JTS Improvements - Want More

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You should, because it is becoming public opinion. And in the world of college football arms race things like that matter.

ISU is a also ran in the college FB arms race. They are multiple millions behind every yr compared to the SEC and B1G.
I'm out of the arms race, once I'm priced out so be it. I've supported ISU athletics to the what I've been ok with spending but if they price me out I'll be just fine doing something else with my time and money.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Cut the check big boy and you can have any style press box you want.
We all know it’s not happening unless a big bag donor specifically wants that changed and is willing to put their money up. This thread is JTS improvements - want more. Is this not the place to discuss upgrades we’d like to see? Even if they are likely to never happen.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We all know it’s not happening unless a big bag donor specifically wants that changed and is willing to put up with it. The thread is JTS improvements - want more. Is this not the place to discuss upgrades we’d like to see? Even if they are likely to never happen.
The FB press box is the last thing in the entire complex that the A.D. needs to spend money on. Hell new seats in Hilton and CY Stephen's would be money better spent than a press box.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have been going to games in that stadium for decades. Not once have I looked up and thought that the press box was inadequate. I do read it on here though.

Yep. One of the dumber takes in our fanbase.

Most "press boxes" are premium space. We have that in other areas of the stadium. And the cost of a new facility where the press box is would be astronomical when you look at the area around where the current box is and where the support structure would have to be.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Yep. One of the dumber takes in our fanbase.

Most "press boxes" are premium space. We have that in other areas of the stadium. And the cost of a new facility where the press box is would be astronomical when you look at the area around where the current box is and where the support structure would have to be.
Agree. Do people think that if we had a better press box, the media would flock to ISU?

Let’s talk when we have standing room only and turning reporters away.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I get your point but it’s like have donuts on a $100,000 car. It looks terrible and high schools have nicer press boxes than we do. I wonder if that has deterred the networks from sending A broadcast teams to JTS (I have nothing to support this just thinking out loud).

I can’t think of one other P5 school with a worse looking press box.
West Virginia, Clemson, come to mind. There are plenty that dont have a traditional press box like Clemson. Which has it between decks like we do for suites but they have suites and press there, beyond a tiny box for cameras etc at the top.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree. Do people think that if we had a better press box, the media would flock to ISU?

Let’s talk when we have standing room only and turning reporters away.

Honestly the media probably won't even be much of a consideration. They don't pay the bills (well, the primary tv media does, but they can do their job just fine in the current facility).

There will be a press box expansion when -and only when- the current suite space is sold out and there's significant demand for more.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
tv media does, but they can do their job just fine in the current facility.

If you were in there during games, you'd disagree. Right now, there are some space deficiencies in several areas due to additional equipment (among other things) that simply didn't exist in 1997.

But it doesn't rise to the level of spending $90M for a total re-do.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The FB press box is the last thing in the entire complex that the A.D. needs to spend money on. Hell new seats in Hilton and CY Stephen's would be money better spent than a press box.

Even just in JTS, there are higher priorities. I'd put concourse\concessions\restroom improvements ahead for sure. A NEZ project (which is probably a decade or more away at best) as well.

But with a large chunk of the budget likely going to players within a few years, i'd also expect the facilities arms race to slow down. Those projects which used to be big things sold to players as amenities will just be replaced with checks.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you were in there during games, you'd disagree. Right now, there are some space deficiencies in several areas due to additional equipment (among other things) that simply didn't exist in 1997.

But it doesn't rise to the level of spending $90M for a total re-do.

I'll accept that may be true. Of course, that may make the case for a renovation within the existing structure rather than a wholesale rebuild.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Honestly the media probably won't even be much of a consideration. They don't pay the bills (well, the primary tv media does, but they can do their job just fine in the current facility).

There will be a press box expansion when -and only when- the current suite space is sold out and there's significant demand for more.
Are there unsold and unoccupied suites in JTS?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Are their unsold and unoccupied suites in JTS?

I think so last I remember JP talking about the question, but its been awhile. I assume even if they've managed to sell the current stock out, demand above that isnt significant enough to pay for the additional capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: fcclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
West Virginia, Clemson, come to mind. There are plenty that dont have a traditional press box like Clemson. Which has it between decks like we do for suites but they have suites and press there, beyond a tiny box for cameras etc at the top.
I’d honestly take Clemson’s “no box” than the one we have.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I think so last I remember JP talking about the question, but its been awhile. I assume even if they've managed to sell the current stock out, demand above that isnt significant enough to pay for the additional capacity.
Hmmmm. Sounds like a We Will opportunity

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
$100mil+ for any one of the upgrades being talked about the last few pages. Any of you crying about the press tower got that kind of money? Do you have a simple clue about ISU’s finances right now? Absolutely this thread is here to discuss upgrades, potential renovations, etc. but we aren’t Texas or tOSU who bring in multiple levels more in contributions than we do. Put your money where your fingers are, start donating more. Not an extra $500, but an extra $10K, annually. Then we can think about playing with the big boys.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
When there becomes a demand for extra suite space, then Jamie will look at expanding the "Press Box". Other schools like Iowa use the "press box" space not all for the press but for suites since that's their only place for suites.

Until their is an actual demand for more suites, it it a waste of money to spend millions of dollars for empty space because it looks good! Rental of suites is the only way to pay for it unless YOU are donating the millions needed.

Hmmm.... maybe we could just erect a Hollywood style facade on each side of the current pressbox, so that it "looks good". Yeah, that's the ticket.

Just my opinion. Jack Trice has such a better atmosphere today that when first built - a much more impressive looking stadium. At least we are not spending millions to reduce our seating capacity by several thousand seats like Kansas.