Joshua Jefferson has committed to Iowa State

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This may end up being incorrect, but Heise is going to play a lot. He appears like a slightly more athletic CuJo imo.
The only way Heise plays alot is if Cujo starts and we start a 3 guard lineup with Milan at the 4 and Jackson/Jefferson at the 5.

Last year Cujo came off the bench so I think that's what he'll stick with now. That means Heise is essentially in the Paveltzke role for next year. I don't think he plays significant minutes until 2025.

I think we need Jackson/Jefferson out there more than we need to play 4 guards extensive minutes.

We know the 4 returning guys will probably combine for 120-130 minutes. That leaves 70-80 for the rest.

If Jefferson/Jackson get 20-25 each, then throw in Watson for 10-15, that leaves only around 10-15 total for the rest of Rock/Heise/Chatfield/2 freshman.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This may end up being incorrect, but Heise is going to play a lot. He appears like a slightly more athletic CuJo imo.
Blum kind of said as much in the most recent podcast. We are in a really good shape at all positions. Heise will play a lot. Last year down the stretch the team was dealing with fatigue and some injuries that come with that. There were a couple of games where Gilbert and Lipsey were not effective on offense and Pav couldn't fully produce enough to fill in. Next season we shouldn't have to worry about that. The one guy I worry about with injury next year is Jackson. I'm sure Chatfield and Rock are decent, but there is a bigger drop off at that position than the others. We don't have that at the guards, Jones and Heise can come in without much drop off. Of course Jefferson/Milan puts ups in great shape where they would play. Watson too (on defense at least)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think we see starter minutes trimmed back a bit to carve out time for Heise. Getting a couple more minutes off per half for Lipsey, Gilbert and Momcilovic keeps everyone fresher and allows the D to be even more disruptive.

Minutes something like this.
Lipsey 28
Gilbert 28
Momcilovic 27
Jones 28
Heise 20
Jefferson 25
Watson 6
Jackson 24
Chatfield 14

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and LLCoolCY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Heise will play a lot
Define "alot". I'll predict he averages 10-12 minutes. That doesn't seem like much to me.

Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones already played some of the lightest starter minutes in the Big 12 last year. We want them on the floor even less next year?

I guess if there's no drop-off then I'm all for it, but those 3 were kind of essential to our success so seeing less of them seems like a bad idea.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I see the groupings like this:

1: Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones
2: Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Indrusaitus
3: Momcilovic/Heise/Indrusaitus
4: Jefferson/Watson/Chatfield
5: Jackson/Rock/Chatfield

I think we'd be comfortable playing all out on both ends while subbing frequently and can probably keep everyone at 30 minutes or under, which would help tremendously on the wear and tear.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Living in Cedar Rapids I'm already looking forward to the 30 minute drive to Carver next December. Given the overall apathy towards Iowa's MBB team tickets will be cheap and the crowd will probably be over half State fans. Suck it Fran.
Good idea never even thought about that. BUT I despise going to CHA will have to give this some thought.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: qwerty and Cy4Lifer

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Define "alot". I'll predict he averages 10-12 minutes. That doesn't seem like much to me.

Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones already played some of the lightest starter minutes in the Big 12 last year. We want them on the floor even less next year?

I guess if there's no drop-off then I'm all for it, but those 3 were kind of essential to our success so seeing less of them seems like a bad idea.
Blum said that, I don't know what he meant by a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
718177e4-2388-44ce-9d3d-f8d2055d0c8a_text.gif
OMG, GIF of the year!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Blum kind of said as much in the most recent podcast. We are in a really good shape at all positions. Heise will play a lot. Last year down the stretch the team was dealing with fatigue and some injuries that come with that. There were a couple of games where Gilbert and Lipsey were not effective on offense and Pav couldn't fully produce enough to fill in. Next season we shouldn't have to worry about that. The one guy I worry about with injury next year is Jackson. I'm sure Chatfield and Rock are decent, but there is a bigger drop off at that position than the others. We don't have that at the guards, Jones and Heise can come in without much drop off. Of course Jefferson/Milan puts ups in great shape where they would play. Watson too (on defense at least)
Agree

Imo the way to think about it, is if Heise had transferred in for last year, there wouldn’t be three guys returning that played 30+ minutes and one more that played 27 minutes. Those that can play pg will still get a lot of minutes, but everyone else will go down

We can’t sleep on Watson. In our biggest game of the season, he played 14 minutes.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Agree

Imo the way to think about it, is if Heise had transferred in for last year, there wouldn’t be three guys returning that played 30+ minutes and one more that played 27 minutes. Those that can play pg will still get a lot of minutes, but everyone else will go down

We can’t sleep on Watson. In our biggest game of the season, he played 14 minutes.
So you think Watson takes minutes from Heise?

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Reactions: Letterkenny

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

Blum said that, I don't know what he meant by a lot.
He said more than 15 minutes a game

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
The only way Heise plays alot is if Cujo starts and we start a 3 guard lineup with Milan at the 4 and Jackson/Jefferson at the 5.

Last year Cujo came off the bench so I think that's what he'll stick with now. That means Heise is essentially in the Paveltzke role for next year. I don't think he plays significant minutes until 2025.

I think we need Jackson/Jefferson out there more than we need to play 4 guards extensive minutes.

We know the 4 returning guys will probably combine for 120-130 minutes. That leaves 70-80 for the rest.

If Jefferson/Jackson get 20-25 each, then throw in Watson for 10-15, that leaves only around 10-15 total for the rest of Rock/Heise/Chatfield/2 freshman.
Four guards for a couple minutes might be fun and really push pace and increase pressure.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Living in Cedar Rapids I'm already looking forward to the 30 minute drive to Carver next December. Given the overall apathy towards Iowa's MBB team tickets will be cheap and the crowd will probably be over half State fans. Suck it Fran.
I think tickets won’t be as easy to get as you think. ISU will be the biggest game on their schedule and we will be a top 5 team. Also they will be riding high after beating a bunch of small no name schools. After the blowout loss to ISU the real apathy will kick in.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I bet we are not. NOt that we don't deserve to be. Just guessing the AP voters will over rank Arkansas. They will get a ton of good players even though they won't play well together. Kentucky and all of the others that they love to rank in the top 5.

Iowa State will be top 5.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think tickets won’t be as easy to get as you think. ISU will be the biggest game on their schedule and we will be a top 5 team. Also they will be riding high after beating a bunch of small no name schools. After the blowout loss to ISU the real apathy will kick in.
Living in Cedar Rapids, I interact with Hawk fans on a regular basis. the "I don't give a $#it about MBB" factor has never been higher.

If Sandfart does not come back there is not enough free pizza and bobbleheads in Iowa to get a decent crowd into Carver next season. Their best bet is to schedule a doubleheader with their women and not tell fans who is going to play first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron