Josh Pate interview with Matt Campbell

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Josh Pate might be Iowa State's biggest cheerleader in the national media. Super knowledgeable guy, who I still feel like is flying under the radar for how talented he is.
He's not flying under the radar with the younger generation of CFB fans. He's close to becoming the voice of the sport in their eyes.

And he's a genuine ISU fan, despite growing up in Georgia.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Fantastic snippet there. I appreciate Coach's philosophy on work/life/family.

I'm only kidding when I ask, but why is Coach speaking so quietly? Was there another meeting going on in that room during the interview? Was Pollard napping in the next room?

It would be an entirely different vibe if he said this like he was cutting a Flair promo.

"YOU KNOW....I'VE BEEN THAT GUY!!!"

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He's not flying under the radar with the younger generation of CFB fans. He's close to becoming the voice of the sport in their eyes.

And he's a genuine ISU fan, despite growing up in Georgia.
Pate is the best out there. No agenda, no trying to be funny, no provoking fans for clicks. Just smart college football talk. Incredibly well spoken too.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Pate is the best out there. No agenda, no trying to be funny, no provoking fans for clicks. Just smart college football talk. Incredibly well spoken too.
He’s simply the best right now. If you ever hear him tell his story it’s not hard to see why he is the way he is. He was working in a dead end job fabric or textile factory in his 20’s completely broke and started working (for free I believe) at a local Georgia radio station. Built his brand through his own YouTube channel until he was noticed. Incredible story and is a breath of fresh air to hear a voice that didn’t come from Ivy League or northwestern type journo school.

If you have a couple of minutes watch this.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Damn, I didn't know Josh was so jacked. Hard to tell on his podcasts, but next to CMC...wowza.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Damn, I didn't know Josh was so jacked. Hard to tell on his podcasts, but next to CMC...wowza.
Dude spends a lot of time in the gym. Would surprise me if he didn’t put some work in at the ISU weight room while he was here.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Dude spends a lot of time in the gym. Would surprise me if he didn’t put some work in at the ISU weight room while he was here.
Access to the weight room is typically one of his criteria for visiting a school.

But the fact he doesn't eat the skin on rotisserie chicken is serial killer behavior.

Reactions: shadow and Frak

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Didn’t expect to hear much new, but I was pleasantly surprised that Matt did not use the ‘winning in the margins’ line once.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
This is the part. This is the guy.

YES. This is where Matt Campbell is a special human being. It's never been about the money for him. He would rather stay at one job and build a fantastic career than have to move 6 times over 18 years. It isn't as rare as some would think: Bill Snyder, Mike Gundy, Pinkel in his long go at Mizzou, and Kirk Ferentz.

I have to say chasing the dollar and moving and getting fired over and over would suck somewhat - that's especially true if you had a bunch of kids and a family.

Love me some Coach Campbell. He's taken ISU to a spot I questioned we could get to, and I think this season can be really good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron