JTS - Music vs. The Crowd

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Having 3 different bands playing three different songs from three different directions was beyond ******* annoying.
I thought the echo effect between the CVMB and the old farts band was entertaining. I think they were trying to play the same song at the same time a couple of times. We were sitting in the middle between the two and should have heard stereo. Instead, there was a "tape delay" from the southwest corner. :D

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Hindsight is 20/20 but I was just happy to see the OSU band make it out of Jack Trice in one piece!

Doing the slow post game shuffle out that exit after the game had me thinking I should buy an assault sousaphone and bring it to the games. Or maybe just rent one until the performance center construction is complete.

• Funny
Reactions: the2ndgoo

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
DistortedEmptyEgret-size_restricted.gif

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What I noticed was the rudeness of the OSU band. When they are making the Kid Captain announcement about this teenager that beat cancer, then had the cancer return, and is now treating for it again, I never heard it at all because the OSU band played through the whole thing. My daughter listened very intently and was able to make out the Kid Captain story. Then when we did the Military Hero of the Game, there was the OSU band playing through the whole thing. Extremely discourteous! Even Boomer Sooner band is less obnoxious, and they are very, very obnoxious.

they don’t try very hard to find a real military hero. That annoys me as a Marine vet

Reactions: t-noah

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I love it when they play songs after TDs. But the song they played after we tied it up was straight up garbage.

and why wasn’t there any tom petty before the 4th quarter?

Isn't Tom Petty played only when we have the lead?

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Notice how your basement is cold and your upstairs is fine/warm? Two people in different areas of the same house will have very different opinions on the temperature.

That's the same as the sound system in a stadium. It's almost impossible to make everyone happy so they do the medium level, which makes almost no one happy.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
they don’t try very hard to find a real military hero. That annoys me as a Marine vet

I feel like they have done better. It used to be just a rotation of area recruiters. Yes they have been in combat but it feels disingenuous. This past Saturday it was an Air Force C-130 pilot who will be leaving for his 8th tour in the middle east after Christmas. Big difference IMO.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

Thank you very much for doing your part to serve and protect this country. I fully respect all who serve in the military because I was never willing to do it, but yet I want the service and the protection. So from my perspective, to call them all a 'hero' is just fine. But I certainly understand why you see it differently, and you have earned the right to feel that way. I have not, and I thank God we have you and others like you that do the job most of us can't or won't do.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Warning - 40ish man complaining about loud music ahead.

There are times when the sound system plays over the top of the crowd noise to the determent of the atmosphere. During the 2nd half on Saturday (I believe it was after we had tied the score) the crowd broke into a "Cyclone Power" chant during a TV timeout. However, before too long the music was cranked and the chant quickly died. By the time the game resumed the crowd was quiet again. This isn't the first time I've noticed it this season.

I understand that the music is also for the players. In general, I think the game day atmosphere inside JTS has improved significantly, and the additions of the scoreboard and sound system are part of the reason. If you don't love "Juicy Wiggle" after a 3rd quarter TD, you're probably a closet Hawk fan. However, whoever is in charge of the sound system needs to learn to "read the room" and occasionally just let the crowd do the work.
I’ll make this comment as another 40 year old that’s confused with music at Jack Trice. Why have they drastically cut back on hard rock/metal aka angry music and started playing more pop? We used to have a steady flow of AC/DC, Metallica, Ozzy, and Motley Crue, now it’s the Juicy Wiggle and techno music. I mean it might beat Jock Jams, but only by a hair.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Thank you very much for doing your part to serve and protect this country. I fully respect all who serve in the military because I was never willing to do it, but yet I want the service and the protection. So from my perspective, to call them all a 'hero' is just fine. But I certainly understand why you see it differently, and you have earned the right to feel that way. I have not, and I thank God we have you and others like you that do the job most of us can't or won't do.

My problem is we have a ton of actual military hero's in Iowa. We just seem to roll anyone in a uniform. Which I kind of dislike. It's more of a crowd thing than actually honoring an actual hero. My son is in Marine Boot camp now and he is not a hero. I am not a hero either. However, I have a bunch of friends who have actually done hero stuff and they don't get contacted. We also have never been contacted for names. Basically just honoring recruiters type deal. Which is fine. Just kind of annoys me. BTW we have a Medal of Honor recipient that we should be paying more attention to in Iowa and we just don't for some odd reason.

Reactions: t-noah

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I could of used more Juicy Wiggle.

This week's Juicy Wiggle felt weak compared to the last game when it followed Brock Purdy's "juicy wiggle." That was awesome! Best ever.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
What I noticed was the rudeness of the OSU band. When they are making the Kid Captain announcement about this teenager that beat cancer, then had the cancer return, and is now treating for it again, I never heard it at all because the OSU band played through the whole thing. My daughter listened very intently and was able to make out the Kid Captain story. Then when we did the Military Hero of the Game, there was the OSU band playing through the whole thing. Extremely discourteous! Even Boomer Sooner band is less obnoxious, and they are very, very obnoxious.

We should have assaulted them. Darn Cyclone fans can't keep a good tradition going. :rolleyes:

Help Support Us

Become a patron