Boo

I guess some fanbases boo and others boo hoo. I'm glad we're not the latter.

Hilton has 14K passion screaming fans. Emotion is there. Other places all you hear is sneakers squeaking. I'm glad we're not the latter.

Last edited:

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Getting poked in the eye is not an injury, its a minor inconvenience. Exceptions would be the Kane eye rake and back when the dude from Villanova (Randy Foye?) got his entire eyeball poked out and and it was dangling.

Jok went down like he was hit by a sniper, while holding the ball, and the ref felt the need to stop the play. I think the booing was due to the stoppage of play, not that Jok had an eye poked. If Jok tore up his ACL or something instead, there wouldn't have been any booing.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
Fans were booing because the ref stopped play and prevented Jok from getting a traveling call. It was not the fact that Jok got hurt, and to even think that ISU fans were booing an injury to another player shows how ridiculous you are blinded by your hawk goggles. Goodness. Isu fans aren't savages.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Do people not understand the booing wasn't for the eye poke? It was for the writhing on the floor?

GO WATCH FRANK KAMINSKY from last year, no eye poke does that to someone. It was a pure soccer move. A hurt leg takes you to the floor, not a poked eye....

While that may true, I've always found it best to not match someone's lack of class.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Major respect for Georges then for his reaction to the "Charlie horse" a few games back. Dude acted like he had been shot by a sniper!

He scored 12 on a broken foot in the NCAA tourney, and played with a gash above his eye in the Big 12 tournament final. Would be a pretty dumb move to question his toughness because he thought he had a major knee injury.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I have a serious question for Iowa Stte fans: Why do you boo so much? Nearly every time the whistle blows and the resulting call is not in ISU's favor, the fans boo. Are the majority of fans not knowledgeable about basketball? Is it the "herd" or "mob" mentality? Are the refs just that bad at every single game? I'm genuinely curious, because literally every Iowa State basketball game I have ever watched is filled with constant booing from the fans, more so than any other sporting even I have ever seen.

When there are 14,500 passionate fans, you are going to hear a lot of booing. It's one of the louder places in college basketball. It's like asking, "why do those fans cheer so much?". Watch a KU game, they boo a ton too.

I love when people like Jon Miller and KU people make fun of ISU fans booing. It's like they pointing and saying "Look how passionate those fans are!".

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I sit in the nosebleeds and saw Naz's hand make contact on the first replay. Obviously nothing intentional but he definitely got him. What I want to know is why so many of our fans were booing. No foul was called on Naz and Jok was down on the court clearly hurt. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

I was there and I don't think people were booing Jok...what we were booing was the fact that from the stands it looked as if T-Rex poked his own team-mates eye and the ref's stopped play. That's what everyone was upset over.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
First off, it should have been a travel. No foul was called, no whistle blown, and Jok tumbled to the ground.

Second, it was an innocent eye poke/graze, yet Jok rolled around on the floor like he took a right hook to the jaw.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

It was because there were a LOT of missed calls in the first half. Did you not hear them cheer loudly for one of Uhl's random fouls and then when they called a moving screen? It was a sarcastic cheer because they missed so many traveling calls on Woodbuy in the first half. Im sure you dont agree with the lopsided officiating in the first half, but that's why there were so many boos.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Boos were directed at no call on blatant moving screen and then no travel call when he falls to court with the ball. Pretty cut and dried but EIU gonna look for anything to rip Isu.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
It seems ever time he had the ball he moved both feet. He also had about 20 fouls, that were never called.

There were about 3 straight possessions in the second half, it appeared to me he changed his pivot foot every time he had the ball. No calls.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Seriously, was the moving screen ever called? It was happening all night.

Im not sure, I thought there was one called. It got a sarcastic cheer from the crowd. But it might have been a foul or something else called on that one. It happened a LOT though.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion