Kara Lawson...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
She probably demonstrated more knowledge of basketball than most people are used to. She broke down plays, and was spot on the execution of key plays. I was a UT women's basketball fan for a long time, and never cared for Kara, especially when she picked Stanford to beat TN in the championship(how can you not pick your alma matter-probably jealous the CP could do it and she didn't), but she does know her basketball, and its refreshing to listen to an announcer that has that depth of reality and knowledge call the game.

Its ironic, but there a lot of women announcers who come out of women's basketball.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
I thought she did a good job too. For a while I thought it was Cheryl Miller because she was the only other female announcer I had ever heard who knew her ****. I wouldn't mind this lady covering more games; which means it probably won't happen. If she was a real hottie then maybe ... but good at what she does ... never happen. Man, I'm getting a bit of an attitude ain't I?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Best part of the game was when Kara was describing a play with the camera focused on her writing on a coach marker board. ESPNU can't afford a telestrator. :biglaugh:

Nobody can ever compare to John Madden on the telestrator. She was wise not even to attempt it!

On topic, I thought she was pretty good. I've heard my share of terrible color commentators in the past covering ISU events, and she was one I'd listen to again.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I give her a good grade too. It may be sexist, but most of the time I find female color commentators to be be subpar.

I give her a better grade than her partner, for sure. IMO she was leaps and bounds better than most of the color commentators we get for the non prime-time games.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Best part of the game was when Kara was describing a play with the camera focused on her writing on a coach marker board. ESPNU can't afford a telestrator. :biglaugh:

That's ESPN's new thing this year - analysts drawing on white boards. I've seen it on all their networks at some point during the season.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Maybe they could liven up a little, but I'd rather have my announcers understated than trying to overpower the game. Cyclone games excepted, if the game isn't exciting enough to carry itself, then I'm probably not going to be watching it for very long anyway.

I turned off the tv as soon as it was announced that Ejim got a T and the other guy got nothing so I didn't hear her commentary on that. Overall I thought she did a very nice job. She does a lot of in studio stuff for ESPN and ESPNU, so it's good that she can go back and give an educated take on ISU if the subject arises.

If I were going to complain about anything regarding our last two ESPN family broadcasts, it's that none of the announcers seem to be able to mention the fact that maybe we're just tired at the end of these games. I don't view it as an excuse when it's a simple statement of fact. That said, it's nice to be on national tv again so I'll let it slide.....for now.

I do know that Lawson did give this at least a passing mention, because they discussed the fatigue factor at the end of the game. She talked about how a jump shooting team will struggle if they're fatigued because their legs get tired and they can't get up for their shot like they usually do. I know that they at least mentioned the number of minutes our guys were playing or the fact that we were only 7 deep a number of times, but I don't think they mentioned it in direct relation to us blowing the game.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I thought she wasn't very good. Trying too hard to predict plays and her break down of possible plays late were horrible.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
She carried Dan McLaughlin. He should stick to doing sports inside the state of Missouri.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I thought she wasn't very good. Trying too hard to predict plays and her break down of possible plays late were horrible.

You mean like where she showed why it was Ejim's fault the 3-pointer wasn't defended, and then on what I think was the second possession of OT they ran the EXACT SAME PLAY and Ejim failed to defend it AGAIN? :confused:

mackm12

Jan 19, 2011
Waterloo IA
I was impressed with Kara. Some of these guys ESPN puts on as announcers are flat out jokes. The whole white board thing was kind of sketchy on ESPN's part. They really can't afford to let her use a telestrator? Unbelievable.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I thought she did well too. I usually do not like female announcers for men's sports, but perhaps that is because there are so few, and the ones I heard have been bad. I thought she called a good game, and was better than most of the 2nd tier game announcers we usually get.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Was Kara Lawson on the UConn team that the Twister Sisters beat in the NCAA tourney? Because during the women's tourney when she does commentary in the studio, she never has a kind word to say about ISU and seems to go out of her way to say negative things about us. It seems like no matter who we're playing, she picks the other team to beat us.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Was Kara Lawson on the UConn team that the Twister Sisters beat in the NCAA tourney? Because during the women's tourney when she does commentary in the studio, she never has a kind word to say about ISU and seems to go out of her way to say negative things about us. It seems like no matter who we're playing, she picks the other team to beat us.

She went to Tennessee, not UConn.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I really liked Bob Knight and Brent Musberger combo when they were doing KU/Baylor. Bob Knight has such a good insight on how bball is played. I thought Kara Lawson did really good job on keeping the comments unbiased. KU vs. Iowa State commentators were AWFUL on ESPN 2. They were all about KU is good this and that. They didnt say anything about Iowa State.