JTS Improvements - Want More

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Yea, but now they are efficiently moving dirt, wonder how much more backfill they can put in before pouring the cover; then how long cover has to cure before back filling and compaction on top of it. Just curious, just so its done by September 4 :)

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
I think they may have poured the walkway for the northeast hillside today. The screenshot below shows a darker substance next to the retaining wall (it was white lime rock before).
jake1.png

It's hard to know for sure because they had the "@#$%" ing camera pointing away from that area most of the day. :(

Maybe they were using a top secret concrete mix that gives hawk fans a permanent rash. :cool:

This is a shot from yesterday showing the white lime rock by the wall.
jake22.jpg

Last edited:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Do we think they'll pour today? (and that walkway looks awesome!)

View attachment 85244
civil Engineers, that form for the pour looks interesting, can you describe it for me, just curious.

I think they have a couple of days before they are ready to pour. It looks like they have the support bridging in place to hold up the bottom of the forms (but no bottom forms yet).

It does look like the side form for the south wall is in place, but no side form for the north wall or east side along the retaining wall.

Edit: from this zoom shot, it looks like no side forms, but have started the bottom forms on south side.

formss.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
That is a high quality camera. Zoomed in a few minutes ago to Elwood (yes that is what I still call it) amazed at the clarity of the cars traveling on it.
They were having way too much fun tracking cars traveling South and then followed a guy on a bike back north!

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and chadm

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That is a high quality camera. Zoomed in a few minutes ago to Elwood (yes that is what I still call it) amazed at the clarity of the cars traveling on it.
Elwood forever!

It always amused me that they wanted to rename Elwood “University” for better name recognition. Partly because I can’t see how anyone got confused with the signage in the first place...and partly because I’m pretty sure that was the original reasoning behind State Avenue once being named what it was long ago.

In the meantime, I’m watching the webcam regularly. It’s been a while since I made it up to Ames. Too long.

• Agree
Reactions: chadm

CycoT

Sep 18, 2009
Ames
What surprised me a bit is that they’re compacting the soil with heavy equipment. Apparently that styrofoam is tougher than your average coffee cup.
Geofoam has grown in popularity in the last decade or so, for good reason. I've seen it used most frequently for highway projects.

It's SUPER dense, helps with long-term drainage and protection of underground utilities - especially on slopes like the hillside areas. Also a lighter/more cost effective material than bringing in 200+ dump trucks of fill dirt.

Wish I had a photo of them here without the topsoil added!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Geofoam has grown in popularity in the last decade or so, for good reason. I've seen it used most frequently for highway projects.

It's SUPER dense, helps with long-term drainage and protection of underground utilities - especially on slopes like the hillside areas. Also a lighter/more cost effective material than bringing in 200+ dump trucks of fill dirt.

Wish I had a photo of them here without the topsoil added!
Define “before”. I’ve been taking screenshots regularly.

FD41BDFE-A2F7-4D18-BCDB-19AA2DE5F4AD.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: quadmann