NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I see the groupings like this:

1: Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones
2: Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Indrusaitus
3: Momcilovic/Heise/Indrusaitus
4: Jefferson/Watson/Chatfield
5: Jackson/Rock/Chatfield

I think we'd be comfortable playing all out on both ends while subbing frequently and can probably keep everyone at 30 minutes or under, which would help tremendously on the wear and tear.
Exactly my thought, with Heise getting 2/3 of his minutes backing up Milan (10‐12), plus some at off-guard.

I think the biggest question will be the allocation of minutes between Watson, Chatfield and Rock.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
When we predict minutes per game, the question really should be, what is the minutes distribution in the games against Kansas, Houston, Baylor and Arizona?

Lipsey 33
Gilbert 28
Momcilovic 27
Jefferson 24
Jackson 25

Jones 30
Watson 15
Heise 15
Chatfield 3

???

Over a multiple game schedule against the KU, Houston, Baylor types:

Lipsey 29
Gilbert 29
Milan 25
CuJo 25
Jefferson 25
Jackson 23
Heise 20
Chatfield 12
Watson 12

I could see Heise closer to 25 too

Last edited:
Reactions: WastedTalent

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Lipsey 29
Gilbert 29
Milan 25
CuJo 25
Jefferson 25
Jackson 23
Heise 20
Chatfield 12
Watson 12

I think the biggest trade off from game to game is going to be the Heise vs Watson minutes. Game flow and matchups will dictate a lot there.
Also the shifting around of Momcilovic between the 3/4, and Jefferson between the 4/5.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think we see starter minutes trimmed back a bit to carve out time for Heise. Getting a couple more minutes off per half for Lipsey, Gilbert and Momcilovic keeps everyone fresher and allows the D to be even more disruptive.

Minutes something like this.
Lipsey 28
Gilbert 28
Momcilovic 27
Jones 28
Heise 20
Jefferson 25
Watson 6
Jackson 24
Chatfield 14
TJ has done an outstanding job so far in his 3 years here, and with putting this upcoming team together. Now we will really see how he implements all these pieces! And let's not forget Rock and the incoming freshmen too!

It seems like a great problem to have but it won't be easy. TJ is going to really have some coaching challenges upcoming. I feel like he will play a bigger rotation in order to keep everyone fresh, and still keep the petal to the metal, so to speak.

Another reason for a larger rotation, as already mentioned, will be to lessen year end fatigue and overall injury risk. But it won't be easy keeping every one happy.

I can see him playing a 10 man rotation, even more at times, frequently. He will also have the option of only playing 8 or 9 guys, if those 8 are playing well.

It's gong to be fascinating to watch.

Reactions: NENick

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Unpopular opinion: I don't think Rock plays meaningful minutes.

Not calling him a bust. He's still very young, at a position that requires the most experience.
I'm hoping he gets some decent run in non-con and at least can get his feet wet in some Big12 games. Then next year takes a big jump

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
A ten man rotation could now be possible. Extra rest could really add to some ramped up defensive pressure. If everyone on the team buys in (again), the sky's the limit. Needless to say, I'm excited for basketball season.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think the biggest trade off from game to game is going to be the Heise vs Watson minutes. Game flow and matchups will dictate a lot there.
Also the shifting around of Momcilovic between the 3/4, and Jefferson between the 4/5.

That would mean Watson has improved to be more than needing him when the other team has problematic long, athletic 3/4s. A role has gotten him just under 10 minutes in Big 12 games the last two seasons

If he has improved, I think it’s he’s taking minutes from more than Heise imo

It’s going to be a fun offseason of lineup threads. We have at least one more rotation worthy player than we typically do against top teams

Reactions: t-noah

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Lipsey 29
Gilbert 29
Milan 25
CuJo 25
Jefferson 25
Jackson 23
Heise 20
Chatfield 12
Watson 12

I think it depends a lot on how Rock shakes out.

If Rock is good to go for 20 mpg, then he, DJ, & JJ will prob get ~70 mpg at the 4-5 spots, with MM getting most of the rest (Chatfield getting a little). 1-2-3 spots, the big 3 will get 90 mpg, with MM ~25 (on top of time at the 4) and Heise/Industry getting ~5.

If Rock is not ready for big role yet, then there is more Milan at the 4 and less at the 3, and more Heise/Industry minutes at the 2-3. And a little more Chatfield as well.

I will say having Rock play a good amount of quality minutes should make all the bigs more fresh and effective.

Also wrt Jefferson - on the video he reminds me a LOT of Tre King, but better with the dribble and vision. That should make the offense flow better when he is in the game. King was more of a destination for the ball as opposed to someone that could move it around.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CyFan7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2023
Do we know what the Jefferson's knee injury was? I saw he had surgery right away but didn't see a timetable. Getting back in time for a full offseason would be nice

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interestingly our 1995/96 team was picked for last in the Big 8. They finished second in the league and won the Big 8 tournament championship. Our 2000 team I think was picked 8th in the Big 12, and we all know what they did. I guess my point is you never know when it is going to be a great year or a let down. I'm betting on a great one for next year.
I'm pretty sure there was one prediction in the USA Today that picked that 99-00 ISU squad 12th in the Big 12. They would have picked them lower, but they ran out of teams to put ahead of them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Much preferred Jefferson to Hadley. Much better fit and need.

Really exactly what the doctor ordered.
hedley-lamarr-blazing-saddles.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This team is so deep! Guards and Milan don’t change and only get deeper with the addition of Heise. Jackson, Jefferson, Chatfield/Rock is certainly an upgrade over BRE, King, and Ward. This team is outrageously deep and good on paper.
My one question about losing the entire front court is how well can all of these new bodies guard guards. One of ISU's strengths last year was the ability to switch everything as needed and 6'9 or 6'10" guys being able to stay in front of speedy guards. Are all of these new bigs going to be able to do this? That ability really made it tough to create and exploit mismatches with screens against that team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
TJ could save a lot of time if he read these threads on CF...

We need a 'who gets what minutes tonight?' thread separate from game day threads so he and the staff can refer to it easily before tip off.

Tbh I hope the staff actually has inside jokes like seeing if they met the 'standards' of posters like ZRF.

Reactions: jcyclonee

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
If I remember right, early last season many of you wanted to give Curtis Jones zero minutes. Good thing TJ didn’t listen because at the end of the season Curtis may have been our best player. I think I will trust TJ to play the best guys.

;)

Edit: Many of you thought King would be our starting 5 before the season too.

Last edited:

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
My one question about losing the entire front court is how well can all of these new bodies guard guards. One of ISU's strengths last year was the ability to switch everything as needed and 6'9 or 6'10" guys being able to stay in front of speedy guards. Are all of these new bigs going to be able to do this? That ability really made it tough to create and exploit mismatches with screens against that team.
I get what you're saying. Dishon Jackson is a very good defender with speed and athleticism and Jefferson has the speed to be able to help keep the pesky speedy guards away. I'd say defensively we're not really losing anything. Offensively we seem to be 3-4 points per game better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron