KC BBQ

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I will be in KC next weekend and need advice on prioritizing my BBQ stops. I have had some family recommend Bryant's and Oklahoma Joe's. I've also heard good things about Gates.

Anyone have suggestions on what's best? Any other locations or secret hidden gems?

Thanks.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gates is my favorite. Keep in mind it is not KC style BBQ. Its more in the line of North Carolina BBQ. The other places you mentioned are more KC style.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I will be in KC next weekend and need advice on prioritizing my BBQ stops. I have had some family recommend Bryant's and Oklahoma Joe's. I've also heard good things about Gates.

Anyone have suggestions on what's best? Any other locations or secret hidden gems?

Thanks.

Oklahoma Joes for sure. Also love Jack Stack on the Plaza - if you want a nice sit down joint.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Gates is my favorite. Keep in mind it is not KC style BBQ. Its more in the line of North Carolina BBQ. The other places you mentioned are more KC style.

Gates is most definitely not Carolina BBQ, and is very much Kansas City BBQ.

Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Oklahoma Joe's, and Jack Stack are the big four. People like each for varying reasons, so I say try them all (and then some)!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Oklahoma Joes
Everything else

Protip: Just call ahead to Oklahoma Joes and have your order ready to carryout. It takes FOREVER to stand there and wait in line to eat.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Gates is most definitely not Carolina BBQ, and is very much Kansas City BBQ.

Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Oklahoma Joe's, and Jack Stack are the big four. People like each for varying reasons, so I say try them all (and then some)!

This is good, solid advice....

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
We are staying in Country Club Plaza which is like 2 miles from the original Okla Joe's location, so will probably try that. Also plan on going to Kelly's in Westport to pay homage to the KC Cyclone Gods for continued luck in the tourney. :smile:

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Live in KC and I'm not a fan of Gates or Arthur Bryant's...

OK Joe's for sure and like dtlantz says, hit Woodyards...it's small (in an old house) but they may have the best ribs in KC as far as I'm concerned.

And Jack Stack across from Union Station is a big hit whenever I take people there from out of town...their Crown Prime Beef Ribs are Flintstone's like (huge) and tremendous...as are their beans...

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Live in KC and I'm not a fan of Gates or Arthur Bryant's...

OK Joe's for sure and like dtlantz says, hit Woodyards...it's small (in an old house) but they may have the best ribs in KC as far as I'm concerned.

And Jack Stack across from Union Station is a big hit whenever I take people there from out of town...their Crown Prime Beef Ribs are Flintstone's like (huge) and tremendous...as are their beans...

Live in KC as well and also share your opinion on this. Of the big 4, I would also place Gates and Bryants on the bottom.

OK Joes is fantastic - ZMan sandwich and fried.
Jack Stack also great - Burnt ends with cheesy corn bake and baked beans

And for a location not yet mentioned, BBs Lawnside BBQ. It isn't the worst part of town, but I would suggest a lunch trip on this one if you go.

Reactions: guitarchitect7

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I've had Gates a couple times and thought it was just ok, and I didn't get the novelty of them yelling at you as soon as you walk in the door. I hear nothing but good things about Oklahoma Joes and Jack Stack however.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Oklahoma Joe's. Been several times. I stop every time on the way from/to DFW to Ames. Get the Carolina pulled pork sandwich. Pretty damn good.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Live in KC as well and also share your opinion on this. Of the big 4, I would also place Gates and Bryants on the bottom.

OK Joes is fantastic - ZMan sandwich and fries.
Jack Stack also great - Burnt ends with cheesy corn bake and baked beans

And for a location not yet mentioned, BBs Lawnside BBQ. It isn't the worst part of town, but I would suggest a lunch trip on this one if you go.

Listen to this man. One weird thing about Oklahoma Joes is that their beans are not good. It's usually one of my go-to's for barbecue, but I'd steer clear. Their fries are outstanding (I'd advise sharing an order with someone) and their rings are also very good (but pricey). Z-man, carolina pork and ribs are all really good.

If you go during lunch, try to get there around 1045 to beat the crowd. Oh, and they are closed on Sunday.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
This has got to be at least the sixth thread on this topic, just saying.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Listen to this man. One weird thing about Oklahoma Joes is that their beans are not good. It's usually one of my go-to's for barbecue, but I'd steer clear. Their fries are outstanding (I'd advise sharing an order with someone) and their rings are also very good (but pricey). Z-man, carolina pork and ribs are all really good.

If you go during lunch, try to get there around 1045 to beat the crowd. Oh, and they are closed on Sunday.
Their potato salad is inedible and the smoked turkey tasted like something from the grocery store deli counter. Ribs were decent. I have only tried it once so I have never tried the brisket. I was down at the KC BBQ store a couple of months ago and thought about trying Ok Joes again but decided to pass.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Just my opinion, but you haven't lived until you've had the "burnt ends on bun" at Gates. It's like little charred chunks of heaven.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
One of our favorites when we head to KC is a place called Wabash BBQ in Excelsior Springs, MO. Its located in an old train station. Slightly off the beaten track, but well worth the stop. We usually stop there for lunch on the way into town. Prices are also very reasonable.