NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Well that was an interesting way to lose.

Beside first team defense getting steamrolled, turned into a good game.

WR room got a little more interesting.

I turned away when NO botched the 2 point conversion to watch the 49 game and see if Purdy got any snaps. Could not believe they lost when I got a phone update. Meaningless, but still so stupid.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It was the first preseason game and Mahomes took only one series of snaps. I did think the Chiefs got a horrible spot on the Mahomes run for first down.
As usual the defense comes out very vanilla and gives up points, we need to get Jones signed and playing. I thought the receiving corps looked very good.
The AFC West is ours to lose, it will come down to the Chiefs and Chargers, while improved the Raiders and Bronco's still are not there yet.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Technical move IMO. Move made with the future in mind.

This allows the team to retain him without having to cut him and expose him to waiver wire.

Note - JuJu, Gordon and Hardman are not signed for next year (not a guarantee Gordon makes roster this yr). My guess is at most 2 of those 3 would be with the club next yr.
I was not an NFL GM in a prior career but I did stay at a holiday inn express one time….

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So Jones is now saying that he is willing to set out until week 8, he has to report at the end of week eight to be a free agent next season. If he refuses to report then, the contact will still be in place next season.

He was fined $1.4 million for missing training camp, and will start missing $1.1 million per game check now that we are getting into the season. If he sits out until the 8 week, that means he will have lost over $9 million dollars. Careers are short enough in the NFL for many, and to miss that many checks, no matter how rich you claim to be, is going to cost him in the future. Throw in the fact that I do not ever remember a person sitting out and coming back to anywhere the salary and production they were at before they sat out.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
So Jones is now saying that he is willing to set out until week 8, he has to report at the end of week eight to be a free agent next season. If he refuses to report then, the contact will still be in place next season.

He was fined $1.4 million for missing training camp, and will start missing $1.1 million per game check now that we are getting into the season. If he sits out until the 8 week, that means he will have lost over $9 million dollars. Careers are short enough in the NFL for many, and to miss that many checks, no matter how rich you claim to be, is going to cost him in the future. Throw in the fact that I do not ever remember a person sitting out and coming back to anywhere the salary and production they were at before they sat out.
I cannot see him forfeiting $9m. I don't believe for a second he'll miss games. I bet he shows up once the preseason games are all over.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah, ask Le'Veon Bell how that worked out for him when he sat out a whole season. Forefeited a whole year of pay and didn't get paid nearly what he thought he would. Went from one of the best RB in the league at the time to out of the league 3 years later. Granted hard to compare being a RB and DT as far as worth and how you are able to replace someone at those positions too. Also who is to say that KC won't just franchise tag Jones after this season too?

Jones is one of the best DT in the league but not for the kind of money he is apparently seeking. I hope they can figure this out sooner than later with him as the Chiefs defense is much better with him in the lineup.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Yeah, ask Le'Veon Bell how that worked out for him when he sat out a whole season. Forefeited a whole year of pay and didn't get paid nearly what he thought he would. Went from one of the best RB in the league at the time to out of the league 3 years later. Granted hard to compare being a RB and DT as far as worth and how you are able to replace someone at those positions too. Also who is to say that KC won't just franchise tag Jones after this season too?

Jones is one of the best DT in the league but not for the kind of money he is apparently seeking.
I hope they can figure this out sooner than later with him as the Chiefs defense is much better with him in the lineup.
That's the problem. If we tag him next year it's like $31M. That's STUPID money for a non-QB, even if he's as good as Jones. Jones does have some leverage here. I believe it would be a different story if the tag was $20M.

I understand Jones wants paid and he deserves to be. But his asking price is a bit much. Aaron Donald's contract cannot be used as a comparison. He also wants more than the others that got paid this offseason. But they're also 3-5 years younger than him. This is his second big contract, that is their first.

Veach seems content with letting guys walk if the money isn't right. Have to trust him at this point.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
That's the problem. If we tag him next year it's like $31M. That's STUPID money for a non-QB, even if he's as good as Jones. Jones does have some leverage here. I believe it would be a different story if the tag was $20M.

I understand Jones wants paid and he deserves to be. But his asking price is a bit much. Aaron Donald's contract cannot be used as a comparison. He also wants more than the others that got paid this offseason. But they're also 3-5 years younger than him. This is his second big contract, that is their first.

Veach seems content with letting guys walk if the money isn't right. Have to trust him at this point.

Would be on the phone with Chicago.
Pitch him to the NFC, with someone that has a high enough draft pick, but also quickly approaching a win now phase.

Core on this team is Mahomes and him alone (Kelce, but not for very long). Reload. Going to need some money for Creed & Bolton.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site

They were talking on 810 yesterday that if he does sit out weeks of the regular season that it would start dropping his tag number next year if the Chiefs did tag him. Not sure how accurate that is as I didn't hear the whole discussion. It is a lot of money for a non-QB. I believe this is the last year we could see Jones with the Chiefs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron