Kayden Fish going portaling

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don’t mean any disrespect to any of these 3 players…. I’m sure they are all great kids, and represented ISU very well, but IMO every one of these will be a case of addition by subtraction.

Just really excited to see who we go get.
Incorrect. That's what you say when malcontents leave. It will work out because we will replace them with better players(in theory), but them leaving is NOT an addition.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
While this "new era" of college BB is tough for fans like us - and for coaches too, I am sure - it must be really, really difficult for kids coming out of HS. If I understand the rules for D1 BB, the signing period for NLI ends on May 15th this year, and the transfer portal closes 45 days after the end of the regular season, which this year would be something like May 1. That does not make it easy for graduating HS seniors to make decisions that could really affect the rest of their lives - both from an education perspective and a sports perspective. For us, its just a game; for them, these decisions are life. That is a short window, when you know coaches are talking to multiple recruits. For example, if you wait until after the portal closes, to see where the team is at talent-wise, the team may have offered someone else who waits until the last minute to sign (or not); if they use up that last scholly, where does that leave the student. Unless you are a very talented player with the clear ability to translate those skills to college (not always known), starting at a lower level with a very good coach who can develop your skills (a DeVries before he left Drake or a Jacobson at UNI) might be a safer bet, knowing that if you do well, you have 2 or 3 years to move up to a higher level program.

Please correct me if I got those dates wrong; there are more knowledgeable people on this forum than me. And yes, some previous posters have suggested the same thing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Players who got the extra "COVID season" are killing playing time for freshman. It means another year of sitting on the bench and waiting... Brutal spot for young kids...

Thankfully we only have one more year for 95% of the extra year nonsense..

Also one more year of Curtis Jones!!

(I think his is a Covid year)

Reactions: Win5002

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Hopefully

But we also have Nojus and Pierce coming in. If Hamilton wasn’t going to be clearly ahead of those two, him leaving would be probable too
How does the coaching staff know that an incoming player will be better? Especially in the case of incoming freshmen. Wasn't Omaha going to be a starter, or at least play a lot?

Reactions: NoCreativity

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
How does the coaching staff know that an incoming player will be better? Especially in the case of incoming freshmen. Wasn't Omaha going to be a starter, or at least play a lot?

Whether they know, they definitely have an idea.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
So ISU is losing two freshman and an under sized soph, and bringing in a 6'11 dude and probably two more grown ass men to play the post and combo guard. Darn. :rolleyes:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
. And I’m ok with that. Plenty of available transfer players

Exactly. There’s no place for developmental pieces in major college basketball anymore. Serious programs are reloading with proven upperclassmen. Unserious programs keep kids who can’t contribute in hopes they improve.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Exactly. There’s no place for developmental pieces in major college basketball anymore. Serious programs are reloading with proven upperclassmen. Unserious programs keep kids who can’t contribute in hopes they improve.
So who are the bottom 3 guys on the roster?

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Kayden was my favorite player. Met him last year on his official visit with Omaha. Sat right next to him and he was a very nice guy.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron