JP has to priortize improvements right now

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
and i think he has made the right decisions.

Track needs an outdoor facility. We have a good history in track and field and an above average indoor facility. Jamie said tonight that we are very comparable to Nebraska on scholarships and funding for track with one exception, the outdoor facility.

Soccer needs to get out of the floodplain. With that done, maybe Hilton and its parking lots can be levyed.

New football offices attached to the Bergstrom and the South endzone will ahve to wait apparently on new TV revenue or increased FB season ticket sales. FB season ticket sales are down 10-15% from Chizik (puke) levels. Hard to believe, but it is what it is. If CPR gets things going it will work out.

One real piece of news is that with FB offices in the Bergstrom, the south endzone, when it does happen will be double deck and actually increase capacity.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I disagree. He has to prioritize because we are short on funds, yet he is investing in non-revenue sports.

Despite those needs, we can field teams in those sports.

Reactions: cyfanatic

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009

Track needs an outdoor facility. We have a good history in track and field and an above average indoor facility. Jamie said tonight that we are very comparable to Nebraska on scholarships and funding for track with one exception, the outdoor facility.

Soccer needs to get out of the floodplain. With that done, maybe Hilton and its parking lots can be levyed.

New football offices attached to the Bergstrom and the South endzone will ahve to wait apparently on new TV revenue or increased FB season ticket sales. FB season ticket sales are down 10-15% from Chizik (puke) levels. Hard to believe, but it is what it is. If CPR gets things going it will work out.

One real piece of news is that with FB offices in the Bergstrom, the south endzone, when it does happen will be double deck and actually increase capacity.
Thank goodness track drives the bus in college athletics :rolleyes::rolleyes:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

ISU and the city/state need to work on that. You cant put a levee in the middle of town. There are to many homes around there that would be affected by a levee.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
they should just buy the area that is owned the haunted forest and put in a levee there, put one on the north side of lincoln way that would prevent flooding over by cyride, and one near brookside park. you could just have a steel wall that could be inserted over lincoln way to keep the water confined to just going over the bridge and hope it flows south of town. ames would have to add more levees in the tree line line along squaw creek to prevent the walmart area from flooding again. probably way to complicated and expensive since you would have to buy a lot of land and tear down buildings in order to do this. but it could prevent the issues and in the long run may save money if we keep getting summer rains like this every other year

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Once track has the facility they can host meets. Hosting meets equals increased revenue. Increased revenue equals less dependance on football money. That frees up more of football's money for football. Not to mention if we can get close to Nebby levels in track, it will make our university more noticable on a national level thus growing our brand name.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Re: I disagree

I don't think so. At least it should be checked out. University Blvd already holds back a 100 year flood. Another 3 or 4 feet might do a 500 year. Hilton, parking lots and the football area (most of which is already above flood levels) is not that big an area. There aren't any homes below the athletic complex and South Duff is getting cleared out. A ring levee around a high value area like Hilton may only add a few inches to flood stage downstream.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
And to think that I was expecting this thread to be about how JP is terrible for putting the scoreboard project first on the list!

You have to do the projects you have the money for. New scoreboard/sound system and track/field complex will be "small" projects that will have a good impact - for the track/soccer folks, they'll get a totally new facility. For the football fans, hopefully they'll get a better experience.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Once track has the facility they can host meets. Hosting meets equals increased revenue. Increased revenue equals less dependance on football money. That frees up more of football's money for football. Not to mention if we can get close to Nebby levels in track, it will make our university more noticable on a national level thus growing our brand name.

I find it notable that you are using a university that was one of the first to heavily invest in football and still currently invests near the top as why we should have a fiscal policy of investing in non-revenue sports before football.

Is NU track and field non-revenue? So if we are near the best, and spend more than a large majority, it may barley generate a little revenue?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I find it notable that you are using a university that was one of the first to heavily invest in football and still currently invests near the top as why we should have a fiscal policy of investing in non-revenue sports before football.

Is NU track and field non-revenue? So if we are near the best, and spend more than a large majority, it may barley generate a little revenue?

I'm interested to know exactly which sports you think the AD is supposed to support and which ones it isn't supposed to support...

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I am not saying we should invest in it before football. We need football improvements but have you seen the outdoor track? That facility is needed badly.
Nebby has a very strong tradition in track. I'm saying if we can compete with them (top 10-20) people around will notice our university more. Think UNI in the early 2000s in track. Top 10ish program until the coach went to Ark. People knew who UNI was and could identify their logo.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
I am not saying we should invest in it before football. We need football improvements but have you seen the outdoor track? That facility is needed badly.
Nebby has a very strong tradition in track. I'm saying if we can compete with them (top 10-20) people around will notice our university more. Think UNI in the early 2000s in track. Top 10ish program until the coach went to Ark. People knew who UNI was and could identify their logo.

UNI and Nebraska are/were good in track? I don't think anyone knows and/or cares.

Reactions: WhoISthis

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
UNI and Nebraska are/were good in track? I don't think anyone knows and/or cares.

Not everyone does. But creating a national brand (at ISU) has to come from all sports doing well. Believe it or not there are fans that watch and care about those olympic sports. Make a name there, get known better. It wouldn't even be close to what would happen if football was a power but let's be real, we're never going to be a powerhouse team.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Not everyone does. But creating a national brand (at ISU) has to come from all sports doing well. Believe it or not there are fans that watch and care about those olympic sports. Make a name there, get known better. It wouldn't even be close to what would happen if football was a power but let's be real, we're never going to be a powerhouse team.

A national brand comes from Football/MBB. That's it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Its unfortunate, but true. We can excite our own fans by excelling in other areas (look at the followings wbb, vb, and wrestling have developed here) but they dont do anything for us as a national brand.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Re: I disagree

I don't think so. At least it should be checked out. University Blvd already holds back a 100 year flood. Another 3 or 4 feet might do a 500 year. Hilton, parking lots and the football area (most of which is already above flood levels) is not that big an area. There aren't any homes below the athletic complex and South Duff is getting cleared out. A ring levee around a high value area like Hilton may only add a few inches to flood stage downstream.

Not even... the effects of this downstream would be exponentially small... not even measurable.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

This. We have had a great run in wrestling, womens bball, volleyball etc., but that doesn't chnage the fact that I run into people outside of Iowa all the time that think we are the hawkeyes or we are in Idaho or something. Earning national recognition from track, ha!

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
I agree with spending money on T&F (being a T&F guy I'm partial here though) but it could be a really smart investment with Nebby leaving the conference. We could be THE big T&F school in the North and if we host the Big12s every 4 years then that would be an additional $200K in revenue (based on Mizzu's ticket sales last year) , and if we create an outdoor event as big as the ISU Classic indoor meet that is even half as good as the Drake Relays in terms of revenue (Drake Relays revenues about $750K/year) then it could generate another $350K every year. Add in holding the State HS T&F meet and you could revenue another $50-100K there. That's roughly $500K every year on the average.

If we build a $5M track facility it would pay for itself in 10 years and then it would be a facility and program that helped offset the cost of the sport that currently has less than $50K revenue (I'm guessing on that, with the only income coming from the ISU Open and ISU Classic indoor meets which have great attendance by indoor track standards, but are still not well attended).

I guess my point is, looking at the numbers it looks like the investment would pay for itself in a relatively short period of time and once paid for could help significantly offset more of the costs incurred by the sport. It looks like a financial win in my book and it would help the overall athletic department.