Kansas City BBQ

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I will be heading down to KC in a couple of weeks and would like some suggestions on a few good BBQ places. I have ate at Jack Stacks before and was not impresses with the quality of food for what I had to pay. Anyone know of any good locally owned places?

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I haven't been down to KC in a while however, my best friend goes down there a couple of times a year and they swear by Arthur Bryant's BBQ.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Oklahoma Joe's
Arther Bryant
Gates

Can't go wrong with any of these. Very affordable as well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love Jack Stack, I just don't get the appeal for Bryant's.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Gates has hands down the best BBQ. I would rate them.

Gates
Arthur Bryants
Famous Daves
KC Masterpiece
Jack Stack

Gates is affordable and plentiful. It is a counter place so don't expect to sit down and order. They do have beer if you feel (Like Me) that BBQ is best complimented with it.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I see the usual suspects have been rattled off.

Try LC's. It's in a scary place. It has bars on the windows.

They've got the best burnt ends I've had.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Across the menu, Oklahoma Joe's for the win.

At Gates it is the burnt end on a bun. That is great, but never been a fan of much of the rest of the menu. Both places are counter service, nothing fancy.

Personally I like Jack Stack, but if it isn't your thing, plenty of other options. I found Arthur Bryants okay, but with the other options in town I wouldn't seek it out.

Is there a KC Masterpiece even open anymore? The only one I knew about was off I435 and Metcalf in Overland Park, and that shut down about a year ago.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I concur with the Oklahoma Joe's crowd - that is some awesome BBQ!!!!

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
This should cover the locations of Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joes, Gates and even LC's... I haven't had the chance to get to Gates or LC's yet, but I would put Oklahoma Joes above Arthur Bryant's based upon my experience thus far.

Google Map

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Gates has hands down the best BBQ. I would rate them.

Gates
Arthur Bryants
Famous Daves
KC Masterpiece
Jack Stack

Gates is affordable and plentiful. It is a counter place so don't expect to sit down and order. They do have beer if you feel (Like Me) that BBQ is best complimented with it.

"BUWRNN ENZ"

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
How can you even put Famous Daves in the same sentence as real BBQ joints? You might as well add Applebees... I've been to most of the places in KC and would say that Oklahoma Joes (original location) is the best. I'm not a huge fan og Gates or Aurther Bryants, but I do still go to each of them once in a while. I would also suggest Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ! Danny has some of the best meats in town (sides are not great though). Beyond that, I would say RJ's Bob-B-Q, Johnies, And Smokin Guns are favorites of mine.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
How can you even put Famous Daves in the same sentence as real BBQ joints? You might as well add Applebees... I've been to most of the places in KC and would say that Oklahoma Joes (original location) is the best. I'm not a huge fan og Gates or Aurther Bryants, but I do still go to each of them once in a while. I would also suggest Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ! Danny has some of the best meats in town (sides are not great though). Beyond that, I would say RJ's Bob-B-Q, Johnies, And Smokin Guns are favorites of mine.

HOW? I have eaten at Famous Daves in several different cities and always had a consistent satisfying meal. I think Devil's Spit is the Cat's Meow of Sauces. I wasn't aware that it required a dirty floor and people sweating in my food to qualify as a real BBQ joint. You sound like one of the guys on the board that doesn't believe it is beer unless a micro brewery makes it.