KCCI Report

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
It was a pretty harmless mixup that's been fixed. I don't really understand the anger on this one.

Who said I am angry? Annoyed? Sure, but that is hardly the same as being angry. I think my point still stands. Proofread before you post the story or expect people to give you grief over it, especially given that it is the week of the game. Of course it isn't a big deal and mistakes happen, but it is obviously annoying to fans when it happens nearly every year.

People are going to give KCCI hell about it. I am not one of those people to complain to KCCI or make a huge fuss about it, but I will express my being annoyed on the Iowa State sports forum I frequent. Now that it is fixed, sweet - no longer annoyed.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Your columns. Before print.

I've worked at KCCI. I've worked at multiple newspapers. The process isn't the same. Not even close.

This "report" was designed to support the video on the site. He likely wrote it in 20-30 minutes. Forwarded it to one person, not an editor, who posts it online.

These types of reports by a TV station are not getting put through an editing process. They're focused on the video, not the text. Because they are on TV.

Lol at the thought of KCCI having a section editor.

Genuine question, how does a digital editor differ from a section editor? I know KCCI has a digital editor and I figured they would be the editor for online articles.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That reads like it couldn't have been an accident, like how can you mess that up soooo bad. May as well have called us Idaho or Ohio state

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Genuine question, how does a digital editor differ from a section editor? I know KCCI has a digital editor and I figured they would be the editor for online articles.

A digital editor doesn't edit. Titles and responsibilities vary from one place to the next, but they likely manage digital-only reporters and decide which stories to put on the home page, which is similar to how a section editor operates at a newspaper. The KCCI website is designed to get you to watch video. The text is not priority and in some cases is there only for SEO purposes.

Copy editors do the actual editing. KCCI might have a copy editor for their website, but I doubt it. It's up to the reporters or staff writers to get it right on their own.

Editors are titles of power within a newsroom. They don't actually edit. I can tell you that when it comes to journalistic accuracy, newspaper employees take their jobs much more seriously than TV station employees.

Reactions: SimpsonClone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Kcci has this thing for hiring out of state reporters and newscasters that everyone knows will leave after a few months. The guy who wrote this will be no different.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
A digital editor doesn't edit. Titles and responsibilities vary from one place to the next, but they likely manage digital-only reporters and decide which stories to put on the home page, which is similar to how a section editor operates at a newspaper. The KCCI website is designed to get you to watch video. The text is not priority and in some cases is there only for SEO purposes.

Copy editors do the actual editing. KCCI might have a copy editor for their website, but I doubt it. It's up to the reporters or staff writers to get it right on their own.

Editors are titles of power within a newsroom. They don't actually edit. I can tell you that when it comes to journalistic accuracy, newspaper employees take their jobs much more seriously than TV station employees.

Thanks for the insight! I looked it up, and there is so many different responsibilities listed that are different site-to-site so I figured you would probably be able to give me a better answer. Thank you.

Bolded - I figured as much. I don't really expect the same degree of editing and scrutiny for the online article attached to a video clip as I would a DSM Register article. That said, it isn't surprising that people are annoyed when such mishaps occur. It's becoming a game for my brother's and I to predict who/when a media outlet with get our university/team wrong.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Yes well reverse the sentence structure from German and steal a bunch of French, Celtic and pagan words, then don't have any solid rules and after a few thousand years of laziness you have modern English.

I like the fact that Midwestern English is probably closer to what was originally spoken in Britain than modern British is.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What happened to Coonan and Soliday? And the weather guy who did outdoor TV shows?